Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will OR support 21x9 displays? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JeffBush 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

Just a query regarding whether OR will display correctly on one of these new 21x9 format monitors? "correctly"... i.e. no black bars on the sides and correct proportions of the image. I've never really understood where the adjustment for proper aspect ratio display comes from in the process, and I'd hate to consider getting one of these monitors only to find it unable to display OR properly, and fully.

Thanks for any feedback!

Jeff..........................

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

Hi Jeff,

OR fills my 1920 x 1080 monitor. No sidebars.

regards,
vince

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

This link will take you to a cnet article explaining the various resolutions that exist or are being introduced.

The next "big thing" is called UHD. It's resolution is 3,840x2,160. There is also a trend in TV's towards including High Definition Range (HDR) which refers to an enlarged gamma -- how many discrete colors are shown. AFAIK there are still technical arguments about this so I'm told TV buyers should be careful. What's behind HDR issues is apparently increasing the number of bits used to represent red, blue, and green. PC's today have 256 values to designate different reds, different blues, etc. There is a lot of talk about going to 1024 bits, which IMO should be really interesting because that means the number of colors on any 10 bit display will jump from our current standard of ~16 million different colors to over a billion. Who knows... maybe it'll even be able to display metallic colors.

How the hardware people will deal with both an increase in screen resolution and a massive increase in available colors is rapidly being worked out and unlike times past it seems that everybody has learned their lesson and there will not be competing standards when this stuff is rolled out.

10 years from now digital display technology will be quite different than what we are used to seeing today (and all those old MSTS textures are going to look really bad then).

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

JeffBush, on 14 July 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

Just a query regarding whether OR will display correctly on one of these new 21x9 format monitors? "correctly"... i.e. no black bars on the sides and correct proportions of the image. I've never really understood where the adjustment for proper aspect ratio display comes from in the process, and I'd hate to consider getting one of these monitors only to find it unable to display OR properly, and fully.

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: the cab views will obviously not be 21:9 aspect ratio, but Open Rails will never give you black bars; instead you have the choice of keeping the original aspect ratio and cutting off the cab view image (at 0 % cab 2D stretch) and simply stretching/squashing it to fix (at 100 % cab 2D stretch). You can use values in-between to partially distort the cab view without going all the way to 100 %. If any part is cut off (which will happen at any value below 100 %, if the aspect ratio doesn't match), you can use the up/down arrow keys to "scroll" the cab view up and down to see the whole thing.

#5 User is offline   JeffBush 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

James Ross, on 14 July 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: the cab views will obviously not be 21:9 aspect ratio, but Open Rails will never give you black bars; instead you have the choice of keeping the original aspect ratio and cutting off the cab view image (at 0 % cab 2D stretch) and simply stretching/squashing it to fix (at 100 % cab 2D stretch). You can use values in-between to partially distort the cab view without going all the way to 100 %. If any part is cut off (which will happen at any value below 100 %, if the aspect ratio doesn't match), you can use the up/down arrow keys to "scroll" the cab view up and down to see the whole thing.

Much appreciated... ty!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users