• You cannot reply to this topic

Cab position on normal and widescreen monitors Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:52 AM

Greetings everyone!

My name is Borislav Miletić. You may know me as the creator of photorealistic cabs for GE Dash9, AC4400, Evolution Series and EMD SD70ACe and SD70M-2 locomotives for MSTS. After a long time away from the simulator world, I have returned and started work on upgrading my cabs for ORTS.

First to be upgraded are cabs for Evolution Series locomotives. Since I have not been in touch with all the things related to ORTS, I have a question regarding a problem I have encountered.

Since I now work on laptop with widescreen, the position of the cab had to be adjusted in order to display it correctly in the game. However, when using the cab's .cvf file on standard screen monitors, the position is distorted.

My question is - is this normal behaviour for ORTS, which means that I will have to make two sets of .cvf files (one for standard screen monitors, and one for widescreen monitors), or am I missing something?

This post has been edited by Borislav: 02 August 2017 - 12:55 AM

#2 User is offline   Stijn D.C. 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:39 AM

Hello,

I'am a photorealistic cabviewbuilder too.

I think you can better download the manual.pdf of OpenRails from: http://www.openrails...-and-tutorials/

You must see page 192 tot 195 too. You must know that you can make High defenition cabviews now for OpenRails ;-)

But in case youre point, in the options menu op ORTS you can change the values incase 2D cabview display.

This is be explain op page 21 and 22

I hope that that was answer and solution for youre question.

But i think that users use differtent settings and resolutions for drive on ORTS, i work and drive Always on fullscreen for best results.

Greetz,

Stijn

#3 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

View PostStijn D.C., on 02 August 2017 - 02:39 AM, said:

Hello,

I'am a photorealistic cabviewbuilder too.

I think you can better download the manual.pdf of OpenRails from: http://www.openrails...-and-tutorials/

You must see page 192 tot 195 too. You must know that you can make High defenition cabviews now for OpenRails ;-)

But in case youre point, in the options menu op ORTS you can change the values incase 2D cabview display.

This is be explain op page 21 and 22

I hope that that was answer and solution for youre question.

But i think that users use differtent settings and resolutions for drive on ORTS, i work and drive Always on fullscreen for best results.

Greetz,

Stijn

Hello, Stijn!

Thank you for your answer, but that does not, in fact, help me with my "problem."

While I am aware that we can now make high res 2D cabs with better quality photos for the main front view, I am still using the old photo I used for my V2 project in MSTS. I have added better looking animations and indicators on the computer screens (thanks to ORTS's capability of having high res animations as well.)

The problem I am facing is that when I set up my cab to a certain position that corresponds to the real one for my wide screen laptop, the same numbers in .cvf file on normal screens produce a different position. Therefore, I will, it seems, have to create two sets of .cvf files, each with different numbers for cab position, in order to have it properly placed both on wide screen and normal screen monitors.

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostBorislav, on 08 August 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

The problem I am facing is that when I set up my cab to a certain position that corresponds to the real one for my wide screen laptop, the same numbers in .cvf file on normal screens produce a different position. Therefore, I will, it seems, have to create two sets of .cvf files, each with different numbers for cab position, in order to have it properly placed both on wide screen and normal screen monitors.

Can you provide a couple of pictures that show this difference of position?

#5 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

This is the screenshot of my cab aligned properly for my wide screen resolution laptop monitor (1366 x 768):

Attached Image: sc1.jpg

This is the same cab as shown in windowed mode in ORTS (resolution 1024 x 768), as I have no other way to test it on standard screen monitors:

Attached Image: sc2.jpg

#6 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

There is also a discrepancy in the Left view, but not as big as this one in the Main view.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

Sorry, but I see two equal cabs, only differently clipped. What are the differences?

#8 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

Take a better look. I have drawn the black guiding lines to show where the cab should be aimed at (when properly aligned). You'll notice in the second picture (normal screen mode) that the Cab is pointed somewhat down and left from the correct position shown in the picture above.

#9 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

I see a slightly different view angle in the windowed shot. Further checks reveal that there is indeed a different cab viewpoint between full screen and windowed mode using the same viewpoint data.

#10 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 09 August 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

I see a slightly different view angle in the windowed shot. Further checks reveal that there is indeed a different cab viewpoint between full screen and windowed mode using the same viewpoint data.

Correct!

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users