Elvas Tower: Holes and Gaps: Making and Filling - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Holes and Gaps: Making and Filling How to Create & Fill Terrain Holes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hi Goku,

Back again with the hole problem. I have read your posts re terrain holes. I have increased the line width via the oglDefaultLineWidth = 3 in settings. I am going to try oglwidth = 5 then 5 then 7. . . . ect.

++ There does not seem to be any consistent way to make or fill terrain holes.

With MSRE it was simple: "Position pointer on a single terrain polygon and press the 'V' key." A single poly was made transparent and a precise single hole was created.

Attached File  WhereToClickToFillHole.jpg (114.8K)
Number of downloads: 5

Very frustrating even though I have increased the ogl line width to 3 but I will try making it wider (5,6,7,8???)
Damn frustrating to have to jiggle the pointer on a line to fill a single poly? How?

++ Can you provide detailed instructions as to what results will happen depending where on a terrain grid line the pointer is positioned?

This is frustrating having to position a pointer on a line where the slightest pointer movement producs different results!
Yes, turning water on makes it a bit easier but why not forget about lines and simply position the pointer on a single terrain polygon and with a single click? its gone?
Getting the deleted poly back is another matter as it seems the undo function does not work for terrain.

Will follow up in additional post when I provide a better example picture for you make notes / comments on. Much thanks for your hard work on TSRE.
regards,
vince

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:20 AM

Hello Goku,
Here I provide a better picture of the Hole Problem.
I had a thought that perhaps I'm missing something in the Manual that maybe there is another control that works in conjunction with the GAPS button? Or is it just the 'position' of the pointer on the ogl line in settings that does this?

The reason I ask is when opening a 'hole' it seems almost random as to the size and shape of the hole.
1. I click on a triangle (single poly) and a small holes opens. Usually a small square but not always!
2. I click on the adjacent triangle and a large rectangular hole opens, again not consistently.

Working Example:
I wish to open the smallest possible hole for this tunnel entrance.

Can you please indicate by adding to my picture some numbers like 1,2,3,4 where I should first click and then each following click to make terrain invisible for this tunnel entrance?
Thanks.

Attached File  WhereDoIClickToMakeSmallestHole.jpg (93.07K)
Number of downloads: 8

I will add that I have tried at least 20 different ways and starting clicks in GAPS mode to remove unwanted terrain here.
NOTHING I tried works, opening gaps (holes) where I don't want.
And I might add that the task of filling these unwanted gaps (holes) is a brass-balled-bitch**!
( ** BBB is an American description of a female dog with brass balls )
Not something anyone would want to confront!http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/scarerun.gif

Please
consider the way the MS editor did this. Position cursor on vertex, press 'V'. Press 'V' again to recover (fill) the hole. Simple & easy.
Thanks for your time Goku.
regards,
vince
Edit:Spelling & Format

#3 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:47 AM

1. Remove all existing gaps on this terrain patch using button in terrain properties.
2. Click on the vertex in the center of your image (where the yellow line ends)

#4 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails + TSRE5

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:37 AM

Modifying Terrain is something I am still struggling with in TSRE5. I would go back and do it in MSTS RE but although it loads my route, the terrain disappears as I get close to it!
At the moment I am struggling with gaps. I can make them OK, not always where I want them, but I am having no success in filling them. It would be so easy if the "undo" function worked on this.
Goku says "1. Remove all existing gaps on this terrain patch using button in terrain properties." Which button?

Also I have found a number of "random" holes in the terrain some distance from where I am working. I think this is caused by mouse clicking on the drop down menu under "Tools". It would be good if you could right click on a hole and have an option "Fill".
Garry

#5 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostGarry, on 26 September 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

Modifying Terrain is something I am still struggling with in TSRE5. I would go back and do it in MSTS RE but although it loads my route, the terrain disappears as I get close to it!

You need to remove e.raw and n.raw and MSTS will rebuild the terrain buffers. TSRE and OR doesn't use them.

At the moment I am struggling with gaps. I can make them OK, not always where I want them, but I am having no success in filling them. It would be so easy if the "undo" function worked on this.

Creating them works 100% like in MSTS RE. For filling, best way is to remove all gaps on terrain path and create new.

Goku says "1. Remove all existing gaps on this terrain patch using button in terrain properties." Which button?

"Remove all gaps" In terrain properties (on the left).

#6 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the reply Goku. I have now discovered how to raise/lower terrain, so that is one less reason for wanting MSTS RE to work!!!

I have found the "Remove All Gaps" button, but I am still doing something wrong. I click the button and the gaps stay.

Garry

Attached File(s)

#7 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

I think I have got it!!
To fill the gaps:
1. Get out of F2 terrain and into F1 objects.
2. Select a square.
3. Now "Remove All Gaps"

It works.

Thanks for this editor Goku!!
Garry

#8 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

You don't need to go to F1 objects to use "select" button. You can always press "E" to activate Select mode.
Now I know it's confusing for many users, so in next version it will be possible to choose Select Tool from "edit" and "context" menus too.

#9 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hi Goku,
Yes, Remove all Gaps works well . . . in fact too well!

If I'm working on a tile with multiple tunnel entrances, say 9 like in a tile at the Philadelphia Terminal Zone and I make a small mistake on tunnel #9 the Remove Gaps button is not a very good way to go here. I have to redo ALL 9 tunnels. That's a bit unproductive. A way to fill in a single gap would be most welcome.

One other thing as regards to TSRE.
Needed: A way to set the grade for Dynamic Track as other tracks/roads are? Including the Transform Panel for DT would also be helpful.
Fine work so far Goku! Editing Philly is turning out to be great fun, just what a route builder needed!

regards,
vince

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users