Elvas Tower: Mouse control for 3D Cabs - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mouse control for 3D Cabs Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

I must be doing something wrong. I have a sample locomotive (the DF11G mentioned in the OR docs) where the mouse control works, but mouse control does not work in any of my test 3D cabs. Is there something extra that I need to do besides name the parts and add entries for the controls in the cvf file?

#12 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

Excellent! However, what MSTS did was pop up a box identifying the control when you simply moused over it. No click needed unless you were choosing that control to operate - then you clicked (and held, iirc, to drag) the left mouse button to operate the control, say, the throttle or an active electrical switch. I've missed that in OR, especially in the more complex cabs; great that we're getting it! Now if only everything actually moved when a control is operated - many cabs I have don't move levers when they are operated by the keyboard, especially but not exclusively brakes.

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

Following Mike's suggestion and after having checked how MSTS worked (not bad), with the attached patch files for x.3951 simply moving the mouse over the cab you will get the name of the actuation controls when the mouse reaches the right points, and the cursor icon will change to "hand". So you know where to click then to actuate the command. This works both for 2D and 3D cabs. As up to now it must be highlighted that commands for levers and analogous things that have multiple positions must be performed moving the mouse horizontally (for rotating controls and for horizontally moving levers) or vertically (for vertically moving levers) in the direction defined within the .cvf file (so no rotating movements with the mouse). I hope these rules apply for all controls (I didn't yet make many tests). Another point is that you must always start movement at a point where you get the "hand" cursor. So if you move a rotating throttle lever from 0% to 100% you will move the mouse from center e.g. to the left. If after having released the mouse you want to return to zero you must start from a point where you get the "hand" cursor for that control and go to the right.
Attached File  Runactivities_3Dmouse_rev4.zip (650.62K)
Number of downloads: 471

Referring ErickC post, I don't know. Maybe your controls have their root outside of the cab camera viewing area? If you are able to provide me a complete kit I can have a check.

20/9/17: New release solving ErickC problem
22/9/17: New release solving the Dynamic Shadows problem

#14 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 19 September 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

Referring ErickC post, I don't know. Maybe your controls have their root outside of the cab camera viewing area? If you are able to provide me a complete kit I can have a check.

Certainly, the file is attached. This must be installed over the cab in the demo GP10 WIP in my "3D cab/OR sound demo" post in the modelling forum.

Attached File(s)

#15 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

I've found the problem. I'm supposing that the animated parts are hierarchically just under the root block (called FRAME in your case). Instead you have created hierarchical levels in between. I'll study how to modify that.

#16 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:33 AM

In post #13 I have uploaded a patch for version x.3951 solving ErickC's problem.

#17 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

Since the yesterday and todays patch of post #13 I have problems to catch the actuation controls in the 3D cab. Despite I hover over the throttle I can't move it, but the direction lever is shown as the actuation control and reacts. Concerning to this can you have a look at my cabview in post # 5, Carlo?

In 2D it works fine. Better now to see the names of the controls when hovering over.

#18 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:41 AM

Hi jonas,
sorry, i have the shortcut to start Usedom on my desktop, but it doesn't find the Usedom installation any more. Can you provide me the full trainset?

#19 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

No problem, I send it to you.

#20 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

I've tested it and it works OK to me (consist AT3, using the .zip file with the complete trainset). To catch the control the mouse pointer must appear, therefore, if you don't see the mouse, first move it slowly to see the pointer and then actuate.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users