• You cannot reply to this topic

Going beyond the 4 GB of memory Rate Topic: -----

#171 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

View PostIcik, on 28 November 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

Yes, this jumping does me too. It may help lock the FPS or set up the vertical synchronisation on 60fps.

May I ask how can I lock a certain amount of FPS on ORTS? I cannot find such an option. Plus I did try the "auto-tuning" setting which does not help with this.

View PostCsantucci, on 28 November 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

This may occur if the dispatcher window is open, which is update once every second. Maybe you have some background program periodically running?

Normally I do have several other apps open in the background, but even if I don't, I still experience the same thing.

#172 User is offline   Icik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostPA1930, on 28 November 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

May I ask how can I lock a certain amount of FPS on ORTS? I cannot find such an option. Plus I did try the "auto-tuning" setting which does not help with this.

For example with BandiCam, MSI Afterburner, ...

#173 User is offline   Icik 

• Conductor

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 28 November 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

This may occur if the dispatcher window is open, which is update once every second. Maybe you have some background program periodically running?

Carlo, XNA OR does it too, but not so noticeable. Maybe a process is run in MG as a dispatching application and causes desynchronization.

#174 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:-

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

According to the advice given by the user "tomasvon" on the Czech forum ( here: https://forum.msts.c...p?threads/5403/ ), he advised to limit the FPS through NVIDIA Inspector. I have done so and it has solved my problem.

Thanks to both for the suggestions. :)

#175 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

In the meantime I found out another thing that worked well with MG 3.5 and doesn't well with the actual MG versions. If the Fast full screen alt tab option is checked, switching to full screen does not work well.

#176 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

I was able to do some testing and discovered the following:

1) ORMG (Open Rails MonoGame) will pop out of full screen and hide itself when runactivty is running if you have a screensaver enabled. Once this has happened the user has to press Alt-Enter several times to get back the full screen as it was. This can happen when the user does not touch the mouse or keyboard in AutoPilot mode.

2) ORMG does not disable the shutting down of your display, and thus can go blank and lose sound if you have the O/S power management set to do so. This can happen when the user does not touch the mouse or keyboard in AutoPilot mode.

3) I am pretty sure that with OR XNA 1) and 2) does not happen. It took me a little while to guess why this was happening. I thought that ORMG was crashing the video card!

4) At present I am very lucky to have access to an Nvidia 1080ti with 11Gb of memory. Thus far multisampling does not hurt frame rates at all which I have left pegged at 60 FPS. With "shadow all shapes" enabled, the card seems to handle 6000+ primitives with ease. I am using 3, 4096 shadow maps at about 450 meters max shadow distance.

5) Please do NOT get rid of multisampling, which looks MUCH better than without it enabled. Thank you!

6) I would have to compare similar versions of OR XNA and ORMG to see if there is really a difference in max performance. Like others, the amount of memory used by ORMG is a fraction of what OR XNA uses. I am sure that this reduces the CPU rendering overhead by at least half.

7) One of the unpleasant side effects of ORMG is that the user has lost control of the video settings with regard to how AA is accomplished. The Nvidia Inspector does nothing at all to control the video card, at least in my experience. This is the opposite of what can be done with OR XNA. I hope there is a method that allows the user to set what AA method he/she wishes to use in the near future. I can see that with less powerful video cards multisampling can bring the FPS to its knees.

8) Since .Net 4.52 cannot be installed, by design, Win XP has been killed for this version of ORMG (ver 3.6).

I have limited the viewing distance to 3200m because of poorer performance in OR XNA. I will see what happens when I abuse ORMG with longer viewing distances!

Thank you Carlo for resurrecting Mr Gulyas' work.

#177 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 27 November 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

No need to post a screenshot... fps for MG version was identical to stock OR at > 13,000 object primitives -- 24fps.

Specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 [Display adapter] (2x)

I have a set of GTX 770 with 2 GB in SLI. Yes, these cards leave a lot to be desired in 2017 with AA enabled. So I am not surprised and I can imagine that they are running VERY HOT too.

How are you getting 13,000 object primitives, extended viewing distance or have you crammed super dense forest regions in your world files...etc?

Thanks!

#178 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:02 AM

8) Since .Net 4.52 cannot be installed, by design, Win XP has been killed for this version of ORMG (ver 3.6).

But .. if MonoGame works on linux, it works in mono too, not only microsoft net. So, there should be possible to compile monogame version that works on mono on windows xp.

#179 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:10 AM

OR 4018 in MonoGame version
http://www.interazio...e/OR4018_MG.zip
OR source files patch
Attached File  Monogame_4018.zip (52.77K)
Number of downloads: 331

#180 User is offline   Icik 

• Conductor

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for a gift, Carlo! :sign_thanks:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic