Elvas Tower: Mouse control for 3D Cabs - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mouse control for 3D Cabs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

I'm working on mouse control for 3D cabs, and for testing purposes I'd like to have a download link to an electric or diesel locomotive with a complete 3D cab , possibly also with animations of mirror (from the inside) and wipers.

Blueprint: https://blueprints.l...rol-for-3d-cabs

Trello box (already present): https://trello.com/c...ntrol-in-3d-cab

#2 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

I could very possibly finish up this control stand I am working on:

Attached Image: stand-24.JPG

And throw it in a new iteration of the GP10 proof-of-concept model that I posted recently. Would that do? It would look imperfect but would be fairly functional.

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:38 AM

Well, that looks impressive! I got some other link to finished works, so I don't ask you to work faster for me.

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

So here are the runactivity exe replacements for x.3951 that implement mouse control for 3D cabs. I tested it in one cab from asullenger (thank you!) and also with this published trainset http://www.elvastowe...post__p__223286 .
The mouse control is made a bit easier by a helping feature that as a bonus I implemented also for 2D cabs. If you press the left mouse button in a place where there are no controls and move the mouse over the cab keeping the button pressed, you will get the name of the actuation controls when the mouse reaches the right points. So you know where to click then to actuate the command. It must be highlighted that commands for levers and analogous things that have multiple positions must be performed moving the mouse horizontally (for rotating controls and for horizontally moving levers) or vertically (for vertically moving levers) in the direction defined within the .cvf file (so no rotating movements with the mouse). I hope these rules apply for all controls (I didn't yet make many tests). Another point is that you must always start movement at the "center" of the control. So if you move a rotating throttle lever from 0% to 100% you will move the mouse from center e.g. to the left. If after having released the mouse you want to return to zero you must again start from center and go to the right. This is the same as with the 2D cabs, but it could be a bit strange if someone never used the mouse to control cabs.

17/9/17: new release with higher threshold
19/9/17: new patch release here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__225610

#5 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the initiative to activate the mouse in the 3D Cab, I've tried the patch and it works good!

Only the throttle lever I've tested has a somewhat too small active area, too much related to the axis of the lever, but one can get used to it easely.
The active area of the same lever is a bit too low, which is certainly on my 3D-Cab-model. So it is now a disadvantage that I have modelled the axis-cylinder of the lever that large, that it stucks that deep in the console.

Attached Image: 3DCabView Kopie.jpg

The Cab-View is part of this download: 3DCabView

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

Hi Jonas,
thank you for the test. I too recognized that the active area is a bit small, and have already decided to increase it. The algorithm anyhow selects the control which is nearer to the click point.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

In post #4 there is now a version with a wider active area. The dimension of the area used to show the name of the control however has remained the same, in order to better identify the position of them.

#8 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

Better now with the new patch! I can catch the throttle lever much easier than before.

It's been a few days ago when I was working on 3D programming project, with "macromedia director" IIRC. There was a 3D-command to monitor if the mouse is hovering over a single 3D object. Can you use this in OR as an additional possibility to catch the cab-control?

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:25 PM

If I understood well what you are meaning, that's what I have described as a "bonus" in post #4.

#10 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

I'm not sure if I mean the same what you've described as "bonus" in post #4.

Better I'll try to show it by a picture.

Attached Image: 3DCabView01.jpg

Is it possible that the sensitive area is not a rectangle but the shape of the 3D-object itself?

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users