• You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS and Pro Physics by Bill Prieger Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

Greetings everyone!

I am experiencing a problem while playing ORTS and need some help with it, as I am not savvy with this particular thing.

Back in the days when I way only playing MSTS I had all of my rolling stock and locomotives updated to Pro Physics by Bill Prieger. I did that "by the book" - following his tutorial and making changes to the .eng files using Route Riter.

Now that I have switched to ORTS, I have all of my old rolling stock with updated physics. I also have a habit of updating all new rolling stock to his Pro Physics, but there seeems to be a problem now. The problem is that now when I start to drive in ORTS, I get a "you were travelling too fast for this curve and have snapped a brake hose" message even though my speed is significanlty lower than the maximum speed allowed for this section of the track.

I tried to run a consist with a loco and a couple of wagons that WERE NOT updated to Pro Physics described above, and they worked normal without having this problem. But, when I switch back to a consist with rolling stock updated to Pro Physics, I always get this message, so I assume the upgraded part is making problems.

Can anyone tell me if that really is the problem and is Pro Physics by Bill Prieger compatible with ORTS?

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

The OR team has created a bunch of new physics parameters and it is the absence of several of them that causes the message you see.

You want to add, at a minimum, these:

ORTSTrackGauge ( 4ft 8.5in )
ORTSRigidWheelBase ( 5ft 6in )
ORTSBearingType ( Friction )
ORTSUnbalancedSuperelevation ( 6in )
CentreOfGravity ( 0m 1.1m 0m )

Adjust values as needed with an eye towards guessing the CentreOfGravity() based on car type and lading.

#3 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

View PostBorislav, on 14 September 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Greetings everyone!

I am experiencing a problem while playing ORTS and need some help with it, as I am not savvy with this particular thing.

Back in the days when I way only playing MSTS I had all of my rolling stock and locomotives updated to Pro Physics by Bill Prieger. I did that "by the book" - following his tutorial and making changes to the .eng files using Route Riter.

Now that I have switched to ORTS, I have all of my old rolling stock with updated physics. I also have a habit of updating all new rolling stock to his Pro Physics, but there seeems to be a problem now. The problem is that now when I start to drive in ORTS, I get a "you were travelling too fast for this curve and have snapped a brake hose" message even though my speed is significanlty lower than the maximum speed allowed for this section of the track.

I tried to run a consist with a loco and a couple of wagons that WERE NOT updated to Pro Physics described above, and they worked normal without having this problem. But, when I switch back to a consist with rolling stock updated to Pro Physics, I always get this message, so I assume the upgraded part is making problems.

Can anyone tell me if that really is the problem and is Pro Physics by Bill Prieger compatible with ORTS?

As noted, you may need to add a few things for ORTS to be truly happy with your revised physics in general. But your immediate curve-related probably is because you have curve-dependent speed limit turned on in the ORTS options. ORTS-determined speed limit when that option is on can be 10mph or more below the general speed limit for that section of track. Rather than derailment (at low overspeeds) you'll get errors like the brake hose message that stop everything. Unless you know you want it and how it works, turn off the curve-dependent speed limit option; curve-dependent resistance works fine, however.

#4 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

Thank you, guys, for answering me!

Turning off the "Curve dependent speed limit" DID solve the problem, but I am left wondering do I really need to add these lines to make things work correctly?

ORTSTrackGauge ( 4ft 8.5in )
ORTSRigidWheelBase ( 5ft 6in )
ORTSBearingType ( Friction )
ORTSUnbalancedSuperelevation ( 6in )
CentreOfGravity ( 0m 1.1m 0m )

If so, do these lines also have to be added to non-modified .eng and .wag files? And where exactly do I have to add them?

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

Anything you add makes those .wags or .engs unusable in MSTS, whether it's from the above list or any other OR only item. They're all intended to improve physics. There are solutions for that problem, the easiest is mine: I don't care because they're edited copies of pure MSTS files installed in mini-routes that are OR-only. The originals are set aside in a file library for MSTS only use. For me, those are an archival original because I never run routes in MSTS anymore... only occasional use of AE and RE, both of which expect working .wags and .engs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users