• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Engine torque Does not compute Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

The OR manual states that the Y-value in the diesel torque table should be "force in newtons." Since this is actually quite impossible (you can't have torque without a moment arm), is this a typo, and is the unit actually newton-meters, as I have been assuming?

#2 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

ErickC, on 28 July 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

The OR manual states that the Y-value in the diesel torque table should be "force in newtons." Since this is actually quite impossible (you can't have torque without a moment arm), is this a typo, and is the unit actually newton-meters, as I have been assuming?

For my mechanical geared diesels, i converted from an online torque table from ibs/ft to Newton-meters.

The torque table should only apply to mechanical/geared diesels anyway. On diesel electrics, there is no performance loss what so ever if this table is omited, but the OR log will report an error and that it will revert to the default MSTS engine, however, i can safely say that all the other ORTS Engine parameters still work 100%.

But if you omit the torque table from a geared diesel, OR will crash to desktop as soon as you select 1st gear, which to me is correct, because you must have the torque table in the ORTSEngine for mechanical/geared diesels!.

Thanks

#3 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

Coolhand101, on 28 July 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

For my mechanical geared diesels, i converted from an online torque table from ibs/ft to Newton-meters.

The torque table should only apply to mechanical/geared diesels anyway. On diesel electrics, there is no performance loss what so ever if this table is omited, but the OR log will report an error and that it will revert to the default MSTS engine, however, i can safely say that all the other ORTS Engine parameters still work 100%.

But if you omit the torque table from a geared diesel, OR will crash to desktop as soon as you select 1st gear, which to me is correct, because you must have the torque table in the ORTSEngine for mechanical/geared diesels!.

Thanks

Got it. So it's not really anything for me to worry about.

In a similar vein, I'm unsure about the specific fuel consumption units. It's supposed to be grams/kilowatt-hour, but when I convert gallons/horsepower-hour to pounds/horsepower-hour to grams/kilowatt-hour I get numbers that are... interesting. I was able to get the fuel flow on-target by multiplying the correct fuel flow at each throttle position (From a chart, expressed in pounds-per-hour, not pounds-per-horsepower-per-hour) by a coefficient of 3.79 derived from setting the flow to 100 units and recording the resulting gallon-per-hour figure of 26.4. What does OR actually want? That's not an anything-per-anything-hour figure, that's just a straight flow rate.

#4 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:00 PM

I too have confusing experience when using the SFC table as well as torque table. Using the torque table, the locomotive TE starts falling very early at 10-15km/h. And notching up after 6th notch, the TE jumps from something like 50kN to 180kN and higher which is obviously wrong. And that is after entering real world data, not some guessed numbers in table. SFC table also have same problem. Mine always stayed at 1.0l/h at idle and stayed like that all the way to 8th notch..... :curiousPC:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users