• You cannot reply to this topic

Consist Editor Feature Requests Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

Hi Goku

I've been using your consist editor exclusively and a little intensively and I love it. Thank you for your contribution.

Two things I've wished for:
- copy and paste from one consist or one part of a consist to another.
- Ability to either save sets of stock to 'add random' and/or use the control and shift keys to select more than one piece of rolling stock at the same time or maybe some kind of 'tag' function (but that sounds complicated) to create custom searches.

Another thing I've wished for is the ability to change the rolling stock name from within the consist editor. I know that violates the principal of not modifying the .wag and .eng files and I know there were good reasons for that. But man it would be great to easily make a change with a single click without having to open an external editor. Would make it easier to set up future searches by adding to the name file.

Christopher

#2 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

If I may add a slightly different request in here, would it be possible to take a group of cars and put them in a random order? (i.e., take a bunch of different coal gons, add a few of each type to a consist, and then have a function to mix them together in a random order). It can be done manually, but it would definitely be easier if it could be done randomly

#3 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

Well, ebnetra, your request is already been granted! Click on each wagon you want to add to the group and click add random. When you have your group, you choose how many wagons to randomly add and they go at the end of your consist.

My suggestions are aimed at making this easier by selecting a group of wagons at once instead of one by one.

Another thing that could make it easier is an option to add the random group at the current location in the consist instead of just at the end.

Christopher

#4 User is offline   Smecty 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:41 AM

conductorchris, on 18 June 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

Well, ebnetra, your request is already been granted! Click on each wagon you want to add to the group and click add random. When you have your group, you choose how many wagons to randomly add and they go at the end of your consist.

My suggestions are aimed at making this easier by selecting a group of wagons at once instead of one by one.

Another thing that could make it easier is an option to add the random group at the current location in the consist instead of just at the end.

Christopher

Is it possible to do this to an existing consist? In other words, take a stock consist and simply mix up the various already existing wagons? It's surprising how realistic even the stock Kuju consists can look if they are randomized.

Thanks,

Dave

#5 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

No, at least not exactly. Not unless you go through your list of rolling stock and choose them using the "choose random" button and then add the random stock to the end of an existing default consist, finishing with deleting the cars in the original consist so only the random block is left. That's not too hard, actually. But then, if you were going to choose new stock to add to a consist, why choose default stock when there is so much better out there you could use? (There is an answer to this question . . . because choosing different cars will result in different physics causing the train to be heavier or lighter than kuju intended, thus running slower or faster. This may or may not matter).
Christopher

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

I've been working with this program recently, find it extremely useful for various tasks...however, have some questions.

first one

Is there a search feature for specific engs or wags found in the available consists [ something like the search function already present for the rolling stock ]
Searching for all instances of a specific eng or wag in consists and then the ability to make substitutions - either globally or for specifcally chosen consists?

If no to the above, would it be possible to add this feature? any feedback?
( yes, I know this can be accomplished with a utility like SearchReplace - & others similiar - but having it rolled into an existing consist utility would be easier - no?)
...more to follow

#7 User is offline   mopacfan 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:37 PM

Hi,

I have grown weary that OR/MSTS users have to create consits by hand or better yet by mouse and the predictability of seeing these repeat consists in activities.

I would like to have the ability/function to create randomly generated consists for player driven trains and AI traffic based general categories i.e passenger, general manifest, etc. These broad headings could get broken into more sepecific categories. Hopefully, an OR activity editor could utilize this information to create randomly generated activities.

#8 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

R H Steele, on 14 September 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

Is there a search feature for specific engs or wags found in the available consists [ something like the search function already present for the rolling stock ]
Searching for all instances of a specific eng or wag in consists and then the ability to make substitutions - either globally or for specifcally chosen consists?

You can find all consists containing selected ENG/WAG, but no auto replace yet. And yes - it is possible.

#9 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

Smecty, on 14 September 2017 - 06:41 AM, said:

Is it possible to do this to an existing consist? In other words, take a stock consist and simply mix up the various already existing wagons? It's surprising how realistic even the stock Kuju consists can look if they are randomized.

It can be done, but will it be useful?

#10 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

conductorchris, on 17 June 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

Two things I've wished for:
- copy and paste from one consist or one part of a consist to another.
- Ability to either save sets of stock to 'add random' and/or use the control and shift keys to select more than one piece of rolling stock at the same time or maybe some kind of 'tag' function (but that sounds complicated) to create custom searches.

1. Will be done in the future.
2. Good idea. I can use "Eng Sets" for this feature or just other consists.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users