• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13.4 Override % Reducing outside sounds inside a loco cab Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mikerail 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Hi guys, greetings from Aotearoa/New Zealand. I am an old guy who tinkers with his own NZ sounds and SMS files for NZ locos and wagon. This is the first time I have ever been on a forum.

From the OpenRails-Testing-Aug2017Manual I notice in Section 13.4 a discussion about something that has bugged me ever since coming over to ORTS. That is in my opinion the over loud outside sounds playing inside my mainly diesel loco cabs. To overcome this I have subtantially reduced the complete ENG SMS file volumes to the point where they are only just audible in cab, but in doing this if I occasionally go to the outside views then my trains are WAY to quiet. So I have been overtaxing my olde brain the past few days trying to make use of what I read in 13.4 but obviously I am not doing it correctly as I see no change in those unwanted outside sounds so far. I have assumed that using the "ORTSExternalSoundPassedThroughPercent ( % )" command placed anywhere suitable in the loco ENG file should get me what I want ?

So as I am hoping that someone can clarify this for me to stop the "headaches" Perhaps for my simple head someone could draw up an actual example in a file, perhaps in a default Dash9 ENG or similar ?

I also see in the link to Section "8.14 OR-Specific Include Files" which looks very inviting for the future development of all sorts of sound controls. Perhaps this would be a 2nd way to take control of
the above outside sound play volume inside the cab ? So for my first forum effort thats a big ask. I have been a member here at Elvas Tower for some time and hope that this query is firstly in the correct area and secondly is of interest to those experimenting with OR sounds. There is a massive amount to consider in this manual,and a massive amount that can be done to add to the realism in running ORTS. Thanks in advance Mike

#2 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:35 PM

That volume can be controlled in OR under " options , audio " It's the bottom setting . Maybe you are running an older version and haven't updated lately . There are a lot of things that can be adjusted without modifying engine files etc . in the options section .

#3 User is offline   mikerail 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Hi Hobo and thanks for your reply. I am currently running Ver 1.2.3766. I have tried those Audio settings you mentioned. Line 2 appears to be master volume for all sounds and the bottom Line 3 you suggested is named as sound detail level which does absolutely nothing as regards the percentage amount of outside sounds played inside a cab. Not here anyway. Thats why I was looking for further guidance and help as in my initial upload regarding the sections named for tailoring exact settings within loco files. It would be nice of course if there is a simple balance (inside/outside) for all played in Open Rails. Thanks again Mike

Hi again. Well I just went and uploaded the latest X3931 and there it is Hobo. Thanks for the heads up and guess this new line will find its way to the next stable version. I have been waiting for this for a long long time now. I have done some trials with it and the results are just as I had hoped for. Thanks again to all involved in the sounds area. Mike

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users