File Submitter: CrisGer
File Submitted: 31 Jul 2017
File Category: Vehicles

SS HARVARD

Passenger Steamship
Night Service from Los Angeles to San Francisco

1910 - 1934

Open Rails Only ( due to poly count)

Served as a famous coastal passenger ship running the night boat service from Los Angeles to San Francisco in 15 hours 3 times a week. She had a sister Ship. the SS Yale that ran the same route these two beautiful white ships were well known and loved all up and down the California Coast for generations. Both ships served in the first world war, but the Harvard ran around on Pt Arguello in the 1930s and sank with no loss of life, in a heavy fog.

These beautiful ships were some of the most notes passenger ships to serve on the coast and I had wanted to preserve their history for MSTS and Open Rails route.

Model and Textures by:

Chris Gerlach, assisted by Jeff Farquar
Based on historic photos

Builder: Delaware River Iron Shipbuilding and Engine Works
Laid down: 1906
Commissioned: 25 March 1918
Decommissioned: 1920

General characteristics
Tonnage: 3,731 gross tons
Length: 407 ft (124 m)
Beam: 61 ft 3 in (18.67 m)
Draft: 18 ft (5.5 m)
Speed: 15 knots (28 km/h)

This model is free for use for any sim, you may convert it and repaint her as you wish however I would reqeust a review copy of any alteration before you release and reserve the right to withold permission if the conversion does not meet minimum standards of quality. The original hull was a gift for use by Ron Piccard with his kind permission, and I have made extensive alterations for use for this beautiful ship. The textures are partly from work by John Fleming again with his kind permission for re use and others are from my own research into nautical history and marative lore. This ship was designed to be able to serve the small ports and harbors of the west coast of Canada, and could navigate into shallow regions. she carried booms forward to load and unload freight, passengers could be loaded via gangways for and aft. Details of her construction, capacity and service follow.

I received generous help from many including Tim Muir, Barry Munro (Capt. Bazza), Jeff Farquar. and others in the community to whom I am forever grateful for techincal advice, encouragment and support. Without them this and other work that I do would not have been possible.

Rights and Permissions and Credits:

This model is based on a hull by Ron Piccard, with extensive alterations by Jeff Farquar and myself, textures are from Naval sources and some originals by John Fleming. The model is available for reuse but not for commerical use of any kind without my permission, however if it is converted that may be allowed. The TSM source file is included in this release. Jeff also made the excellent anchor found on this model.

May God Preserve all who sail in ships such as her and those who face peril on the seas.

Chris Gerlach (CrisGer)
Elvas Tower
chrisgerlach9@yahoo.mail
July 2017

Click here to download this file

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users