• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question: any list of OR-friendly routes? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

Couldn't think of any other place to put this question. I'm trying to rebuild an OR install on my little tablet for travel. No, it won't work well, but in previous testing it worked. However, in order to avoid totally filling the "disk" (SD card) I'd like to avoid installing all of the MSTS stuff too. So ... is there a list anywhere of OR-friendly routes etc.? That is: not requiring the presence of MSTS support files. For that matter, do any of the routes in the library here work with OR alone (I don't think so)?

OR has pointers to a couple of routes that can be used to try it out. Good, but a small selection. Good enough for now. But oink oink I'd like more...

Cheers!

Just thought of one: the new PE route at Trainsim, plus a few items from here, iirc ...

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gifThe LIRR requires just 4 folders (TRAINS GLOBAL SOUND ROUTES) and they are all set up and supplied as are all requires rolling stock with the download . . .
BIG! ~MB600 so don't bother if you're on dialup. Ha Ha!http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/bigboss.gif

LIRR is OR friendly. Has 2 freight activities, 1 easy, the other a bit more difficult and about 12 test activities that just run terminal to terminal with no stops just to suggest how activities could be created.
Rolling stock is all default MSTS and is included in the route + 3 custom engines. I used default stock to make it easier for the user but those Japan route passenger cars are errrr well, just there for the test. Sub your own stock if Japan passenger equip on LIRR offends your sense of prototypicalality. (heh, new word?)
There is a lot of LIRR stock available in the Trainsim.com f/L and other sites. Google helps.

You DO need an MSTS install to create activities as there is no OR activity editor.\
Here's the D/l.

Open Rails - Open Rails Misc. Open Rails Route--LIRR Install Part 1 Of 1
[ Download | View ]
Name: lirr_install.zip
Size: 527,900,669 Date: 11-23-2016 Downloads: 718
https://www.trainsim.com/images/tscfiles/v/lirr_install.gif Open Rails Route--LIRR Install Part 1 Of 1. This is a public beta release of Long Island Rail Road Route v0.0.8. The route is configured as a mini route for Open Rails, complete with all activities and rolling stock. Installs to a user designated folder as an Open Rails mini route. By Vince Cockeram and the Train Sim Community. Route copyright 2004-2016 by Vince Cockeram.

vince

#3 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

3DTrains Feather River - just needs the Disk from them...everything included.

#4 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

Well, as it turns out PE & L&PS - 2 that I like for short trips & good looks in moderate space - both require some bits from MSTS. otoh, Vince, you're correct about LIRR but unfortunately it's not only a big download but as installed blows past a GB without even looking. Not practical for the little thing with only 30GB to work with, on battery no less. And I had dismissed the commercial routes as being too big but after seeing Mr. Steele's comment I took another look at WP and it's not huge. I also have Tehachapi & Cajon Pass/Hi Desert which might work, at least in stock form (without the scenery upgrades). In the meantime, I'm loading up the Global folder and considering whether or not to add the default routes & trains just for safety. 'tis a balancing act.

That said, an organized effort to document OR-friendly routes might be interesting. Couple mentioned right here - others?

#5 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

I believe Paul Charland's routes are on the list.
Christopher

#6 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostMike B, on 06 June 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

Couldn't think of any other place to put this question. I'm trying to rebuild an OR install on my little tablet for travel. No, it won't work well, but in previous testing it worked. However, in order to avoid totally filling the "disk" (SD card) I'd like to avoid installing all of the MSTS stuff too. So ... is there a list anywhere of OR-friendly routes etc.? That is: not requiring the presence of MSTS support files. For that matter, do any of the routes in the library here work with OR alone (I don't think so)?

OR has pointers to a couple of routes that can be used to try it out. Good, but a small selection. Good enough for now. But oink oink I'd like more...

Cheers!

Just thought of one: the new PE route at Trainsim, plus a few items from here, iirc ...

Note: to use most routes on OR you DO NOT NEED a full MSTS install, all that is required is GLOBAL and SOUND from the msts directory. These only need to be copied to where OR can find them. This leaves a wealth of excellent routes availible.

By far the vast majority of space of routes is taken up in the TEXTURES directory, MSTS's GLOBAL only taking 232mbytes.

LIndsay

#7 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:18 PM

Question I have is, where do you get these MSTS files if you don't have MSTS? I'd like to know how to run ORTS without MSTS installed. So far, MSTS files are needed. Where do they come from?
I'm not spending $50 or more to run this game that does need MSTS to do it.

I wish everybody would stop saying ORTS doesn't need MSTS to run. IT DOES!. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/aggressive.gif
http://www.ebay.com/...WUAAOSwBt5ZJF99

Personally, I spent over two hours on a machine that doesn't have any MSTS on it and I never got ORTS working from the routes that are available from the ORTS web site.
ORTS will not run without MSTS. THAT'S A FACT!.
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/oldstry.gif

#8 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:06 AM

The statement that ORTS does not need MSTS to run is correct. That however is a blanket statement, and does need a qualifier in that it does need certain MSTS type files to be present for the full experience. It requires Global and Sound from MSTS. Routes and trains are a bit different in that most need something from MSTS in some form or other to complete the package, although some do come complete needing nothing from MSTS.

#9 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 07 June 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

3DTrains Feather River - just needs the Disk from them...everything included.
Correct with one Exception. You need a dieselsmoke.ace added to your .....\GLOBAL\Textures folder
Easy download from 3dTrains commercial page.

Same for Marc's Sherman Hill. But you will need to add some UP rollingstock.

#10 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

You could probably run my Illinois Railway Museum route on a tablet. It only has 8 populated tiles and comes in at under 300Mb.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users