• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cab position on normal and widescreen monitors Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

OK, I see what you mean. I looked at the cab itself.

#12 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostBorislav, on 09 August 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

This is the screenshot of my cab aligned properly for my wide screen resolution laptop monitor (1366 x 768):

Attachment sc1.jpg

This is the same cab as shown in windowed mode in ORTS (resolution 1024 x 768), as I have no other way to test it on standard screen monitors:

Attachment sc2.jpg

When you have a cab view that does not match the screen aspect ratio, Open Rails will either scroll it (% cab 2D stretch = 0) or stretch it (% cab 2D stretch = 100). When you can scroll (with the up/down arrows), the view out the window changes as you do so. I do not really like the way it looks, and it's quite possibly screwing up the initial position. You should test with 100 % cab 2D stretch and not worry about the scrolling weirdness other than to report it as a bug - if the initial position is different from stretched, as it appears.

#13 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:28 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 09 August 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

When you have a cab view that does not match the screen aspect ratio, Open Rails will either scroll it (% cab 2D stretch = 0) or stretch it (% cab 2D stretch = 100). When you can scroll (with the up/down arrows), the view out the window changes as you do so. I do not really like the way it looks, and it's quite possibly screwing up the initial position. You should test with 100 % cab 2D stretch and not worry about the scrolling weirdness other than to report it as a bug - if the initial position is different from stretched, as it appears.

Stretching the cab makes it look weird and ugly.

Since I am now using ORTS on wide screen laptop monitor and can make it look normal with altered .cvf file without stretching, I guess I will just have to make two sets of .cvf files after all - both for wide screen and normal screen monitors.

#14 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

I've had to do that with my own steamer cabs since OR started because my cabs were made mostly with 16x9 screen . You will see round gauges go oval and needle length change with cab view percentage changes . Also the cab direction had to be altered for 1.777 screen vs 1.333 screen . Your wide screen is a 1.777 also .

#15 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

A first point is that OR assumes that windowed mode has the same aspect ratio as the monitor. If you set windowed mode with a 4:3 ratio and have a 16:9 monitor, you don't get correct pictures in full screen mode (the world is stretched, even if %cab2d stretch is set to 0).

#16 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostBorislav, on 10 August 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Stretching the cab makes it look weird and ugly.

Since I am now using ORTS on wide screen laptop monitor and can make it look normal with altered .cvf file without stretching, I guess I will just have to make two sets of .cvf files after all - both for wide screen and normal screen monitors.

Make a 4:3 cab view, run with stretch set to 0 (the default) and tell us exactly what is wrong with it and we'll fix it. Doing anything else will only make things worse in the long run, for you, those using your content, and Open Rails.

View PostCsantucci, on 10 August 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

A first point is that OR assumes that windowed mode has the same aspect ratio as the monitor. If you set windowed mode with a 4:3 ratio and have a 16:9 monitor, you don't get correct pictures in full screen mode (the world is stretched, even if %cab2d stretch is set to 0).

That's a separate bug which only lasts until you change camera, IME.

#17 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

Now in a widescreen monitor with stretch set to 0, when one scrolls the cab up and down, OR rotates the camera viewpoint towards the external world around the X-axis to compensate. I wonder if it wouldn't be more correct and more precise to move (translation) the camera viewpoint up and down (on the Y-axis).

#18 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:15 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 10 August 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

Now in a widescreen monitor with stretch set to 0, when one scrolls the cab up and down, OR rotates the camera viewpoint towards the external world around the X-axis to compensate. I wonder if it wouldn't be more correct and more precise to move (translation) the camera viewpoint up and down (on the Y-axis).

Perhaps. It may even make sense to not move the camera at all and just scroll the cab view on its own.

Certainly, though, the default camera should always point in the direction specified in the cab view.

#19 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:20 AM

I'm wondering is it worth losing the rotation of the outside world. The majority of users would be using widescreen monitors. Plus you can pan the view for the required angle!

I have a default 4x3 cab image. I tried the 4x3 window mode (1440x1080) and 4x3 full screen mode(1920x1080) using 0% zoom. At startup, there is no difference with the angle of the external viewpoint using a default CVF cab file ( Direction ( 14 359 0 ) ) compared to the first two top pictures of this thread? I was using the OR screen grab for the required pictures.

Thanks

#20 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 10 August 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Make a 4:3 cab view, run with stretch set to 0 (the default) and tell us exactly what is wrong with it and we'll fix it. Doing anything else will only make things worse in the long run, for you, those using your content, and Open Rails.

This is what I have done. To make things clear:

1. The photo used for this cab is 1024 x 768 (the same one used in my ES44 Photorealistic Cab v2 for MSTS).
2. The way I use it in ORTS is 0 stretching - the picture is "zoomed" and I can pan it up and down with keyboard arrows.
3. When I use the same .cvf file used in MSTS for this cab on my laptop (wide screen - resolution 1366 x 768), the cab direction is not correct.
4. Therefore, I had to alter numbers in .cvf file to make it appear correctly on my wide screen laptop.
5. I cannot test the cab on standard screen monitors, since I am long way from home and my desktop computer.
6. That is why I use windowed mode of ORTS (1024 x 768 size window), so I can test the cab and see what it looks like on standard screen monitors.
7. So, with the same set of parameters in .cvf file, I get two different cab directions/positions, depending on whether or not I use full screen or windowed screen mode.
8. I do not want to release my cab with one set of parameters in .cvf file, which would then make it look unaligned on standard screen monitors.
9. The discrepancy in position/direction can be seen in the two screenshot I have posted earlier, with black guide lines that show the discrepancy.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users