• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Activity needs traffic file OR won't run it Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Procopius 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

I have Full Bucket Line 2 running nicely in MSTS, and one of the activities I've successfully installed is Copper Train, by Paul Watson. It's a pretty complex task. For some reason it comes with no .trf file(s). MSTS has no problem with this, although Route Riter notes it. Open Rails says it's unable to load the activity, but doesn't give a reason, so I'm just speculating that it's because of this missing traffic file. My question is, could I load the activity into Activity Editor and create a .trf file? I'm so new to this that I haven't created an activity yet, so I don't know if AE necessarily creates one. By the way, is there a slightly more advanced tutorial for creating an activity? I've found a couple that basically explain how to make a single consist, but nothing about designating station stops, creating AI trains, schedules, goals to be accomplished, routes to be followed, etc. I've seen mention of a .pdf book that costs $10 that I'll try to budget for, but there must have been something for the first MSTS modelers. I just haven't found it.

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

>Open Rails says it's unable to load the activity, but doesn't give a reason, so I'm just speculati

Check the OR log file on your desktop, it may give you a clue.

If OR won't load it there is something wrong.

I find that with problems like this that I try to load them with train store and it will tell me whats wrong.

#3 User is offline   Procopius 

• Hostler

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

View Postengmod, on 26 October 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

>Open Rails says it's unable to load the activity, but doesn't give a reason, so I'm just speculati

Check the OR log file on your desktop, it may give you a clue.

If OR won't load it there is something wrong.

I find that with problems like this that I try to load them with train store and it will tell me whats wrong.

Yeah, I hoped it (the OR log) would, but it didn't. I don't have Train Store installed. Is it helpful enough to be worth the extra bother? I've seen it mentioned but haven't really looked into it. I'm suffering from information overload already.

#4 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

When you select the activity in question, be sure to look carefully that all the fields are filled with meaningful data.

Please post the log. It may contain information you might have missed.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/victory.gif

regards,
vince

#5 User is offline   slipperman 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:08 AM

Hi Procopius,
MSTS is quite happy running this activity without a .trf file, but Open Rails rejects it (as you've found!)

Solution:
1. Copy one of the existing .trf files and rename it as "copper train.trf" (one space between the two words, but without the quotes!).
2. Edit the new file as follows :
(i) Leave the first two lines as they are :- SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0f0t______ followed by a space line
(ii) Amend the third line to read : Traffic_Definition ( "copper train" ) - space between words and this time, the quotes are essential.
(iii) Leave the fourth line as it is - it'll be like : Serial ( n ) where n is a number
(iv) Fifth line should just contain a close bracket
(v) Delete all remaining lines from the file, and save it
3. Open the activity file - copper train.act - and edit the Traffic_Definition line to read : Traffic_Definition ( "copper train" ) then save it.
NOTE : this is necessary because the existing name contains a space as its first character and Windows won't let you rename a file with a leading space (see 1.)

Open Rails will now be happy :)

Cheers,
Ged

#6 User is offline   Procopius 

• Hostler

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:38 AM

View Postslipperman, on 27 October 2017 - 05:08 AM, said:

Hi Procopius,
MSTS is quite happy running this activity without a .trf file, but Open Rails rejects it (as you've found!)

Solution:
1. Copy one of the existing .trf files and rename it as "copper train.trf" (one space between the two words, but without the quotes!).
2. Edit the new file as follows :
(i) Leave the first two lines as they are :- SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0f0t______ followed by a space line
(ii) Amend the third line to read : Traffic_Definition ( "copper train" ) - space between words and this time, the quotes are essential.
(iii) Leave the fourth line as it is - it'll be like : Serial ( n ) where n is a number
(iv) Fifth line should just contain a close bracket
(v) Delete all remaining lines from the file, and save it
3. Open the activity file - copper train.act - and edit the Traffic_Definition line to read : Traffic_Definition ( "copper train" ) then save it.
NOTE : this is necessary because the existing name contains a space as its first character and Windows won't let you rename a file with a leading space (see 1.)

Open Rails will now be happy :)

Cheers,
Ged

Sounds like a good idea, except there are no other .trf file. I think I'll go on to other activities. I'm finding it quite hard to get enthusiastic about Open Rails. Browsing the manual has helped with some of my problems with the camera, especially moving the '3' camera to the end of the train after picking up a long consist, but I don't like that the names of the things in the cab don't show when I mouse over them, and the font is too small when I make a change to the throttle or brake setting. Sure, the graphics are a lot better. but once I've gotten used to one way of doing things it's hard for me to change to new ways. Also, I'm getting better at troubleshooting MSTS when I install new routes or activities, so I have even less incentive to change. I'll probably keep messing with it, but there's no great urgency right now.
ETA: I just realized, from your description I can create a .trf file from scratch and bob's your uncle; problem solved.

#7 User is offline   slipperman 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:52 AM

Hi Procopius,
My apologies - when you indicated that you'd installed Full Bucket Line v2, I did the same and got several activities included!

You're quite correct - the info I gave will be sufficient for you to create your own .trf file, but note that it should be in Unicode format. If you're not sure about that, you can take a copy of ANY other .trf file, from any other route, and edit it.

Cheers,
Ged

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users