• You cannot reply to this topic

Cannot Place Track on Bridges Raise Terrain? NOT Acceptable Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Hi Goku,
Can't remember if you've covered this; I can't place a 2 x 10m track section at the location shown. The track drops to the lower level. See blue outline around placed track section below bridge.
If I move track section using keyboard it will not 'snap' to the existing track.
I have tried setting the Snapable max distance to 22, 33, 44, 55 or 66 without success.

Two questions:
1. How do I snap a track to existing track on a bridge without having to raise the terrain under the bridge?
+ Raising terrain is unacceptable unless there is a way to save the track add change without saving the terrain change.

2. User choice in MSRE made this possible. Is there a way in TSRE?
Attached File  TRACK-ON-BRIDGE (Small).jpg (101.53K)
Number of downloads: 6
regards,
vince
EDIT UPDATE:
++ I found if i select View==> Hide Terrain Shape I can get the track to snap to existing track!
+ Also if I purposely move the placement cursor away from track join point to the brown bridge pier the track will sit on top of the pier AND I am able to drag the track to the join.

++ It seems the track WANTS to sit on terrain! The bridge and pier are both set as 'Terrain Objects' and I am able to drag the track all the way across the bridge.
++ If 'Hide Terrain Shape' is NOT checked dragging track object does not work.
+ I have NOT tried dragging track across a NON-Terrain object which I now suspect will NOT work as I described drag across a terrain object.

I hope this is clear to you. If not pls ask.
Btw, your editor is proving out to be a premiere way of editing a VERY complex route, the PRR-East Region. Much thanks, v

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

You have the answer in user guide.
Change placement mode using Shift+Q

In "stick to everything" mode dragging using mouse doesn't work. You need to place objects using mouse click, not drag. Dragging is possible only in "Stick to Terrain" mode.

If you hide the terrain, "stick to everything" mode is the only available mode.

http://koniec.org/tsre5/rec5.png

TSRE doesn't use "Terrain Object" flag.

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

Point taken Goku, thanks but is the Ctrl+Q toggle displayed anywhere?
IOW, If Stick to everything is selected, is the state of the toggle displayed? Something like: S.T.E. ON or OFF.

Two more pics, Cursor behavior with and without terrain shape displayed only because I was getting the pics ready while you were providing the answer http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif
Attached File  CURSOR NO TERRAIN.jpg (92.71K)
Number of downloads: 0 Attached File  CURSOR WITH TERRAIN.jpg (100.78K)
Number of downloads: 0

But from now on I shall use the method you detailed here AND in the manual.
If there was a display of the state of the 'Stick to' displayed it would have eliminated all my confusion regarding this. Thank you for steering me in the right direction.

regards,
vince

#4 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

You see what mode is enabled by pointer behaviour. If it is on objects or only terrain.

#5 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

In the future I will add something for better visibility. Different pointer color for example.

#6 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

View PostGoku, on 16 June 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

In the future I will add something for better visibility. Different pointer color for example.

Hi Goku,
That would be great! Anything to indicate the state of any of the toggled controls is a big step up.
Cursor ( pointer) behavior will do for now. Thanks for suggesting that.
I remember the confusion caused by MSRE 'X" key Snap Enabled or not.

regards,
vince
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif

#7 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails + TSRE5

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:25 AM

Hi Vince
I confess that lots of the habits learned with MSTS RE that are no longer necessary have stayed with me. One of these is making regular backups of the route. I use this when I get a snap track problem on a bridge. Backup the route, in particular the Tiles folder. Then select a piece of track on the bridge and bring the terrain up to it, press F. Lay the next track piece no problem and raise terrain again. When the chasm is crossed, save.
Then delete the Tiles folder and replace with the backup.
Garry

#8 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Hi Garry,

Goku's reply fixed my problem.
I toggle the 'Stick to Anything' on via the Shift + Q key combination. Works like a charm.

The old MSRE way was as you describe except I never got to mucking about with the tile files. I found that to be not necessary because in MSRE when saving you are presented along with a 'Save world objects?' dialog you also get a 'Save Terrain?' message and I simply replied 'NO' to the save terrain question.

Goku's TSRE method is far better. You can stick tracks to, as it says, anything. Tracks in trees anyone? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gif
I just missed it in the TSRE Manual. It's in the re controls section 'Working with Objects' on page 3.

It's also mentioned in the re tracks section on page 2 BUT there it incorrectly states on line 11. "If you have troubles placing track above or below ground, **press Q to change placement mode to 'stick to all'."
** This should read "press Shift + Q"

There is a lot to learn in this new editor. That is why I chose to hone my skills by modding the PRR East route. A good and highly complex test bed for testing me and the new editor.

Setting gradients is a bit annoying. I miss the MSRE grade settings having snap settings for common angle setting as 0.150, 0.300, 0.450, 0.600, 0.750 . . . .and so on. I have not yet approached him on this.
The MSRE settings are 'angle of grade' and while he has added a display of the MSRE angle in degrees at
my request the above mentioned 'snap' settings would be welcome also.
The angle and/or the other notations can be typed in the display panel! Wonderful!

regards,
vince

#9 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails + TSRE5

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

Hi Vince
Glad that you have found a way that works for you. I think it is like Microsoft Word, there are many ways of doing the same thing, use the one that suits you.

The TSRE manual, can you post a link to it, I am still looking at the website which is way behind things.

Gradients, there is a simple conversion, I posted a spreadsheet to do it somewhere. But basically MSTS--0.3 is TSRE5--5.24 in the 0/00 box, so just use 5.
0.3 becomes 5
0.6 is 10
0.9 is 15
The problem comes when you look back at track you have laid previously, particularly at higher gradients. The value you put in to the 0/00 box is now displayed differently which can cause you to doubt yourself. When starting a gradient I gradually increase the gradient 0.3 0.6 0.9 (or now 5 10 15 etc) when you look back the gradient 20 might show 24.2 or something, but you can see that it is correct by looking at preceding track pieces that increase in almost steps of 5.

Hope this helps
Garry

#10 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

Hi Garry,
++ Open Rails Manual & Tutorials:
http://www.openrails...-and-tutorials/

++ Gradients:
2.6‰ (permille) = 0.26% (percent). To convert permille to percent you just move the decimal point.

This blurb @ ET from Jovet:
"Percent" literally means "per hundred" and "Permille" literally means "per thousand"

Further discussed in this thread @ ET:
http://www.elvastowe...170#entry215170

It's kind of a moot point now anyway as Goku has added a dialog box where the old MSTS Route Editor in degrees is displayed and can be typed over.

In TSRE by using the keyboard in 'R' mode (rotate), gradient can be adjusted by the NumPad 2 & 8 keys is down & up coarse adj. Pressing Ctrl while using the 2 & 8 keys results in a fine adjustment. ( I would like a micro adjust also but it's now much better than the MSRE.
Sequence is a. select track/road. b. Be sure no Yellow TDB lines. Press 'Z' if they are present. c. Select rotate mode ( Press 'R' key ) d. Use keyboard to set your gradient. Desired gradient may be typed in but be careful and observe that track is moving in the intended direction. Couple of times I moved it in the wrong direction. Save often. New editor means I save after EVERY track placement. Takes 3-4 seconds for a save of the PRR East databases.
Happy Fathers Day/

Regards,
vince

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users