• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unable to load .sms Can't find what is calling for this file Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Procopius 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

I recently installed an activity on the Innsbruck - St. Anton line, the Austrian Alp Cruisers (aalpcrser.zip). When I start to run the activity, MSTS returns me to the desktop with an error message, "Train database error: File: ../../Common.Snd/Genesis/alias/Genesis.sms." MSTS is still running, and I can return to it and play the activity. It's a long one and I haven't played it for very long, so I don't know if there are more glitches further on. Of course there is no such file and no such folder (well, there's a common.snd folder, and there's a Genesis folder in TRAINSET, but no Genesis.sms anywhere).

Normally, when I see something like this, I can track it down pretty quickly. If nothing else I find the file calling for the missing file and delete or edit it as appropriate. In this case there is no file anywhere on my hard disk that contains this string. I used Windows Explorer to search. I used WinRAR to search in all the zip files. I used Route Riter. I even used grep. When I didn't believe grep returning nothing, I created a test file containing the phrase, and grep found it, but no other file. Anyone have a suggestion? This is not a huge problem, but is annoying.

#2 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:16 PM

Have a look thru the eng and wag files, maybe one of them uses genesis.sms ?

Maybe should be GenesisEng or GenesisCab.sms

Most of the stuff is from NALW so most stuff probably uses the files from the common.snd genesis folder.

#3 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:09 AM

Hi Procopius,
Although it's not mentioned in the activity's readme, you must download and install gen_pak1.zip as it contains the cabview and sounds for gen_pak2. It is mentioned in the gen_pak2 readme.

Cheers,
Ged

#4 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:07 AM

I did not get the specific sms error Procopius had, but I did get a shedload of other errors...

Some of the usual ones that OR throws up, like missing anims in speedposts etc

But also missing/misnamed Paths, missing files, missing downloads not mentioned in the readme, errors in default stock etc etc

Eventually fixed most of them, perhaps this activity was made for MSTS which "ignored" or worked around those "errors"...

#5 User is offline   Procopius 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

View Postslipperman, on 08 October 2017 - 04:09 AM, said:

Hi Procopius,
Although it's not mentioned in the activity's readme, you must download and install gen_pak1.zip as it contains the cabview and sounds for gen_pak2. It is mentioned in the gen_pak2 readme.

Cheers,
Ged

Thanks, Slipperman. I stumbled across it. It's actually mentioned in gen_pak2, which mentions in passing that it depends on gen_pak1. Gaaaahhhh! Most of my difficulties seem to come from lack of attention to details in the readme files. I do read them all, it's just that I've lost my attention span. I blame the internet. Getting old couldn't possibly have anything to do with it. I ended up installing gen_pak3 &4. Normally when I run Route Riter I skip having it check for missing sound files; today I had it check and got a bunch. Most of them refer to files that should be in common.snd. I try to comfort myself that the only people who don't make mistakes are people who don't do anything. Well, I'm learning a little bit every day, but I still don't understand why grep didn't find anything. After all, these are all basically text files. grep doesn't pay attention to file extensions. They weren't used in Unix.

#6 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

Hi Richard,
I'm using MSTS, so it may explain why I didn't get so many errors, although Route_Riter only reported two missing locos. These are P42s numbered 157 and 161 and, as I couldn't find a source, had to replace them with other P42s.

I've just run the activity using Open Rails and it started without problem, although many .sms file errors were reported; these were confirmed when I ran my MSTS_Check utility.

Cheers,
Ged

#7 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

Hi Ged,

I was lucky enough to have the P42's, the readme is dated 2003 :D

OR picked up stream errors in the 380 - which I have never used in OR

OR reported a missing path, a bit strange, it wanted CCcrser (Traffic 1).pat
So I just copied AAlpcrser (Traffic 1).pat and renamed it...

The Jet Train also expected to find at_pamb_full1.wav and at_pamb_lite1.wav in the Acela folder ?
Which weren't installed but I did manage to find them on a hard-drive.

16 years of MSTS downloads does help sometimes :)

#8 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

View Postespee, on 08 October 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

OR picked up stream errors in the 380 - which I have never used in OR

Stream errors are usually miscounts of the number of streams in a certain section.
Sms file has "Streams ( 25" when there are only 22.
Not really important, but too many sound warnings popping up may cause OR to hiccup,
I take the time to correct as many errors as I can.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users