• You cannot reply to this topic

Timetable Editor does not run in Windows XP Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:16 AM

Hi,
I see that the x3892 version was the last 32 bit compilation, for the Contrib.TimetableEditor.exe file. Since the X3899 version, it has been changed to a 64 bit compilation.
There is a bug report.

Regards,
Mauricio

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

View Postmbm_OR, on 07 October 2017 - 12:16 AM, said:

I see that the x3892 version was the last 32 bit compilation, for the Contrib.TimetableEditor.exe file. Since the X3899 version, it has been changed to a 64 bit compilation.
There is a bug report.

While this change was likely accidental, I am not going to fix this. Windows XP is years out of support and even large commercial (and pseudo-commercial) software has stopped supporting it. Of the collective time we could spend setting up the "fix", I would much rather it went on getting people to use a supported OS.

It is very likely that Open Rails 1.3 will also be the last version that runs on Windows XP.

#3 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

When will version 1.3 be available for download?

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/oldstry.gif

#4 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 12 November 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

Windows XP is years out of support...

I completely agree that Windows XP is obsolete.
But some users continue to use this operating system. Maybe they can not afford a better one.

Anyway, I already had the patch that allows us to build the 32-bit version of the TimetableEditor.exe file.

Regards,
Mauricio

Attached File  timetableedit.lpi.patch.txt (491bytes)
Number of downloads: 4

#5 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

View Postthegrindre, on 12 November 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

When will version 1.3 be available for download?

I'm expecting 2018 Q1.

View Postmbm_OR, on 12 November 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

Anyway, I already had the patch that allows us to build the 32-bit version of the TimetableEditor.exe file.

I tried applying the patch, and it does not compile.

Error: ppc386.exe can't be executed, error message: Failed to execute ""ppc386.exe" -B -Twin32 -MObjFPC -Scghi -O1 -g -gl -l -vewnhibq -FuC:\Lazarus\packager\registration\ -FUC:\Lazarus\packager\units\i386-win32\ fcllaz.pas ", error code: 2

If I need to install the add-on mentioned in the bug, then this will not be fixed.

#6 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 13 November 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

I tried applying the patch, and it does not compile.

I have installed the Lazarus 1.6.4 for Windows 64 bit latest version (lazarus-1.6.4-fpc-3.0.2-win64.exe) and it is necessary the add-on lazarus-1.6.4-fpc-3.0.2-cross-i386-win32-win64.exe, to compile without error. This add-on is for Lazarus program, only.

After running Buil.cmd, it compiles this TimetableEditor.exe 32 bit version:
Attached File  Contrib.TimetableEditor.zip (1.02MB)
Number of downloads: 1

Regards,
Mauricio

Edited: 11/13/2017.

#7 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:32 PM

View Postmbm_OR, on 13 November 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

I have installed the Lazarus 1.6.4 for Windows 64 bit latest version (lazarus-1.6.4-fpc-3.0.2-win64.exe) and it is necessary the add-on lazarus-1.6.4-fpc-3.0.2-cross-i386-win32-win64.exe, to work properly.

Right, and this makes it beyond what I am willing to do to fix this issue, sorry.

#8 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 12 November 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

While this change was likely accidental, I am not going to fix this. Windows XP is years out of support and even large commercial (and pseudo-commercial) software has stopped supporting it. Of the collective time we could spend setting up the "fix", I would much rather it went on getting people to use a supported OS.

It is very likely that Open Rails 1.3 will also be the last version that runs on Windows XP.

I would hope that a clear indication to eliminate WinXP (but really 32 bits) in any of the Open Rails current builds/releases should be readily forthcoming by the author instead of users "discovering it" the hard way. I hope we have not forgotten that Win7 still exists in 32 bit form and is not in EOL yet.

Win XP is only a "few" years out of support and like so many others who do useful work, I still use it. I spend more time working than upgrading to what Redmond thinks I should give up my privacy for, not to mention Intel's ME. "Unsupported" software does not mean useless software.

So if we are "h e l l bent" on dumping Win XP with version 1.3 of Open Rails, all of the releases up to that point should work in Win XP. When version 1.3 is released I hope it is worth all the "displacement" with triple the performance, otherwise why did we dump the 32 bit version in the first place?

You wouldn't happen to browse the web with an Odroid C2? A computer on a credit card sized board that rarely consumes 10 watts max of power. That puts all of the "upgrades" into perspective.

#9 User is offline   markyisri 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:29 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 13 November 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

I would hope that a clear indication to eliminate WinXP (but really 32 bits) in any of the Open Rails current builds/releases should be readily forthcoming by the author instead of users "discovering it" the hard way. I hope we have not forgotten that Win7 still exists in 32 bit form and is not in EOL yet.

Win XP is only a "few" years out of support and like so many others who do useful work, I still use it. I spend more time working than upgrading to what Redmond thinks I should give up my privacy for, not to mention Intel's ME. "Unsupported" software does not mean useless software.

So if we are "h e l l bent" on dumping Win XP with version 1.3 of Open Rails, all of the releases up to that point should work in Win XP. When version 1.3 is released I hope it is worth all the "displacement" with triple the performance, otherwise why did we dump the 32 bit version in the first place?

You wouldn't happen to browse the web with an Odroid C2? A computer on a credit card sized board that rarely consumes 10 watts max of power. That puts all of the "upgrades" into perspective.

Not trying to start a fight here but there are people, like myself, who choose to run a 32-bit OS even though they have a 64-bit processor. As you likely know, NTVDM is not supported on 64-bit. Also, 32-bit consumes less RAM.

However, looking at it from James' perspective, I can see that it could take work to reverse changes that have already been done, and with 64-bit taking over these days, it probably makes no sense to reverse it.

I'm not sure how much changed in the timetable editor itself since release X3892. It's possible you could continue to use the old version. Besides, it's quite easy to use another spreadsheet program to make the timetables, since they're in a standard CSV format separated by semicolons.

As for OR dumping XP, that should not be questioned in 2017, when XP is already out of support and we've had three years to move on to newer and better versions.

#10 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 13 November 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

So if we are "h e l l bent" on dumping Win XP with version 1.3 of Open Rails, all of the releases up to that point should work in Win XP.

In an ideal world, yes, but it depends on having a volunteer with the skills and there are more interesting items on the wish list a volunteer could tackle . . .

P.S. James wrote that v1.3 would support Win XP, but not after that. In many ways, it's holding back Open Rails.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users