• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

slowing and stopping a steam loco in OR Best Practices Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jmudd9 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR, TS2019

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:34 AM

I have searched the forums and read the Tutorials on Driving a Steam Loco, but still do not understand the best practices to use in OR to successfully slowing downgrade trains without coming to a complete stop. Is there anyone that can shed more info on this issue. Of particular confusion are the functions of RUNNING and SELF LAP. Thanks.

#2 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:28 AM

The running setting just keeps the brake pipe equalized at 90psi, or whatever pressure it is set for. After making a service reduction in brake pipe pressure you move the brake handle back to the lap position. On most steam models leaving the brake handle in the apply position will allow the brake pipe pressure to continue to drop effectively bringing the train to a stop. When you are ready to release the brakes move the handle to the release position until the equalizing reservoir is back to full pressure, the place the brake handle back in the running position until you need them again.

Also for steep long downgrades retainers were often used. OR has a retainer function but I forget the key command for it. Check the F1 screen or the manual.

#3 User is offline   jmudd9 

• Apprentice

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

jared2982, on 22 October 2017 - 06:28 AM, said:

The running setting just keeps the brake pipe equalized at 90psi, or whatever pressure it is set for. After making a service reduction in brake pipe pressure you move the brake handle back to the lap position. On most steam models leaving the brake handle in the apply position will allow the brake pipe pressure to continue to drop effectively bringing the train to a stop. When you are ready to release the brakes move the handle to the release position until the equalizing reservoir is back to full pressure, the place the brake handle back in the running position until you need them again.

Also for steep long downgrades retainers were often used. OR has a retainer function but I forget the key command for it. Check the F1 screen or the manual.

#4 User is offline   jmudd9 

• Apprentice

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

Thanks Jared. But, if using keyboard commands (the ' and the ; keys) in order to set the brake lever back to the RUNNING position, I effectively eliminate the brake reduction and the train resumes gaining speed downgrade. Am I missing something here?

#5 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

It is the LAP position that holds the brake set, RUNNING does not do that. I cant remember which brake type it is, but there is one that does not have a lap position, and with that system you need to set the retainers on each car to hold the brake set.

#6 User is offline   jmudd9 

• Apprentice

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

jmudd9, on 22 October 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

Thanks Jared. But, if using keyboard commands (the ' and the ; keys) in order to set the brake lever back to the RUNNING position, I effectively eliminate the brake reduction and the train resumes gaining speed downgrade. Am I missing something here?

#7 User is offline   jmudd9 

• Apprentice

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thanks again to all that offered suggestions. I need to digest the info and practice a downhill run in a Cabforward on Donner Pass.

#8 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

Well, the railroads concluded the best practice was to throw some diesels with dynamic brakes up front instead, so you could always try that. ;)

#9 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

It's an art, knowing what set to use on a given grade; Really tough on a changing gradient.
I found a good route to practice the art of brake setting is Austin Yoders Horseshoe Curve route. Starting at Cresson run your steamer down the grade and assuming you have finialized the wag file brake settings for your consist you'll be able to experiment with different lap settings. It's a good steady downgrade perfect for practice.

regards,
vince

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users