• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cab position on normal and widescreen monitors Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:57 AM

I have a 1.77:1 monitor. 75% of my cabs are 16x10 which was the same aspect ratio as my previous monitor( 1.60:1 ).

I have always used 63% cab stretch for the correct proportions of a 16x10 image on a 16x9 monitor. Now with the latest OR version 3923, 63% cab zoom has more stretch than previous versions and less vertical cab scrolling. This has caused some cab controls ie needles for air and speedometers to now have inaccurate readings.

Not wishing to amended 75% of my CVF files to get the needles accurate again. What zoom setting must now be used to have the same cab proportionals as previous OR versions at 63% cab stretch?

Thanks

#62 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:41 AM

I just done some testing on this matter. 0% cab stretch is the closest proportion of a 16x10 cab image on a 16x9 monitor. There is a tiny small difference where there is slightly more viewing of the cab image in the vertical but i'm hoping this is irrelevant.

The good news about this mod is that if i have 4x3 cab and a 16x10 cab in the same consist, when switching cabs, there is no stretch in the 4x3 cab because of the 0% cab stretch. Where in earlier versions, 63% cab stretch would of caused the 4x3 cab to be stretch out of proportion!

Thanks

#63 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:57 AM

With x.3925 point 1 mentioned in my previous post has been addressed. Rotation ratio of the external world is now parametrized to the relevant parameters (vertical FOV and window height).

Coolhand, with this release cab stretch different from 0 always leads to distortions, as it should. No distortion requires cab stretch = 0, independently from aspect ratio of cab, window dimensions and window aspect ratio and FOV. please check also x.3925 for vertical rotation and provide some picture if you still view problems.

#64 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:13 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 19 August 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

Coolhand, with this release cab stretch different from 0 always leads to distortions, as it should. No distortion requires cab stretch = 0, independently from aspect ratio of cab, window dimensions and window aspect ratio and FOV. please check also x.3925 for vertical rotation and provide some picture if you still view problems.

Yes, somehow i missed reading a complete page of this thread! :blush:

As long as my 16x10 cabs are now set at 0% stretch, there is no problem with the cab controls and cab image being out of proportion or inaccurate cab control displays.

As i said before, this update is much better, as now i only need to change the cab stretch twice instead of three times for the correct proportion, ie -

Old version 4x3 0% cab stretch
New version 4x3 0% cab stretch

Old version 16x10 63% cab stretch
New Version 16x10 0% cab stretch

Old version 16x9 100% cab stretch
New Version 16x9 100% cab stretch.

Thanks

#65 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:24 AM

View PostCoolhand101, on 19 August 2017 - 01:41 AM, said:

I just done some testing on this matter. 0% cab stretch is the closest proportion of a 16x10 cab image on a 16x9 monitor.

0% stretch should always have been and continue to mean that the image is not stretched nor squashed in any direction. The misalignment of e.g. rotating needles when there is some stretch is just a bug (though maybe one we can't fix without changing how the cab view is rendered).

#66 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:32 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 19 August 2017 - 03:24 AM, said:

0% stretch should always have been and continue to mean that the image is not stretched nor squashed in any direction. The misalignment of e.g. rotating needles when there is some stretch is just a bug (though maybe one we can't fix without changing how the cab view is rendered).

Yes, 0% cab stretch was for 1.33:1 cabs images on a widescreen monitor. There was no stretching of these cabs in any direction.

For 1.60:1 and 1.77:1 cab images on a widescreen monitor with 0% stretch, the cab image was always stretched vertically and out of proportion. You had to use a cab stretch for these aspect images for the correct proportions. For me, on a 1.77:1 monitor, this was 63% and 100% respectively( now 0% and 100%).

The cab controls i had setup in MSTS were only accurate in OR with 0% stretch on any aspect ratios. Over time, i have adjusted these for cab stretches of 63% and 100%. With this updated feature, this is now 0% and 100% cab stretch without the need modify the CVF files.

EDIT
I just notice, that when using a 1.77:1 image on a 1.77:1 monitor. You can use 0% or 100% cab stretch and still have the correct proportions, and accurate cab controls.

This is excellent as now , no matter what cab aspect ratio that is in a consist, they will show the correct proportions using 0% cab stretch. No need to modify any further cab images. One setting does all!

Thanks

#67 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:23 PM

Attached is the last generalization patch for x.3926, that manages the case where a cabview with a certain aspect ratio is run on a window with a lower aspect ratio. To avoid distortion the cabview texture is cut on the right and left side. To see the cut parts you press Alt-LeftArrow and Alt-RightArrow. The external world rotates accordingly.
It is easy to check the behaviour: manually insert e.g. a square window aspect ration in the video options, as e.g. 600x600, and start the game with any standard 4:3 cabview. You'll notice the cut parts, will notice that proportions are maintained and that you can move left and right with the above keys.

22/8/17: files deleted because patch committed

#68 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

Patch uploaded in x.3927. No other patches are foreseen on this matter if no malfunctions are noticed.

#69 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:49 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 21 August 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

Patch uploaded in x.3927. No other patches are foreseen on this matter if no malfunctions are noticed.

Ok, that sounds good.

#70 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

With x.3951 a change addressing a specific case has been introduced. It has come out that historically there are various cases of deformed 1024x1024 cab front .ace textures, that are displayed with correct proportions in 4:3 views. So while the general rule is that a cab front texture is shown correctly on an aspect ratio corresponding to its pixel width divided by pixel height number, an exception is made for 1024x1024 cab front textures. These are considered as deformed and displaying correctly in 4:3 views.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users