• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Container pickup object available?? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

For various Gondola and Hopper trains I have already made a lot of "load and unload points". So loading and unloading coal, gravel, grain and sand. Very nice if you do not just want to drive from A to B.

Last a few nice flat cars found with various loads, especially containers. If you combine this with various "pickup types" settings you can load and unload the same train/wagons with different loads/containers and composition!

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-10-06 03-08-19.jpg

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-10-10 12-14-45.jpg

When loading, the containers are put on the train, when unloading, the containers are lifted.

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-10-10 08-35-39.jpg

So far so fun...

Only when searching for "scenery objects" is little to be found regarding "container crane". Certainly no crane that is animated (and can be used as Pickup Object).
Does anyone know if it exists somewhere? (Or that a container "hoist" is to make as pickup object... )

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

Wow, this is great! I didn't now it was possible, even if it's me that wrote that code!
Look here http://www.didi2004.de/ . There is something animated, but I assume it should be modified to be used as a pickup. Look in the "Animierte Objekte" pages.

#3 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:47 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 10 October 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

Wow, this is great! I didn't now it was possible, even if it's me that wrote that code!
Look here http://www.didi2004.de/ . There is something animated, but I assume it should be modified to be used as a pickup. Look in the "Animierte Objekte" pages.

Thanks, I'll look at it.

The principle is simple if the wagon is separate of the load. (Container has its own .s .sd and ACE files).
Below an example of one wagon concerns the ORTSFreightAnims settings.
So you can make as an example 3 different loading points (like "coal or grain or gravel"), each giving its own load/containers and his weight to the wagon. An unload point makes you together with all 3 pickup items, so everything can be unloaded....

#4 User is offline   elvasleis 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:38 AM

View PostQJ-6811, on 10 October 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

Thanks, I'll look at it.

The principle is simple if the wagon is separate of the load. (Container has its own .s .sd and ACE files).
Below an example of one wagon concerns the ORTSFreightAnims settings.
So you can make as an example 3 different loading points (like "coal or grain or gravel"), each giving its own load/containers and his weight to the wagon. An unload point makes you together with all 3 pickup items, so everything can be unloaded....

Attachment tsrFr_Flatcar-0026f3.txt

Where are the lines in tsrFr_Flatcar-0026f3.txt inserted?
For example into an include folder or just into the tsrFr_Flatcar folder.

Regards Geoff.

#5 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:33 AM

View Postelvasleis, on 11 October 2017 - 02:38 AM, said:

Where are the lines in tsrFr_Flatcar-0026f3.txt inserted?
For example into an include folder or just into the tsrFr_Flatcar folder.

Regards Geoff.

In your wagon directory (../trainset/wagon) you create a new directory "OpenRails". (../trainset/wagon/OpenRails).
Rename this file with the same name "<wagon>.WAG" and rename the first line too.
And of course the correct .S name of the container / load and settings as weight, etc.

See also description in OR-manual "9.3.2 OR specific freight animations and pickups".

#6 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

I have used something similar from one of didi's models. With the T key, a coal digger moves from a coal area to a coal wagon. Once the coal is loaded, and the T key release, the digger returns to the original position. The only trouble with a pickup object animation is that OR and MSTS can only recognize two animation frames, which was more than enough for the water tower etc.

Thanks

#7 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:08 AM

It would seem that building empty cars with separate loads is not only a best practice now, but quite possibly the only logical practice. This platform continues to surprise and impress me.

#8 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

This indeed provides many possibilities.
The new German cars (6-axle flat cars) which were last displayed would also be able to load this way. So equal wagons with various loads.......... :)

However, still a little problem. After searching for days, I still can not find anything you can use now as "pick up" object.
The princype is - I think - simple. When activating "T" the crane starts at "8 meters" and goes down in 50 seconds to "3 meters". When released "T", it reverts in 50 sec.
In my mind I have also ideas how you could create an "outdoor" container crane.

But.............. I have no idea how to make an object myself.... :cray: :(
If someone / designer likes this too, please PM me

#9 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:13 AM

A while ago, but an old topic picked up again. Meanwhile, a static object (container crane) brought to life with animation effects. :) so far so good.

Attached Image: Open Rails 2022-02-11 03-50-43.jpg

I only now notice that a "pick-up object" doesn't support animation objects....... (hummm)
Only an "on/off situation", so a one way movement from position "linear_key 0 " to "linear_key 1", when KEY-T is pressed. And a one way move from position "linear_key 1 " to "linear_key 0 ", when KEY-T is released.
Any other ways or further animation is not possible as far as I can test?

An additional problem with "unloading" is that the pickup object, when back to rest state (upper position), you have to release the KEY-T, while for the ORTSFreightAnims you have to hold the KEY-T, to get the load from 100% to 0%.
OK, did some research afterwards, but seems to work as standard in ORTS?

My question:
Does anyone know of a way to make an extended animation work with a pickup object?

( Maybe an idea, like "turntables.dat" or "clocks.dat", to get an animation object working for a pickup object? No idea if that's possible. )

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 February 2022 - 01:27 AM

Hi QJ-6811,
I'm desiring since considerable time to have something like this implemented into OR.
If you want to send me the crane (if possible already with the animations in the various directions, even if not active) I can see if something specific to handle this can be added into OR. When I developed the discrete ORTSFreightAnims, I had in mind such extensions. However, no promise about results :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users