• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Movement problems Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

Hello,

trying to get to grips with the route editor I've got some problems with moving around, and with placing and selecting tracks.

Moving around : when looking horizontal, there is proper movement in all directions : left-right key along the X-axis, up-down key along Z-axis, and space+ up&down key for moving up and down - see picture.
Attached File  MovementHorizontal.jpg (71.19K)
Number of downloads: 0

However, I often work in 'satelite' view (straight from above), in particular when building complex junctions. But in that mode, I'm missing a movement dimension.
The left-right arrow keys still move along X-axis, but up-down keys now move up and down - much like zooming in and out. But the space+arrow keys also move up and down, similar to the up and down arrows. And there are no keys to move top or bottom. Looks to me something's gone wrong here.
Attached File  MovementVertical.jpg (95.96K)

Track laying : usually I first lay long runs of track before adjusting the terrain. If I've gone wrong and have to redo some parts, it at least saves me from having to rebuild the terrain. It does mean, however, that I'm often laying track which is underground, and that seems to be causing problems.
I can lay the tracks but because they are underground I cannot properly see what I'm doing - and that's a problem, particular if you are placing complex items like the switches and slips in UKFS. To see what I'm doing, I hide the terrain. But if I do so, I cannot place new track sections - these all end up somewhere deep underground, at -1500 to -3500 m. depth. I've pressed the Q button till I almost wore down that key, but it's no good.
Attached File  TrackLaying1.jpg (154.78K)

But if I work with the terrain visible and the track just underground, there is another problem. I cannot select the track if it is slightly underground - the editor keeps selecting the terrain, it just won't select the track.
Am I missing something here?
Attached File  TrackLaying2.jpg (175.8K)

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

" . . . . . .But if I do so, I cannot place new track sections - these all end up somewhere deep underground, at -1500 to -3500 m. depth. I've pressed the Q button till I almost wore down that key, but it's no good. . . . . . ."

Hi Rob,
Yeah, I did that too . . .http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/curiousPC.gif
One thing I'll pass on . . .It's SHIFT + Q to toggle the 'Stick To' feature. . . And . . . only if you position the cursor precisely at the end of the tracksection you are adding track to.

Vince
edit add : http://www.elvastowe...post__p__220961
Is Goku's response and explaining the 'G key'

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

Hi Rob, Another thing I forgot to add.

The movement speed was not to my liking at all. Normal Default speed was too fast for fine work and Fast Speed was not fast enough. Here's a clip from my Settings.txt file. The Speed settings but I urge you to try them after backing up your setting file.
cameraStickToTerrain = true
cameraSpeedMin = 15  <===when Ctrl key is held down.
cameraSpeedStd = 0.20  <===when arrow keys only are used
cameraSpeedMax = 3  <===when Ctrl key is held down.

The labels are the same SpeedMin, SpeedStd ect. I just assigned different speeds to each according to my preference.These settings get you a default speed of '3' on opening a route. Tapping the Ctrl Key once now runs at very slow for default when Ctrl is released and Very Fast speed when Ctrl is held down. So now default speed is very slow (my preference) When SHIFT is held you get the original default speed.
My change basically makes the default speed very slow. You get the original default speed by holding Shift

I SIT TO THE RIGHT OF THE KEYBOARD.
I USE LEFT HAND ON ARROW KEYS TO CONTROL SPEED & DIRECTION AND RIGHT HAND TO STEER WITH THE MOUSE.

SpeedMin = 15 = VERY FAST WHEN CTRL KEY IS HELD DOWN WITH LEFT PINKY FINGER WHILE OTHER LEFT FINGERS ARE ON THE ARROW KEYS.
STEER WITH RIGHT HAND ON THE MOUSE

SpeedStd = 0.20 = VERY SLOW ONCE CTRL IS TAPPED ONCE (NOT HELD DOWN) WHILE USING KEYBD ARROW KEYS. VERY GOOD FOR FINE MOVEMENTS.
CAN GO EVEN SLOWER IF YOU REDUCE THE 0.20 VALUE.
AFTER INITIAL STARTUP THIS IS 'STANDARD SPEED.
JUST USE ARROW KEYS ALONE. STEER WITH RIGHT HAND ON THE MOUSE

SpeedMax = 3 = SORT OF A NORMAL SPEED WHEN SHIFT IS HELD DOWN USING KEYBD ARROW KEYS. THIS IS A GENERAL SPEED WHEN MOVING CAMERA. HOLD SHIFT DOWN WITH LEFT PINKY FINGER AND OTHER LEFT FINGERS ON THE ARROW KEYS.
STEER WITH RIGHT HAND ON MOUSE.

I know it seems confusing with SpeedMin=15 , SpeedStd= 0.20 & SpeedMax=3 but my tinkering around makes it sooo easy to control camera speed with my LEFT hand on the Arrow keys and my pinky finger hovering over the Shift and Ctrl keys while I steer with the mouse.
I just shove the keyboard to the left.

Make a backup and copy/paste my values in there and see how it works for you.
Or you may elect to '#' comment out the default values and copy in my values right under the default ones.
I thing you'll like the way the camera performs. It did make it much easier for me. Y.R.M.V.
regards,
vince
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif

#4 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:19 AM

View Postvince, on 19 June 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

Hi Rob,
One thing I'll pass on . . .It's SHIFT + Q to toggle the 'Stick To' feature. . . And . . . only if you position the cursor precisely at the end of the tracksection you are adding track to.

Thanks - that 'shift' isn't in the manual.

One more little thing I noticed : what is missing in the displayed information is the height of the track (or any object) over the terrain. It does show the actual height (Y-value), but I always found it useful to have the relative height above the terrain as well - helps me to decide if I should lower the track, can still use berms or have to put a bridge in. And if below ground, it helps me to decide if I can still lay the track in a cutting or if I should consider a tunnel. The route I'm building is fictitious, so it's my own choice.
Would it be possible to add that info somewhere?

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#5 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

View Postroeter, on 20 June 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

Thanks - that 'shift' isn't in the manual.

One more little thing I noticed : what is missing in the displayed information is the height of the track (or any object) over the terrain. It does show the actual height (Y-value), but I always found it useful to have the relative height above the terrain as well - helps me to decide if I should lower the track, can still use berms or have to put a bridge in. And if below ground, it helps me to decide if I can still lay the track in a cutting or if I should consider a tunnel. The route I'm building is fictitious, so it's my own choice.
Would it be possible to add that info somewhere?

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Agree with Rob on knowing the object's elevation above the terrain...

#6 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

View Posteolesen, on 20 June 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

Agree with Rob on knowing the object's elevation above the terrain...

In the MSRE you are presented in the display the elevation of the pivot end of the track.

By flipping the track via the MSRE 'T' key you are able to see the elevation of the pivot end, now at the far end of the track section I'm tilting displayed dynamically as the track is being tilted up or down slope.

This I found to be extremely handy as I approached a desired elevation allowing for a gradually decreasing gradient angle enabling a very smooth grade transition, something missing in many routes.

I have not looked closely at the elevation display dialog in TSRE but I do indeed hope it would show the same as the MSRE.

regards,
vince

p.s.
The 'Q' key and others are correctly described on page 3 of 4 in the /tsre5/recontrols section of the manual.

Unfortunately in the manual section /tsre5/rewobj. on page 1 of 4 it reads:
"5. Remember that using Q you can change placement mode: stick only to terrain / stick to everything."

Also in the Manual section /tsre5/retracks page 2 of 3 item 11 reads:
" 11. If you have troubles placing track above or below ground, press Q to change placement mode to 'stick to all'. "

They both need to be changed to read: Shift + Q

An obvious typo that I'm sure will be corrected. It fouled me up at first read through manual that left me with a nagging itch that I had seen something different in another section of the manual. That plus Rob's and my problem got me to remember the error in the manual.

Goku has communicated in one of the recent replys to me that he is thinking of and may use cursor color to tell the user if he is in 'stick to terrain' or 'stick to everything' mode.
It's pretty easy to tell now; If the cursor can be moved to a tree top or roof of a building you are in 'stick to everything' mode.
No harm, no foul except for Rob's poor Q key.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/furiousPC.gif
Continuing to climb the learning curve.

regards,
vince
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cheers3.gif

#7 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails + TSRE5

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

Hi Rob
My solution to the above/below ground problem is this.
1. make a backup of your "Tiles" folder.
2. Lay the track and make the terrain fit the track.
3. Save
4. Delete the "Tiles" folder and replace it with the backup.

You now have original terrain back, and your track is laid above and below ground, letting you decide how to proceed.
Garry

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users