Elvas Tower: Update Timetable Mode & Signalling - Elvas Tower

Jump to content

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Update Timetable Mode & Signalling Update now committed

#11 User is offline   roeter 

  • Superintendant
  • Group: Elite Member
  • Posts: 1,769
  • Joined: 25-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 04 June 2017 - 04:41 AM, said:

Do you have an example weather file demonstrating all the features, so that someone can work on the JSON loading needed?


Attached is the most extensive weather file I have used so far. It has all the different weather types - clear, fog and rain.
A full list of available settings is included in the blueprint.

File : Attached File  mo_fog_mi_rain_ev_clear.zip (595bytes)
Number of downloads: 47

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#12 User is offline   m61 

  • Hostler
  • Group: Active Member
  • Posts: 71
  • Joined: 12-May 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bialobrzegi
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

Timetable Mode transfer command Test

https://youtu.be/c9OmQfx-DoA

http://wstaw.org/m/2017/06/09/Timetable_-_transfer_-_Rzeszow_jpg_300x300_q85.jpg

#13 User is offline   roeter 

  • Superintendant
  • Group: Elite Member
  • Posts: 1,769
  • Joined: 25-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Version 3875 corrects a few errors accidently introduced in version 3863.
Also contained in this update are a number of small improvements based on further tests, and two new signalling functions.

Corrected errors :
  • Problems with continuous wiper messages during rain in autopilot mode.
  • Problems with signals just beyond a waiting point.
  • Incorrect calculation of remaining length after a train is stored in a pool.


Small improvements based on tests :
  • Random restart delays are switched off during pre-update.
    The lower update rate during pre-update, combined with these additional delays, lead to just a little too much delay on some trains, in particular trains with many station stops.
    And, of course, random delays is mainly a visual item, and nobody is watching the trains during pre-update.
  • Reports on missing paths and missing consists during processing of the timetable-data will now only be logged once per missing item.


Two new signalling functions :
  • Activate_Timing_Trigger() : activates a timing trigger.
  • Check_Timing_Trigger(n) : checks the timing trigger, and returns true if it was set more than n seconds ago.

These two functions allow time-triggered actions on signals, e.g. a fixed time-triggered delay on clearing etc.

Work is still going on, on some reported problems (in particular problems with waiting points) as well as on small improvements resulting from observations during further tests.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#14 User is offline   istvanek 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Dispatcher
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 23-March 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Simulator:ORTS
  • Country:

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

I'd like to say 'Thank you' to Rob for a fantastic update. I am really impressed with the way new features are implemented.
Everything is carefully thought out.

But are there any thoughts about 'trains running around midnight' problem?

I can imagine it is not a simple problem to solve but mayby allowing timetable creator to schedule +1 day will do? Then we would have 48 h 'window' for one timetable and not 24 h as today. Maybe it is not very elegant solution but solves mentioned problem. I bet I creates other ones but 'core' timetable assuption that it has a beginning and an end is still valid.

#15 User is offline   roeter 

  • Superintendant
  • Group: Elite Member
  • Posts: 1,769
  • Joined: 25-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

It's allready possible to run beyond 24 hours - trains can be started after midnight by adding '$next' to the start-time.
I suppose it would be possible to add a '$next2' etc., to add even further days.
A 'restart' of the timetable after 24 hours is far more difficult. Not only would it require some kind of link between trains which finished there run and are stored as 'static', and what service they would form the next day. But the main problem is that when the timetable starts, all trains are processed and kept in 'memory' - allowing quick access when a train forms into another train.
At the end of the day, that stack of trains has been processed and is empty. To start again, it would be required to reform this database.
The value of having multiple days of running is limited - one will regularly have to save and restart a session, and there is little difference in restarting a saved session at, say, 02:00, or starting a new session at that time.
As said, using '$next' you can run trains after midnight, and by starting overnight trains at about 01:00 or 02:00, but terminating them later (about 03:00 or 04:00), you can simulate a real full day's work including full traffic around midnight.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#16 User is offline   istvanek 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Dispatcher
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 23-March 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Simulator:ORTS
  • Country:

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

View Postroeter, on 12 June 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

It's allready possible to run beyond 24 hours - trains can be started after midnight by adding '$next' to the start-time.
I suppose it would be possible to add a '$next2' etc., to add even further days.
A 'restart' of the timetable after 24 hours is far more difficult. Not only would it require some kind of link between trains which finished there run and are stored as 'static', and what service they would form the next day. But the main problem is that when the timetable starts, all trains are processed and kept in 'memory' - allowing quick access when a train forms into another train.
At the end of the day, that stack of trains has been processed and is empty. To start again, it would be required to reform this database.
The value of having multiple days of running is limited - one will regularly have to save and restart a session, and there is little difference in restarting a saved session at, say, 02:00, or starting a new session at that time.
As said, using '$next' you can run trains after midnight, and by starting overnight trains at about 01:00 or 02:00, but terminating them later (about 03:00 or 04:00), you can simulate a real full day's work including full traffic around midnight.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink


Thank you for an explanation. I missed $next command <shame>.
And I do agree that simple restarting after 24h is not possible under current developement (ie. will need a lot more data to manage static consists and solving other problems you mentioned).

Just one another question: Have you already implemented timetable sets? These might be usefull for ie. 'hidding' some trains (move them to another timetable) which are not intended to run by player (route-in and route-out trains, trains populationg small parts of other routes visible form driven route, etc) or just to separate (have them in another timetable) trains running in a different directions.

#17 User is offline   roeter 

  • Superintendant
  • Group: Elite Member
  • Posts: 1,769
  • Joined: 25-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:24 AM

View Postistvanek, on 12 June 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

Just one another question: Have you already implemented timetable sets? These might be usefull for ie. 'hidding' some trains (move them to another timetable) which are not intended to run by player (route-in and route-out trains, trains populationg small parts of other routes visible form driven route, etc) or just to separate (have them in another timetable) trains running in a different directions.

Yes, you can define a .timetablelist-or file, which is just a plain textfile which lists all timetables you want to include.
You can reference a train in another timetable just as a train in the same timetable, so you can refer to trains in $wait, $form commands but also $attach, $detach etc. So, for instance, you can split a train and define the split-off portion in another timetable.
The reference to a train in another timetable is defined as : train_a:timetable_b.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#18 User is offline   istvanek 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Dispatcher
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 23-March 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Simulator:ORTS
  • Country:

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:48 AM

View Postroeter, on 13 June 2017 - 12:24 AM, said:

Yes, you can define a .timetablelist-or file, which is just a plain textfile which lists all timetables you want to include.
You can reference a train in another timetable just as a train in the same timetable, so you can refer to trains in $wait, $form commands but also $attach, $detach etc. So, for instance, you can split a train and define the split-off portion in another timetable.
The reference to a train in another timetable is defined as : train_a:timetable_b.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink


Thank you

#19 User is offline   VicenteIR 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Dispatcher
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 24-April 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dimona, Israel
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:51 AM

View Postroeter, on 12 June 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Two new signalling functions :
  • Activate_Timing_Trigger() : activates a timing trigger.
  • Check_Timing_Trigger(n) : checks the timing trigger, and returns true if it was set more than n seconds ago.

These two functions allow time-triggered actions on signals, e.g. a fixed time-triggered delay on clearing etc.

Can you please give some more information about how to use a new signaling functions ?
Thanks
Oleg

#20 User is offline   roeter 

  • Superintendant
  • Group: Elite Member
  • Posts: 1,769
  • Joined: 25-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:51 AM

View PostVicenteIR, on 13 June 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

Can you please give some more information about how to use a new signaling functions ?
Thanks
Oleg

A document similar to the one detailing the timetable changes will be added here.
But it will take some time - there are still some problems to sort.

And about those problems : a further problem, again in relation to trains approaching waiting points, has been solved in release 3876.
The problem was that a waiting point was not properly handled during pre-update, leaving the train stranded at that position.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users