• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam Smoke Drift Optional? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   rrfan96 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

Biggest problem as I've run steam locos in OR is the fact that there is always a constant 200mph wind snapping the smoke the side. The effect is interesting, however, are there any plans to make the wind and wind direction an option? Among other things, it really hurts stuff like rotary snow plows and aesthetically can look poor at times (again...never seen smoke from a loco be blasted that fast...maybe there are constant wind storms in this alternate universe? :rotfl: ). Also, what are the plans for smoke colliding with terrain?

If there is another thread discussing this I apologize, did not find one and it's been a while since I've been here. :p

#2 User is offline   Railroad Librarian 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

I agree with these comments but I would dearly love to see a longer lasting and more expansive smoke effect that spreads much longer and last longers as well.

#3 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:36 PM

I've noticed the same thing with diesel exhaust, since that's most of what I drive. It seems to get stronger with time, from a slight breeze to a point where the local wind gauge is horizontal

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: wyoming-chain-windsock.jpg

#4 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

Smoke eats cpu processing . . . so neater smoke = less overall performance . . . http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif
vince

#5 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:54 PM

That maybe so, Vince but, I like my smoke.
Just look at the difference between MSTS and the sick attempt of ORTS.

Attached Image: smoke1.jpg

Attached Image: smoke2.jpg

The beauty in MSTS' smoke is awesome.
Now, that's smoke! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/good2.gif

Attached Image: smoke3.jpg

Attached Image: smoke4.jpg

You call this smoke??? ORTS can't hold a candle to MSTS' smoke.
Puff puff, choo choo, Thomas the train is here. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif

I know the team can do better then this. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/good.gif

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/oldstry.gif

#6 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:45 AM

I find the same exact issue with the Open Rails smoke. Yes I like the way there is wind to blow the smoke around but its way too much some times and will even go in front of the locomotive at times. The cylinder smoke is also very wimpy. It kind of just wisps out and blows all over the place because of the wind effect and the smoke for the Cylinders needs to be forced out not just a little stream of smoke. Another thing I would like to see with the Open Rails smoke is actual Puff per revolution. That is one big factor for myself that bugs me about Open Rails. There is a lot of work that still needs to be done with the Open Rails smoke and there are some other games out there that I don't care to use but you look at there smoke and think wow why cant Open Rails smoke be like that or some thing similar? I think both diesel and steam locomotive smoke needs to be reworked. You have the right concept but its not realistic at all and is really a downfall with Open Rails. You guys are doing a wonderful job on everything else though and cant wait to see what else comes out.

Brandon

#7 User is offline   rrfan96 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

At least allow us to change the wind speed I say. Earlier builds (which I don't have because of a HDD corruption 2 years ago) had decent performance AND better looking smoke. Because by better looking, I mean not scattered to winds like a bunch of dust.

I agree with Rick, the OR smoke is rather depressing and messy. But you could immediately improve that and with the same performance if the wind was gotten rid of or at least slowed down. The amount of particles would be the same (depending on the locomotive), but cleaned up so it's not being dragged halfway across the globe.

#8 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

Rick,
Those engines are in serious need of smoke adjustment!
None of my engines look like the effects I see from yours . . . or some of them DID before I adjusted them.
Have you adjusted any of your engines?

Some MSTS smoke adjustments look terrible if the engine files are not setup correctly.

If there is a 30 mph wind from the rear of a train making 20 mph of course the smoke will blow forward of the engine. That's pretty basic. Agreed that the wind speed could use a bit of tweaking but I have never seen it as excessive.
Here's two shots of a K4. Nothing I see here to complain about.

K4 at Hempstead Terminal
Attached Image: K4 Smoke 2 Hempstead.jpg

K4 departing from Hempstead
Attached Image: K4 Smoke1.jpg
I like this engine just fine. Smoke color changes with engine load and firing. Better than MSTS ever was.

regards,
vince

#9 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

Is there any way to get the smoke a bit further into the sky before it starts curving back over the train? An engine working hard up a hill at a slow climb would force the exhaust almost straight up for 10 to 20 feet before it would drift back over the train. Just curious if it is possible or will be at some point. I agree the steam/smoke still need some work but great job so far.

#10 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:31 PM

Wasn't this conversation put forth at least a couple of times. Somebody was going to do something about it but nothing much was ever done with it. I don't want to mention any names. Either the team hasn't got this on the front burner or there is little interest in it. It takes people to tackle all the requests put forth. They'll get to it eventually.

Rick

Your smoke does look a little wimpy. Seems like back a year or so ago the smoke effects looked much better. Wonder what changed?

Allen

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users