Elvas Tower: Signal with Backfacing-Side in Trackviewer - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signal with Backfacing-Side in Trackviewer How I can identifiy the orientation for Backfacing-signal Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:50 PM

In Trackviewer Signals with an activate Backfacing-Side are shown in Trackviewer as two Signals with the same Shapename

Attached File  Backfacing.jpg (80.45K)
Number of downloads: 4

Is there a possibility to identify the orientation of such a signal?
In the Statusline is given the shape-name and the TrItemId ( Nr )
but if I set the Mousepointer on the Front-SignalSymbol (Picture) I get both TrItemId ( Nr ) from the Front and from the Backfacing side.
TrItemId ( 0 57 ) here is the Backward-Side.

regards
EugenR

#2 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

Dear Eugene,
The relevant information that is used by TrackViewer comes from the .tdb file.As far as I know, in the .tdb file there are just two signals, each with exactly the same location. The only difference is the orientation (in radians) and the direction along the path (either 0 or 1). But that direction depends on how the track was laid down, not how you are using it. Since they have exactly the same location, Trackviewer cannot even distinguish between them and only one of the two TrItemId's will be shown. It does not matter if you move the mouse a little bit to the left or to the right. The only relevant thing is where the location is, which is in both cases the same. So whether you get the front or backside number is a bit arbitrary.

I can imagine a small enhancement where there is a little offset for signals in the direction of where the signal icon is. That at least would make it possible to see the effect of moving the mouse a little bit to the left or to the right.

I am not sure whether it is easy to find the real front and backside. For all I know it is really only a visual difference. So for you it might be easy to see what is the front, but it might not be actually coded somewhere. But in truth, I do not know. I have no idea of what is in the world file exactly.

Jeroen.

#3 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:29 AM

Dear Jeroen,
I have the following problem:
A User has problems with signals at a route which I don't have installed.
So I ask him for the signal-files
then he is reading the shapefile-names of the Signals around the problem-zone by Trackviewer and send me this files
then he is reading the TrItemId ( 0 Nr ) with the the Trackviewer end send me the corresponding entrys in the Worldfile.
So I have all informations to study the signallogic, only I don't se the Orientation of Signals with backfacing.

I think, it would be very helpful, if you could separate the two symbols a little bit, so that each symbol is showing by mouseover only the signal Number's corresponding to the orientation of the symbol.

I thank You for the information's, I will search about this orientation in the *.tit/tbd-file.

Regards
EugenR

#4 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

A backfacing signal is not just something visual - the signal-head actually works in the opposite direction.
A signal with a backfacing head therefor operates in both directions.
So, in trackviewer, two signals should be displayed, one each in both directions.
Which signal is forward and which is backfacing is not easy to derive, the information is held in a signal-head related bitmask, similar in layout as the bitmask which details the optional signal heads. Both bitmasks are set in the worldfile entry.

To make things even more complicated, there are actually signals which have backfacing heads only. Which means such a signal only works in the direction opposite to how it is oriented. Why anyone would design and use such a signal remains a mystery to me, but they do exist.

Jeroen, I do not know if you have access to the processed signal objects, but if you do, it might help to know that signals with backfacing heads are split into two separate signal objects.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#5 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

View Postroeter, on 07 July 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

A backfacing signal is not just something visual - the signal-head actually works in the opposite direction.
A signal with a backfacing head therefor operates in both directions.
So, in trackviewer, two signals should be displayed, one each in both directions.
Which signal is forward and which is backfacing is not easy to derive, the information is held in a signal-head related bitmask, similar in layout as the bitmask which details the optional signal heads. Both bitmasks are set in the worldfile entry.

To make things even more complicated, there are actually signals which have backfacing heads only. Which means such a signal only works in the direction opposite to how it is oriented. Why anyone would design and use such a signal remains a mystery to me, but they do exist.

Jeroen, I do not know if you have access to the processed signal objects, but if you do, it might help to know that signals with backfacing heads are split into two separate signal objects.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

I agree, but this (two) Signals included in one Signal with Backfacing-side, use only one common shape oriented to the forward side, this shape include all what is needed for the backfacing signal.

Actually Trackviewer is showing in the status line by mouseover on the signal-symbol all TrItemId ( 0 Nr's ) from both side of the signal. It would be nice if Trackviewer would split this indications corrsponding to the two halfs of the signal-symbol.

Regards
EugenR

#6 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

Eugene,
I made a small fix to separate the two signals.
Jeroen.

#7 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostJeroenP, on 08 July 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Eugene,
I made a small fix to separate the two signals.
Jeroen.

Hallo Jeroen,
Thank you for the fix.
I have tested with X3893, for my signals it work perfect.
With the number of the signalItems for one direction I can find their names in the *.tit and with the names I find in the sigcfg.dat if this Signalitems is a part of the forward- or backward-signal.

Regards
EugenR

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users