• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Consist Editor Feature Requests Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Smecty 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

View Postconductorchris, on 14 September 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

No, at least not exactly. Not unless you go through your list of rolling stock and choose them using the "choose random" button and then add the random stock to the end of an existing default consist, finishing with deleting the cars in the original consist so only the random block is left. That's not too hard, actually. But then, if you were going to choose new stock to add to a consist, why choose default stock when there is so much better out there you could use? (There is an answer to this question . . . because choosing different cars will result in different physics causing the train to be heavier or lighter than kuju intended, thus running slower or faster. This may or may not matter).
Christopher

Hello Christopher,

To answer your question, none of my mini-routes (all of my routes, save the basic MSTS installation of the default 6, are mini-routes) use actual default stock. I substitute better stock for the default ones, and vary same based on the route said stock is attached to. So my NEC routes use NS and CSX dash-9's (and comparable types like SD70ACE, etc.); my western routes use BNSF and UP engines, etc. Ditto for the rolling stock.

But I suppose this begs a question: who would spend time doing that when you could just create consists using any number - not just Goku's - of consist editors out there. Actually, most of the time I just use ConText as my consist editor ... :whistling:

The answer is that many excellent activities use the default stock even today; I offer the Cima Sub. as an example. Even with my substituted stock, those old consists, created by Kuju going on almost 2 decades ago, look tacky and destroy realism. But all you have to do is mix 'em up and they look a whole lot better ... <_< Hence my question.

Cheers,

Dave

#12 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

View PostGoku, on 14 September 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

You can find all consists containing selected ENG/WAG, but no auto replace yet. And yes - it is possible.

Yes, I found it, What had me stumped...there's a find consist dropdown for eng but no drop menu for wags...So the eng dropdown is doing double duty...perhaps changing it to Eng/Wag (and having eng specific choices ghosted ) would be a more easily understood presentation?

Some sort of replace function would be nice. Lots of work....http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif much appreciated!!

#13 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:23 AM

When Show: Activity Consists (loose consists ) is selected, no more than 10 activities are shown...at first I thought it was the route, but I tried several others and only the first 10 activities listed are shown?
Is there a reason for only listing the 1st ten activities and no more? All activities containing loose consists should be listed.

Is there a "refresh" or must the program be closed and restarted when folders/files are added to Consists or Trainset? Not a big problem, but would make operation smoother and less restarting.

#14 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

You need to scroll down for the activities.

Which is not self evident because I don't think there is an obvious scroll bar. But use the arrow keys and you can.

This one got me too for awhile.

#15 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

This is a bug. I didn't see it, because I don't have route with so many activities with loose consists.

#16 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

View Postconductorchris, on 15 September 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

You need to scroll down for the activities.
Which is not self evident because I don't think there is an obvious scroll bar. But use the arrow keys and you can.
This one got me too for awhile.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif Chris, mouse wheel works too! I cannot believe I did not try the arrows or mouse wheel...but I was looking for a scrolling indicator of some sort.
The program fools you because, you see, parts are so polished and well done...and others are missing little details...well it does makes sense, because it represents the hard work of just one person and one person just cannot cover everything expected of such a utility.
Okay, give...what else have you found. I've been using it more and more, finding out what it means when very large spaces appear in the wagon list...something wrong with file...usually brackets out of place.
Overall, well done. Goku http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/good2.gif
If there is to be an activity editor (hint-thud), RE and Consist Editor...then a bundle of Goku's fine efforts would be welcome.

#17 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

The program fools you because, you see, parts are so polished and well done...and others are missing little details...well it does makes sense, because it represents the hard work of just one person and one person just cannot cover everything expected of such a utility.

To few people use TSRE. Sometimes someone see a bug, but has no skills to describe it properly, and I don't have time for looking for all possible bugs. (in RE eugenR did great job with testing signals)

The scrollbars are visible in next version.

#18 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

Regarding the display of loose consists, it would be convenient if the actual "ID" number used in the act file was displayed. Perhaps instead of "loose consist" in the "Display Name" box.
For a variety of reasons it would make it easier to find and edit loose consists in an activity.
1 reason >> Many times while testing an activity in OR I notice a loose consist that needs adjusting, using the ID number ( as OR does) would make it easier to find and edit.
I'm assuming that in any AE the ID number for loose consists would be displayed...this would provide consistency across all programs, OR, the AE, and consist editor.

Attached File(s)

#19 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 19 September 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Regarding the display of loose consists, it would be convenient if the actual "ID" number used in the act file was displayed. Perhaps instead of "loose consist" in the "Display Name" box.

The loose consist list can be changed into:
[consist id]: "Display Name".

View PostR H Steele, on 19 September 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

For a variety of reasons it would make it easier to find and edit loose consists in an activity.

I agree. Also, in my AE you can name loose consists whatever you want.

#20 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Also, current TSRE version has a bug when you save activity with loose consists, the description of them may be lost. Next version has fix for it.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users