• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Different Versions OR Handle NP W Class. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:11 AM

This is a copy of a reply I just gave to a member here concerning how different versions of OR draws my models of Northern Pacific W-Class 2-8-2's, on every route tried. The latest builds do not handle placement of the Mikados' front driver spokes correctly, actually reversing it's coordiates, as explained here:

"Thank you for mentioning this, and although I've been aware of it for some time, you are the first to mention it and I appreciate you doing so, for it tells me it is not just on my machine. This is a bug in several versions of Open Rails. I did some checking and found a version, X3408, that does not transpose the front spokes over the rear driver. That is what we're seeing in most versions, including the latest "stable" v.1.2.3766. What it does is it reverses the coordinates of the number one driver spokes from forward of the model's origin to a minus position, near the rear driver. I had trouble seeing in your night time screen shots but I did see the air gap in number one driver where the spokes were supposed to be. Here is a comparison shot between the two versions. I run a total of three different versions of OR for various reasons, ways the different versions handle different types of stock. That's one of the beauties of OR, we can run any version using desktop shortcuts for each one. I keep each version in a separate folder, I don't know if that's needed or not, but I don't want to chance a foul-up so keep them separate.

Version 1.2.3766:

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-08-18 07-20-24.jpg

Version X3408:

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-08-18 07-22-10.jpg

I just looked at the OR Builds page but X3408 is not listed. So, I'm attaching it here. Install it in a different location than your present v1.2.3677 and create a desktop shortcut for it.

I suppose I better bring this up in the Open Rails forum, now that I know it isn't just me experiencing this.

Thanks.

Tim"

All the spokes on all the wheels are separate to maintain their polygon smoothing feature, which is lost when joining with the wheel tires. A TSM foible.

Here are attached the log files from each version.

Thank you for your work. I appreciate it very much.

Tim Muir

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

I will be uploading the patch for testing here shortly. This was broken in V3492, but I was able to correct it and doing so by not breaking the fix that V3492 was suppose to fix.

Edward K.

#3 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

After testing the above locomotive and the locomotive that the previous fix was suppose to fix, I can say that the issue is resolved. Hopefully nothing was broken, but too much tweaking in this area is not the best path to follow. I am uploading the patch here for testing. The fix is based on V3919.

Edward K.

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

View Postedwardk, on 18 August 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

After testing the above locomotive and the locomotive that the previous fix was suppose to fix, I can say that the issue is resolved. Hopefully nothing was broken, but too much tweaking in this area is not the best path to follow. I am uploading the patch here for testing. The fix is based on V3919.

Edward K.

Hey, that seems to have fixed my errant driver spokes! Thank you, Edward! I just got in and checked this thread and found you had uploaded a patch. I really appreciate it. I've only tried the 1515 and 1592 OR Only engines, but I'm confident all of them will follow suit and be ok from now on.

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-08-18 11-01-09.jpg

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-08-18 11-04-27.jpg

Thanks again.

Have a good night.

Tim

#5 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

As of V3926, the test fix has been submitted since there were no issues reported.

Edward K.

#6 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

View Postedwardk, on 20 August 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

As of V3926, the test fix has been submitted since there were no issues reported.

Edward K.

So I've tested all ten of my versions of the NP W class engines and all are OK now. Once again, my deepest thanks, Edward. :thumbup3:

#7 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

I was curious about this and pulled the engine up in Shapeviewer to examine the model hierarchy... I wanted to verify differences between this engine and ones I've done since I haven't seen this happen on any of my models. What I noticed is that the spokes are separate objects from the wheels themselves... Though I start out with several objects to make up drivers and such as part of the modeling process, I always combine them into single single wheel objects when the modeling is finished. I'm guessing it's the handling of the multiple separate objects to make up a driver that can lead to OR being confused sometimes? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/read.gif

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users