Elvas Tower: How to tell what kind of wagon is in a consist - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to tell what kind of wagon is in a consist cryptic file names Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Procopius 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

I started trying to install the Cajon Pass route, because I read a comment that it has lots of large yards and lots of switching/shunting activity. Unfortunately it seems to require some payware stuff which I can't afford. For example the 3DTS_GP20_UP\3DPM_UP_GP20_493.eng. I found a Union Pacific GP20 in upgp20v2.zip, so I can substitute that, but I'm baffled by the 3D Trains\3DTrains_FreightPack_WC.wag. I looked at the 3dtrains.com site and they don't seem to sell freight packs any more. I've got lots of the most common typed of freight wagons/cars and if worst comes to worst I could just substitute anything, but I'm rather literal minded and would like to stay as close as possible to what the creator of the route or activity intended.

#2 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

View PostProcopius, on 15 October 2017 - 09:51 PM, said:

I started trying to install the Cajon Pass route, because I read a comment that it has lots of large yards and lots of switching/shunting activity. Unfortunately it seems to require some payware stuff which I can't afford. For example the 3DTS_GP20_UP\3DPM_UP_GP20_493.eng. I found a Union Pacific GP20 in upgp20v2.zip, so I can substitute that, but I'm baffled by the 3D Trains\3DTrains_FreightPack_WC.wag. I looked at the 3dtrains.com site and they don't seem to sell freight packs any more. I've got lots of the most common typed of freight wagons/cars and if worst comes to worst I could just substitute anything, but I'm rather literal minded and would like to stay as close as possible to what the creator of the route or activity intended.

"I looked at the 3dtrains.com site and they don't seem to sell freight packs any more." Never did as just freight sets. Maybe that is why you can't find any.

Looks like you are searching for stock for an activity that the Activity author has stored in folders and files not the same as per the original release. I beta tested most of Marc's MSTS releases and I don't remember a Wisconsin Central freight car. As I recall the only freight cars he released were WPs with the Feather River Route. He also provided freight cars for the Payware version of the Surfliner route.

I have in my Trainset a folder ..\TRAINS\TRAINSET\3DTrains_FreightPack which contains a WAG filename of FMC_WC.wag but no folder/filename of
3D Trains\3DTrains_FreightPack_WC.wag

Also I wonder about the folder named "3d Trains" as Marc always starts his folders with "3DTrains" with no space.

Looking at my folder 3DTrains_FreightPack I do not find the License.txt file that Marc diligent about including with all his releases. So this may be a repaint using freeware

Might help if you told us which activity & consist you are trying to run.

#3 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

I looked at my 3D Trains stuff, I bought some F Unit packs way way back (the files are dated 2002...). It has a Freight Pack included but all I could find that was close was also the 50ft Wisconsin Central Boxcar that Charles mentioned above...

#4 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

View Postespee, on 16 October 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

I looked at my 3D Trains stuff, I bought some F Unit packs way way back (the files are dated 2002...). It has a Freight Pack included but all I could find that was close was also the 50ft Wisconsin Central Boxcar that Charles mentioned above...

I see that the Shapes and ACE files in that folder are from 2002. And I notice that my JPGs of the WAGs were made in 2004. Really OLD rollingstock.

BTW Richard,
I recommend that you don't refer to Marc Nelson's creations as "3d Trains stuff" and that confuses some to think that you are referring to the rolling stock coming from that "other" company with a similar name.

#5 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

My apologies, it is a more than common English word in everyday use to describe stuff, that 60 years of habit may be hard to break...

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

Freight pack in question - here's the docs that came with mine - the most appropriate and obvious approach would be to find and join the forum and ask the question there.
Active link near bottom of this post.

3DTrains Locomotive Add-on for Microsoft® Train Simulator.
Copyright© 3DTrains. All Rights Reserved.

*** 3DTRAINS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ***

This license applies to all evaluation and standard-licensed versions of the 3DTrains software and all its variants.

3DTRAINS PRODUCT LICENSE

You should carefully read the following terms and conditions before using this software. Unless you have a different license agreement signed by 3DTrains ("3DTrains") your use, distribution, or installation of this copy of the 3DTrains software ("software") indicates your acceptance of this License.

If you do not agree to any of the terms of this License, then do not install, distribute or use this copy of the software.

3DTrains retains all ownership rights to this software. 3DTrains grants the user ("you") a non-exclusive license to use this software for personal use on a single computer. It may not be installed on a single workstation used nonsimultaneously by multiple people. This is not a concurrent use license. This software may not be copied or distributed, in whole or in part, to any format, including digital media, without the express written permission of 3DTrains.

Redistributable Code-Limited Use. If you are authorized and choose to redistribute repaints of 3DTrains rolling stock, you must agree to comply with the following additional requirements:

(a) your Licensed Product repaints shall not substantially duplicate the existing 3DTrains SuperPacks or, in the reasonable opinion of 3DTrains, compete with same.

(B) distribution of retail models in any form is strictly prohibited.

© that you abide by the rules set forth regarding the distribution of routes containing ScaleRail products.

THIS SOFTWARE, AND ALL ACCOMPANYING FILES, DATA AND MATERIALS, ARE DISTRIBUTED "AS IS" AND WITH NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. IN PARTICULAR, THERE IS NO WARRANTY GIVEN AGAINST THIS FILE CONTAINING A VIRUS. GOOD DATA PROCEDURE DICTATES ANY PROGRAM BE THOROUGHLY TESTED WITH NON-CRITICAL DATA BEFORE RELYING ON IT. THE USER MUST ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK OF USING THIS SOFTWARE. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THE AGREEMENT.

ANY LIABILITY OF 3DTRAINS WILL BE LIMITED EXCLUSIVELY TO REFUND OF PURCHASE PRICE. IN ADDITION, IN NO EVENT SHALL 3DTRAINS, OR ITS PRINCIPALS, SHAREHOLDERS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES, CONTRACTORS, SUBSIDIARIES, OR PARENT ORGANIZATIONS, BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RELATING TO THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, OR YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH 3DTRAINS.

IN ADDITION, IN NO EVENT DOES 3DTRAINS AUTHORIZE YOU TO USE THIS SOFTWARE IN APPLICATIONS OR SYSTEMS WHERE THIS SOFTWARE'S FAILURE TO PERFORM CAN REASONABLY BE EXPECTED TO RESULT IN A SIGNIFICANT PHYSICAL INJURY, OR IN LOSS OF LIFE. ANY SUCH USE BY YOU IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND YOU AGREE TO HOLD 3DTRAINS HARMLESS FROM ANY CLAIMS OR LOSSES RELATING TO SUCH UNAUTHORIZED USE.

This Agreement is the complete statement of the Agreement between the parties on the subject matter, and merges and supersedes all other or prior understandings, purchase orders, agreements and arrangements. This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of California. Exclusive jurisdiction and venue for all matters relating to this Agreement shall be in courts and fora located in the State of California, County of Riverside, City of Riverside, and you consent to such jurisdiction and venue.

All rights of any kind in this software which are not expressly granted in this License are entirely and exclusively reserved to and by 3DTrains. You may not rent, lease, modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works based on this software. You may not make access to this software available to others in connection with a service bureau, application service provider, or similar business, or use this software in a business to provide add-on content. There are no third party beneficiaries of any promises, obligations or representations made by 3DTrains herein.

YOU ARE SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED FROM CHARGING, OR REQUESTING DONATIONS, FOR ANY COPIES, HOWEVER MADE, AND FROM DISTRIBUTING SUCH COPIES WITH OTHER PRODUCTS OF ANY KIND, COMMERCIAL OR OTHERWISE, WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM 3DTRAINS. 3DTRAINS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVOKE THE ABOVE DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY OR NO REASON.

3DTRAINS LOCOMOTIVE INSTALLATION & FILE NOTES
BONUS FREIGHT CAR PACK v1.0
File Date: 05.24.07
____________________________________________________________________________________________

- GENERAL INFO
- DISTRIBUTION
- KNOWN ISSUES
- ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- QUESTIONS
- VERSION HISTORY
____________________________________________________________________________________________
GENERAL INFORMATION

The freight cars contained in this download were originally supplied with the Pacific
Surfliner route by FPM. Due to licensing conflicts, however, they are being re-released as
bonus files, which have been graciously provided by our friends at Dekosoft. The files have
been renamed and will not have an effect on existing Surfliner installs.

The 3DTrains Team
DISTRIBUTION

Except where noted, all files, images, and documentation is the property of 3DTrains and
Dekosoft. None of the included files may be distributed without the express written
permission of 3DTrains and Dekosoft.
KNOWN ISSUES

None.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

3DTrains Crew:
- Bjorn Centergran
- Michael Davies
- Rick Grout
- Joseph Hoevet
- Bob Jones
- Marc Nelson
- Michael Stephan
- Alex Stroshane
- Dan Zollner

Utilities:
- Scott Miller AceIt
- Joe Smith/Carlos Gomes ConBuilder
- Paul Gausden MSTS Shape Viewer, Shape File Manager

Testers:
- Kevin Arceneaux
- Chip Buchanan
- Barry Copeland
- Chris Denbow
- Dennis Gauci
- Tom Gerald
- Scott Harlan
- Tim Hunter
- Graig Kawahara
- Kevin Kelleher
- Sean Kelleher
- Joe Maenle
- Clayton Notgrass
- Joe Smith
- Charles Stagg
- Bret Stringer
- Dan Toth
- Andy Whitcomb
QUESTIONS? COMMENTS?

If you have any questions or comments regarding the enclosed software, please feel free to
contact me via email:

support@3dtrains.com

For technical support, please be sure to include your full name, the product(s) you
purchased and/or downloaded, and the specifics of your problems relating to this software,
you can use the Product Feedback & Support forum at 3DTrains:

http://www.3dtrains....orums/index.php

...or you may contact us via snail-mail at:

3DTrains Customer Relations
3764 Harrison Street
Riverside, California 92503-4219
USA
VERSION HISTORY

v1.0 05.24.07
- Public release

v1.0.051907 05.19.07
- Initial beta

#7 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

Could it be from diesels west? They did freight packs I think for the payware cajon pass route released by 3dstrainstuff (not the same as Marc's shop)

#8 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Gerry,

I think you are looking at a different folder. Note at the end of the file you quote:
"VERSION HISTORY

v1.0 05.24.07
- Public release

v1.0.051907 05.19.07
- Initial beta"

What ever date format 05/24.07 is either May 2007 or July 2005 long after I made JPG files in 2004 of the Wagons in my folder ..\TRAINSET\3DTrains_FreightPack.

Well I just found the folder & Files you are referring to. It came from the Zip 3DT_FreightPack_051907.zip. The WAG files it installs are all named in the format like this: Deko_Lo100_ATSF1.wag. And NONE are Wisconsin Central rolling stock like the file the OP is looking for:3D Trains\3DTrains_FreightPack_WC.wag

Procopius,
FYI all the files in the 3DTrains_FreightPack containing a ....WC.WAG are either box cars (SOO, WC and RailBox) or COFCs. The naming format of the COFCs is 60ttx_cofc_1.wag. The box car naming format is FMC_WC.wag.

As to your original question: YES it is sometimes almost impossible to determine what kind of Wagon to use to replace files from just the folder and file name from a Consist file. The Name line within the file is useful but that requires having the file in the first place. Dos not help when the item is not in your trainset. Some roling stock creators use naming conventions like ATSF_40ft_BX_123456.wag but others don't. But even with my example you don't know if that is a 40ft wood sheath or a metal boxcar.

#9 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Yes Charles, but advice to go and register at the forum, still holds.

#10 User is offline   Procopius 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:59 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 16 October 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

Yes Charles, but advice to go and register at the forum, still holds.

I'm already registered at the 3D Trains forum, but it hadn't occurred to me to post a question there. I'll try to remember that in the future. At least I now have some confidence that it's a boxcar, which is a help. My usual procedure is to download all rolling stock listed in the readme file, and then write down the name(s) given in the error messages. I get fatigued, because often MSTS will only list three or five "error reading train database" messages, and then I have to close MSTS and restart it and get three of four entirely new messages. I recently found a new program, MSTS ActMan, which helps locate all the consists for an activity. Also, I probably should go back to using Route Control Lite for an initial check. Unfortunately, I can't always tell where the error is coming from -- sometimes from typos in the consist file, sometimes from the .act file. Well, it keeps me occupied.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users