• You cannot reply to this topic

Error: Failed to create Cab view crashed MSTS Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:52 AM

Hi Procopius,
If you're referring to " US Narrow Gauge 65 Ton Whitcomb Diesel Switcher by Captain Bazza" it uses the default GP38 cabview. Just copy the contents of the GP38 cabview into the 'Whitcomb's CABVIEW folder and you should be good to go. If you need a more suitable cabview, there are plenty on trainsim.com, but you'll need to amend the Cabview line in the Whiston's .eng file and/or add appropriate files into its CABVIEW folder.

If you are stuck, post here which cabview you wish to use and we'll put you on the right "track" !!

Cheers,
Ged

#12 User is offline   Procopius 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:28 AM

View Postslipperman, on 30 September 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

Hi Procopius,
If you're referring to " US Narrow Gauge 65 Ton Whitcomb Diesel Switcher by Captain Bazza" it uses the default GP38 cabview. Just copy the contents of the GP38 cabview into the 'Whitcomb's CABVIEW folder and you should be good to go. If you need a more suitable cabview, there are plenty on trainsim.com, but you'll need to amend the Cabview line in the Whiston's .eng file and/or add appropriate files into its CABVIEW folder.

If you are stuck, post here which cabview you wish to use and we'll put you on the right "track" !!

Cheers,
Ged

Sounds easy enough. I don't remember now why I had problems with it, but I've learned a lot in just a few days. It'll be a couple of days before I can get to it, though. Family activities require my attention. I really do appreciate all the help I've gotten.

#13 User is offline   Procopius 

• Hostler

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:03 AM

View PostProcopius, on 30 September 2017 - 06:28 AM, said:

Sounds easy enough. I don't remember now why I had problems with it, but I've learned a lot in just a few days. It'll be a couple of days before I can get to it, though. Family activities require my attention. I really do appreciate all the help I've gotten.

OK, I copied the GP38 cabview over and also the sounds folder. Bob's your uncle, except... I made up a consist with the BZZ_USNG_Whitcomb_CasperD and three passenger cars. I open up the Death Valley RR route and there's only an explore activity. When I select my engine, at first there's quite a loud engine sound, but once I start moving there seems to be only the sound of clicks and squeals from the cars. No engine sound. Well, it's late here and I'm for bed. Dig into it a little more tomorrow. The important thing is I've got a cabview now.

#14 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:34 AM

It sounds like one of two things: either you don't have all the sounds you need, or you have all the sounds, but the .sms file has a different name in that slpot. If you're using OR, the logfile will at least tell you what to look for

#15 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

Hi Procopius,
You do not need the gp38 sounds - but you can leave them in the SOUND folder as they are not used.

In the BZZ_USNG_Whitcomb_CasperD folder there's a file called SmallShunterSndsV1-0.exe. Run this and sounds will be installed in Common.Sound folder in your TRAINSET folder. The loco is aliased to sounds in this folder. I believe you've done all this and ended up with the "strange" sounds you describe! This is because you have to (pretend to) start the engine by pressing B on the keyboard. If you don't want to do this, open the loco's .eng file, locate Sound lines and change cab01 to cab02 and eng01 to eng02, leaving the remainder of each line intact. After that, when you start Explore or an Activity with the loco, it'll start in idling mode. This is all covered in the readme in the BRClass07 folder in Common.Sound.

Of course, the above won't work as I've described if you've changed the .eng file's Sound lines to point to another set of sounds!

Cheers,
Ged

#16 User is offline   Procopius 

• Hostler

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

View Postslipperman, on 01 October 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

Hi Procopius,
You do not need the gp38 sounds - but you can leave them in the SOUND folder as they are not used.

In the BZZ_USNG_Whitcomb_CasperD folder there's a file called SmallShunterSndsV1-0.exe. Run this and sounds will be installed in Common.Sound folder in your TRAINSET folder. The loco is aliased to sounds in this folder. I believe you've done all this and ended up with the "strange" sounds you describe! This is because you have to (pretend to) start the engine by pressing B on the keyboard. If you don't want to do this, open the loco's .eng file, locate Sound lines and change cab01 to cab02 and eng01 to eng02, leaving the remainder of each line intact. After that, when you start Explore or an Activity with the loco, it'll start in idling mode. This is all covered in the readme in the BRClass07 folder in Common.Sound.

Of course, the above won't work as I've described if you've changed the .eng file's Sound lines to point to another set of sounds!

Cheers,
Ged

Ah, I overlooked that SmallShunterSnds file. Luckily I hadn't changed any entries in the .eng file, because it already pointed to the g38.cvf file. OK, I'd better print out that readme. Many of my problems stem from overlooking some step that is right there in front of me. Reminds me of learning Z80 Assembly Language; the damned machine does what you tell it to, not what you meant to tell it to do. Easy enough as long as you pay attention to the details.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users