Elvas Tower: Brakes are released & pantographs already up - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brakes are released & pantographs already up (Timetable) modus Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Stijn D.C. 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hello,

I use since few weeks the timetable function of Openrails, but i have a problem.

By start of the game the brakes are released & pantograph is already up.

Is this normal? i prefer a "cold & dark" situation, and brakes on ;-)

Greetz,

Stijn

#2 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

Along a similar line of question... is there a way to have power shut-down when the Dispose action is Static?

I'd like to not see all my stored engines running, especially when they're the scrap line.

#3 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

View Posteolesen, on 12 June 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

Along a similar line of question... is there a way to have power shut-down when the Dispose action is Static?

I'd like to not see all my stored engines running, especially when they're the scrap line.

Yes, I know what you mean, but it's not possible at the moment.
One particular problem here is that there's no way to switch off sounds.
It's on my list somewhere, but something needs to be done about that sound problem - and that's not my line of work.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#4 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

View PostStijn D.C., on 30 May 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Hello,

I use since few weeks the timetable function of Openrails, but i have a problem.

By start of the game the brakes are released & pantograph is already up.

Is this normal? i prefer a "cold & dark" situation, and brakes on ;-)

Greetz,

Stijn

One main aspect of timetable mode is that everything is the same for player train as it would be for AI trains.
Obviously AI trains cannot start with panto down etc., so that applies to the player train as well. It's just one shared bit of code, and I like to keep it that way. Unlike to activity mode, player train and AI train are the same object class, and so share more code than in activity mode.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#5 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

Hi Rob, Couple of questions;

Is not the state of the engine controls/accessories controlled by parameters in the engine file?
In TT mode are these parms ignored?

My GG1 engines all start with brake applied, pan down & lights off.

regards,
vince

#6 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

Since there's a user control to turn the engine on/off, and a user control to lower pans, couldn't that method or property be toggled by a /shutdown or similar switch in the dispose line?

#7 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:37 AM

View Posteolesen, on 12 June 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

Since there's a user control to turn the engine on/off, and a user control to lower pans, couldn't that method or property be toggled by a /shutdown or similar switch in the dispose line?

It could - apart from the fact that, as I mentioned, you cannot switch off the sound. It's pretty odd to switch off an engine, and then still have the sound as if it is still running.
The problem is that sound generation is an autonomous process, controlled through events. Check through the list of possible events : there just is no event "dead engine". So you cannot stop the sounds once these are started.

View Postvince, on 12 June 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

Hi Rob, Couple of questions;

Is not the state of the engine controls/accessories controlled by parameters in the engine file?
In TT mode are these parms ignored?

My GG1 engines all start with brake applied, pan down & lights off.

regards,
vince

To tell you honestly : I don't know.
Obviously these settings are ignored for AI trains, as otherwise these would never start. In the code for the timetable process itself, no distinction is made between AI and player in the start-up logic. But wether or not such distinction is made further 'down' the code (i.e. in the code for engines etc.), I do not know.
Another thing to remember is that in timetable mode, the train you select as player train may have allready ran as AI train before it formed into the required (player) train. In that situation, any pre-settings for start up obviously no longer apply, the train is allready 'active' and that's how it will start as player train.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:30 AM

View Postroeter, on 13 June 2017 - 12:37 AM, said:

It could - apart from the fact that, as I mentioned, you cannot switch off the sound. It's pretty odd to switch off an engine, and then still have the sound as if it is still running.
The problem is that sound generation is an autonomous process, controlled through events. Check through the list of possible events : there just is no event "dead engine". So you cannot stop the sounds once these are started.

Events to switch on and off a diesel locomotive engine are already available (events 23 and 24), and they are triggered when the player switches on or off the engine. They - like any other event - require that the .sms files of such locomotive address such events, which is a rare case up to now.

Within this http://www.elvastowe...-for-ai-trains/ I have already available as a beta following additional events, which are available for activity mode
                       case 161: return Event.AITrainLeadLoco;
                        case 162: return Event.AITrainHelperLoco;
                        case 163: return Event.PlayerTrainLeadLoco;
                        case 164: return Event.PlayerTrainHelperLoco;
                        case 165: return Event.AITrainApproachingStation;
                        case 166: return Event.AITrainLeavingStation;      

I think that in general it would be advisable that events be applicable to both activity mode and timetable mode (and this is the main reason why I didn't yet commit the patch), and am ready to provide to Rob, if he agrees, the actual patch so that he can add also the hooks to the events within the timetable mode part of the code.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users