• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question: any list of OR-friendly routes? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Well, it's come full circle and I'm not going to have OR or MSTS for the trip. The tablet croaked again - Intel graphic driver problems. So the only way to have it stable now is to use the MS Basic video driver, which won't work with any modern games. Grump. I can still run Train Dispatcher 2, so there's something to do other than read stuff (and sleep, on the eastbound leg which is a red-eye) during the 5-hour flight (with a backup battery).

Amusing: with TD2 (a Windows 3.1 program), Win10 popped up and asked if I wanted to install NTDVM - which is required for running 16-bit software in Windows. Of course, in the tablet it's 32-bit Windows; NTDVM doesn't work in 64-bit. But it confirms that the NTDVM is still around for those who might need it for something, in 32-bit Win10. Yes, it's a 2GB-RAM tablet. No, it doesn't work well, and for normal use I have other computers that run MSTS and OR far better.

I may try to follow up further after the trip with the manufacturer; there might be a hardware problem, since other people I know who have it (comes with full Win10, and is cheaper on Amazon and Walmart than an OEM version of Win10) haven't had video/power related issues. Oh well. However briefly, L&PS did work...

Finally, the issue with MSTS was not that I don't have it - I do have it - but that in the tablet I wanted to avoid having all the Global and Route and Trains stuff from MSTS ordinarily used to support other routes to save space. It ended up not working for reasons unrelated to OR and MSTS, oh well...

#12 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:50 AM

View PostMike B, on 08 June 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

Finally, the issue with MSTS was not that I don't have it - I do have it - but that in the tablet I wanted to avoid having all the Global and Route and Trains stuff from MSTS ordinarily used to support other routes to save space. It ended up not working for reasons unrelated to OR and MSTS, oh well...

It's just like creating a mini-route, more or less. There's a thread talking about that on here right now too.

I've never used any utilities to "create" a mini-route. I just copy the key files and folders of my main MSTS installation into a new folder, plus the intended route, plus the intended TrainSet information. Mini route created. The trick is knowing which files are needed, and that always depends on the individual route. The reason "magic tools" like Route Riter's function exist is to make that simpler, but the trade-off on those things is when those tools won't work, you're left in the lurch about what to do.

#13 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:20 AM

(knock on head - is that hollow wood?) Yes! It's a mini-route I was after, not OR-only. Thank you! Old age ... senility not seniority :oldstry: ... oh well.

Assuming there's a next time, I will prepare a mini-route using the directions above (can that be cleaned up and made a sticky, for use after we all lose the Route-Riter function with Windows updates?) then copy it to the tablet. So no need for OR-only routes (though they would still be nice to know about).

#14 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

To create a stand alone route to be used with Openrails, NOw you DO need MSTS, IT DOES NOT THOUGH NEED TO BE ON THE MACHINE THATS RUNNING Openrails.

1: Install MSTS on a machine, for a good description of this see http://msts.steam4me...lling_msts.html

#15 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

To create a stand alone route to be used with Openrails, Now you DO need MSTS, IT DOES NOT THOUGH NEED TO BE ON THE MACHINE THATS RUNNING Openrails.

1: Install MSTS on a machine, for a good description of this see http://msts.steam4me...lling_msts.html
Make sure you install ALL addons that may be required, eg xtracks, New roads, UK fine scale, and anything else you can think of.

2: IMPORTANT POINT, THIS MEANS YOU!!!!!! Back the above up to somewhere you can DEFINITELY be able to find ANYTIME in the future.

3: Unpack the route concerned, you MAY need a copy of MSTS for this, see point 2:, I always use a freshly restored copy of MSTS from point 2:

4: From the freshly restored copy of MSTS from point 2: copy GLOBAL and SOUND directories to the directory where the route is installed,

5: While your at it BACK UP your newly created stand alone route, this can and HAS saved me much headaches.

6: start OR and point it at your new route.

I have been doing this for years with no problems. Note: of course MSTS WILL NOT WORK, this includes the editor and tools.

Lindsay

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users