Elvas Tower: To Goku and the OR Team--it's time for an Activity Editor - Elvas Tower

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To Goku and the OR Team--it's time for an Activity Editor Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   cyrail 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails and MSTS

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

Count me in as one who would contribute $ (with in reason of course ) to the endevor of creating an activity editor independent of MSTS.

I will not argue against a road map as it gives coders focus, however I wonder if
Things such as an activity editor would give this hobby a shot in the arm that it desperately needs. As stated by David at one time, OR is dead in the water with out an AE. We have a good foundation thanks to people like James and good editors thanks to Goku.

With the skill to code and passion for the the hobby hard to come by, I would gladly pay a few $ as incentive for a reliable AE.

Best of wishes

Mark

Mark

#12 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

Now its is likely that few will want to know this but.......................

I have found MSTS's editor and tools quite stable running under wine on Linux, I have used both the route editor and the activity editor a good deal with no issues.

The problem though for activities is that AI trains behave quite differently in OR than MSTS.

I found installing MSTS under wine in Linux slightly challenging as Linux unlike Windows XP will NOT let the user change CD's.

OR DOEs have timetable mode of course, I have not as yet tried it as for a decent amount of AI traffic I assume it requires a decent working signaling system and I have found most routes I use the signalling system is only partly setup. For instance in 2 routes I would like a good timetabled activity neither has "calling on" signals set up, so one cannot back a loco onto a carriage set in a platform.

Lindsay

#13 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

The MSTS Activity Editor has alwars worked well since day one. The Route Editor is/was the demon that keeps on taking it's toll with abandoned routes slagged by operators not understanding that error recovery was their job.
My AE install is now on it's fourth OS (w10). I don't understand why a few folks keep having problems at this late date?

MS Route Editor was by far the worst of the MSTS package and was most needed to be replaced. TSRE5 has that done in spades far surpassing the MSRE. His TSRE has made route editing a real pleasure and I urge him to keep TSRE on the front burner.
I don't like payware either Goku!

edit:@Lindsayts
I cooked up an activity on the PRR-East; NY Penn to Washington, >80 AI traffic trains running both directions w/ player path crossing/merging interaction.
One thing I noticed was the AI traffic was at the same location at the same time when the activity was run. IOW, the AI traffic meets with other AI traffic were exactly timed with each run. MSTS could never do that. Point is the activity was built with the MS AE. I'll tackle TT Mode in the future. Building now.
v

regards,
vince

#14 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostMetro4001, on 05 September 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

To be perfectly honest I think an AE should have been top priority, even over the RE. The current editor is buggy as heck but people are still building and sharing enough routes that of course will work (and often times BETTER ) in OR. People aren't creating OR specific activities so that leaves us to do it ourselves with the proper tools and if they aren't available sit OR to the side until they become available.

Please remember that the RE you are talking about is not affiliated with Open Rails. We have put the activity editor ahead of the full-blown 3D route editor, if you look at my priority list.

#15 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

View Postvince, on 05 September 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

The MSTS Activity Editor has alwars worked well since day one. The Route Editor is/was the demon that keeps on taking it's toll with abandoned routes slagged by operators not understanding that error recovery was their job.
My AE install is now on it's fourth OS (w10). I don't understand why a few folks keep having problems at this late date?

MS Route Editor was by far the worst of the MSTS package and was most needed to be replaced. TSRE5 has that done in spades far surpassing the MSRE. His TSRE has made route editing a real pleasure and I urge him to keep TSRE on the front burner.
I don't like payware either Goku!

While TSRE5 is far better than MSTS's effort it has one serious draw back, in Victoria, Australia, its geo position (lat and long) is out be nearly 2 kilometres east. This has made working with existing Victorian routes imposssible. And there are 2 routes I (Northern main and North east 1950's) would dearly like to have a go at AND I and DO have there developers permission to work on them and release the results.

edit:@Lindsayts
I cooked up an activity on the PRR-East; NY Penn to Washington, >80 AI traffic trains running both directions w/ player path crossing/merging interaction.
One thing I noticed was the AI traffic was at the same location at the same time when the activity was run. IOW, the AI traffic meets with other AI traffic were exactly timed with each run. MSTS could never do that. Point is the activity was built with the MS AE. I'll tackle TT Mode in the future. Building now.
v

regards,
vince

I did an activity for the SOB, which has lots of single track and I could not get the AI trains at the right places at the right times. The only way it appears to get around this is to edit the activties an/or services file to change there start times and I found this way to time consuming.

Lindsay

#16 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

Goku's tool seriously needs to fix this issue. I have noticed while trying to mod a fictional route, The Full Bucket Line V3 that Goku's tool does not display the terrain tiles correctly orientated. I messed up the whole route and had to abandon it because everything that look right in MSTS did not in TSRE5. When I tried to move things around in TSRE5 to make them look right then MSTS RE showed everything as being out of position.

Goku, Please fix this issue.

Robert

#17 User is offline   BasilP 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

I have what may be a wild thought about an activity editor.

We have a path editor in the track viewer and we have various consist editors available. The issues are creating and placing services,loose consists, schedules, and events.

If someone were to use the timetable editor as a guide, I wonder if these could be generated in a similar way using a macro enabled spreadsheet or program that works like the timetable editor that could save the finished product in Unicode in the appropriate files.

Just pondering???

Basil

#18 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostLindsayts, on 06 September 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

While TSRE5 is far better than MSTS's effort it has one serious draw back, in Victoria, Australia, its geo position (lat and long) is out be nearly 2 kilometres east. This has made working with existing Victorian routes imposssible. And there are 2 routes I (Northern main and North east 1950's) would dearly like to have a go at AND I and DO have there developers permission to work on them and release the results.

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 06 September 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Goku's tool seriously needs to fix this issue. I have noticed while trying to mod a fictional route, The Full Bucket Line V3 that Goku's tool does not display the terrain tiles correctly orientated. I messed up the whole route and had to abandon it because everything that look right in MSTS did not in TSRE5. When I tried to move things around in TSRE5 to make them look right then MSTS RE showed everything as being out of position.

Only thing I can do now, is new parameters "latOffset" and "lonOffset" which have to be set manually in route settings file.

IGH functions are to difficult for me to fix now because it is not my code.

#19 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

View PostGoku, on 06 September 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

Only thing I can do now, is new parameters "latOffset" and "lonOffset" which have to be set manually in route settings file.

That would be great, it being the obvious solution.

IGH functions are to difficult for me to fix now because it is not my code.

The error is probably due to the simple mathematics in the projection used, Transverse Mercator projection results in square tiles that are in the correct position, with a true shape and I have been meaning to have a look at the TSRE5 code to see how difficult it would be to provide this as an alternative. There is a opensource library (VERY well documented) provided with geotrans that will do all the hard work.

Lindsay

#20 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

When it comes to the activity editor, a plan would have to be set up so that more than one developer can work on it. I credit Goku for his continued work on the route editor since it is a lot of work for one person. Projects such as this can turn into vaporware with only one person working on it since it requires extreme dedication to start and finish it. The greater percentage of the developers who were present at the start of the project are gone. I am still here of course, but I have been taking a break from the project.

Edward K.

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users