• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need help with 3d cab trying to do controls Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   elkwharton 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

I am working on my first attempt at a 3d cab for a gp7. I have gotten it to the stage where I can display it in the open rails sim. My problem is I am reading the manual about adding anobject to the model for controls such as a throttle. I have done this I made a part which I called Throttle_0_0 in my 3d modeling program. I moved the pivot to one end so that it will pivot around that point. I also set the axis to ground. From what I am reading in the documentation when i uncompress the cab.s file that I have made there should be the part name there to be redone to Throttle:0:0. However I am not getting this part. in my s file. Can someone point me in the correct direction. I don't know if this is because I am using trainsim modeler or not.

#2 User is offline   asullenger 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

Just guessing here, but try naming it throttle:0:0 Gmax is the one you have to rename it in, it won't export it with the right name

#3 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

Asullenger is correct. You only have to call it 'Throttle_0_0' and rename it in the .S file to 'Throttle:0:0' if you use GMAX. This is because the MSTS export tool in GMAX does not allow the use of the ':' character in part names.

Other modelling programs (like TSM) should allow you to call the lever part 'Throttle:0:0' and it should export correctly.

If you still cant see the throttle lever in the .S file then make sure that the 'Throttle:0:0' part in TSM is 'linked' to the 'Main' cab part. The same way you would 'link' the 'Bogie1' part to the 'Main' part of a locomotive model for example.

Cheers,

Marek.

#4 User is offline   elkwharton 

• Apprentice

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

View Postsuperheatedsteam, on 21 July 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

Asullenger is correct. You only have to call it 'Throttle_0_0' and rename it in the .S file to 'Throttle:0:0' if you use GMAX. This is because the MSTS export tool in GMAX does not allow the use of the ':' character in part names.

Other modelling programs (like TSM) should allow you to call the lever part 'Throttle:0:0' and it should export correctly.

If you still cant see the throttle lever in the .S file then make sure that the 'Throttle:0:0' part in TSM is 'linked' to the 'Main' cab part. The same way you would 'link' the 'Bogie1' part to the 'Main' part of a locomotive model for example.

Cheers,

Marek.

Hi Guys I finally got that one figured out. It was the fact that I had not yet animated it and linked it to main. I don't know if I need to start a new post for this or not but could anyone direct me to an example of doing an analog speedometer or email me directions at elkw@gmail.com. If you can help with this I would greatly appreciate it. my needles aren't moving at all.

#5 User is offline   elkwharton 

• Apprentice

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hi everyone,

Ignore the above email address it is incorrect. I had to have that account canceled and got a new one, the new email is elkwharton@gmail.com

#6 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Conductor

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

I would suggest you keep posting questions, findings and solutions in this thread as it will help the next person who wants answers to the same questions.

Unfortunately I have not had to create an analogue speedometer as yet so I don't know the answer.

May I suggest you read through the 3D Cabs thread here:

http://www.elvastowe.../24040-3d-cabs/

Post #8 has a link to a 3D cab you can download with an analogue speedo which you can examine.

I don't know this for a fact and I stand to be corrected, but from what I can observe it appears that it may just be a 2 frame rotation animation with one frame at speed 0 position and the next frame rotated to the maximum speed position. The OR code should handle everything in between using the CVF file (ScaleRange ?) as a reference for the minimum and maximum speed positions.

#7 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:32 AM

If you use two frames, the speedo will do all kinds of interesting things. My experience is that you need at least one intermediate frame to tell OR which way the needle needs to turn, or it will give erratic readings. I animated my test speedo in the GP10 cab from 0-100 with a key every 10 frames. I had to do a lot of adjusting, as I used the face from the default SD40-2 cab - which is very irregularly spaced - as a texture, since it was just a test cab not intended for any appreciable use. You could probably get away with three frames: zero, middle, maximum. Making the needles is easy, just built them like you'd build any other part, and name them appropriately (the first speedometer would be SPEEDOMETER:0:0).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users