• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multiplayer AI Spawning Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jamesc25313 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

The Open Rails manual states "AI trains are added by the server and broadcast to all players..." when does this happen as I have not seen any AI services, even though I have services in my routes folder? Also, is it possible to spawn an AI train manually? I have an idea of dropping a consist off in a specific location and spawning an AI train to pick it up and take it elsewhere. I at the moment can only see AI trains if I start an activity which the manual seems to make me think is a no-no "As a client, do not start an activity with AI
trains; moreover it is recommended that you start in Explore mode on the client."
AI using an activity in multiplayer wont respond to signals (probably why its not recommended?)

If spawning isnt available, I would like to request it as being able to spawn a train after I pickup cars locally to be taken to another yard by a spawned AI at my leisure and not a set time would be a neat feature. Another idea, but I think is limiting, is to be able to turn an AI train "off" so it will only drive its predetermined path after I turn it on, which would remedy the above request as well if spawning isnt an option. I guess switching to each loco and shutting down the engines would work, but the resources of loading a lot of engines at the start of a more involved activity could be better used only when needed and why I like the idea of spawning in multiplayer at least. Id like to hear any input on this idea, or ways to achieve this already. Thanks

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

I have just checked, and AI trains spawned by the multiplayer server are seen by the multiplayer client.
Spawning an AI train manually isn't an available function in single player mode either.
Temporarily turning an AI train off can be achieved by switching player train. You switch player train to such AI train, and then switch back suspending it.

#3 User is offline   jamesc25313 

• Hostler

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 31 July 2017 - 10:34 PM, said:

I have just checked, and AI trains spawned by the multiplayer server are seen by the multiplayer client.

So, how does the person who is the server see AI trains spawned by their own server?

Spawning an AI train manually isn't an available function in single player mode either.

I know. I was specifically talking about multiplayer. It seems logical to spawn trains as needed rather than the server doing this at random. It would be nice to spawn as needed rather than at random and without reason, other than through trains.

Temporarily turning an AI train off can be achieved by switching player train. You switch player train to such AI train, and then switch back suspending it.

In my experience when you switch to an AI train you indeed take control of it, but once you switch out of it to another train, it continues back on its path and doesnt suspend. Also, shutting down an engine (Ctrl+Y) will shut down an engine that you have control of, but if you switch to another train, shutting down is ignored and the train again continues on its path.

Thanks for you response.

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

I wonder whether there is a misunderstanding here.
The AI trains spawned by the server are the ones foreseen by the activity that the server runs, so no random neither manual AI trains, but the AI trains scheduled by the server activity. Such AI trains are seen by server and clients.

If you press the shift key when you click the second time to switch player train, the former player train remains suspended, provided it was at zero speed. Suspended means that it remains at zero speed until it becomes again a player train. This is explained in section 7.8.1 of the manual.

#5 User is offline   jamesc25313 

• Hostler

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

Hi, Thank you for responding once again and yes it seems I misunderstood the manual as it states "AI trains are added by the server and broadcast to all players. As a client, do not start an activity with AI
trains; moreover it is recommended that you start in Explore mode on the client." I was reading that wrong. I didn't know about the shift key and I guess the learning continues. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/read.gif

The AI trains spawned by the server are the ones foreseen by the activity that the server runs, so no random neither manual AI trains, but the AI trains scheduled by the server activity.

When I start a multiplayer session using an activity I created, the AI run all red signals. When I play it in single player, the AI pay attention to signals as normal.

Still wish we could spawn on demand as I think this could open up a more perpetual railroad experience being able to spawn a train when needed that could take trains to other yards and spawn other trains to bring loaded/empties back ect. So, its not like an activity that is scripted and ends, but could go on for days as long as you have your cars in the right place and spawn an AI that can take them where they need to go as a human cant be ever where at once.

Thanks again

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

View Postjamesc25313, on 01 August 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

When I start a multiplayer session using an activity I created, the AI run all red signals. When I play it in single player, the AI pay attention to signals as normal.

Yes, there is something to be investigated there. Try opening manually with the dispatcher window the first red signal the AI train encounters.

View Postjamesc25313, on 01 August 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

Still wish we could spawn on demand as I think this could open up a more perpetual railroad experience being able to spawn a train when needed that could take trains to other yards and spawn other trains to bring loaded/empties back ect. So, its not like an activity that is scripted and ends, but could go on for days as long as you have your cars in the right place and spawn an AI that can take them where they need to go as a human cant be ever where at once.

I understand it would be a nice feature that was proposed also by others, but at least at a first analysis it requires writing a significant amount of new code.

#7 User is offline   jamesc25313 

• Hostler

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

Hopefully this video shows my issue more clearly and can be sorted out quicker. No matter how far advanced I set the signal to red, or if the signal is red in-game, the AI train seem to run the red light no matter what, no matter what signal. My video I demonstrate two trains and also show the results in single player as well. Im simply expecting to set the signal to red and the train stop, but that isnt happening. Thanks for your insight and help so far.

Full screen YouTube Video here.

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Well, this shouldn't occur and didn't occur.

P.S. I just checked. Release 1.2 works correctly, while actual releases fail. I will open a bug report.

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:14 AM

AI trains should no more pass red signals with x.3908.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users