Elvas Tower: Aligning Walls, Berms to Track on Grades - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Aligning Walls, Berms to Track on Grades On axis (same as track) no problem. 90d axis big problem Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

Hi Goku,

I'm adding retaining walls under track on a 1% grade.
The walls initial alignment is East-West. Track initial alignment is North-South.
Copy Rot does not work as the wall ends up 90d out of align, across track instead of under track. The wall is sloped at 1degree ACROSS the wall instead of lengthwise.

I have attempted the Transform Y axis 90deg both with the box check and unchecked with the results shown in the pics.
Attached File  WALL01 (Custom).jpg (249.23K)
Number of downloads: 3Attached File  WALL02 (Custom).jpg (262.28K)
Number of downloads: 3

Is there a step-by-step method to align objects if the object primary (N-S) axis is different from the track as these walls are?

In the AlignU Utility there is a 'Offset' dialog where I enter the degree of rotation offset. These walls need a 90 or 270 degree offset in order to align with track depending on which side of the track needed the wall. Here it's on the right side.

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

[Transform ...] with "Use Object Rotation for translation" enabled should work. It always works for me.
Maybe there is something wrong with the shape? On second pic I see it looks just slighty wrong. Did you tried to slightly lower it's position?

You can also try auto placement with rot 90 offset.

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

View PostGoku, on 29 May 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

[Transform ...] with "Use Object Rotation for translation" enabled should work. It always works for me.
Maybe there is something wrong with the shape? On second pic I see it looks just slighty wrong. Did you tried to slightly lower it's position? You can also try auto placement with rot 90 offset.

Hi Goku,
Thanks for the advice. Here's my sequence of steps.
1. place wall object. the long dimension points E-W
2. Select track. Click [Copy Rot]
3 . Click [Transform] , Rotate Y 90d Use Object Rotation for translation is checked
4. Object 'translates' to 90d across tracks as in second picture.

I don't expect to to have the object (the wall) at the correct height under the track. But I DO expect the wall top to have the correct 1 degree slope lengthwise that matches the track gradient.
I cant' seem to find the right combination of button pushing to get that wall aligned to the track grade slope so it sits squarely under the tracks resembling the second picture.
As you see in the second pic, I'm having a problem doing that. The object has a 1 degree SIDEWAYS tilt. Now if I could just get that tile to be in the objects lengthwise direction.
I'd like to be able to enter an offset in degrees rotation, plus or minus from the object I copy the rotation from, in this case the double track section.

btw, Bravo to you for bringing an editor that is evidently able to actually edit the track, signals and pretty much all Interactive objects in the PRR-East route.

MSTS
save after editing TDB takes almost a minute to complete.

TSRE5 takes about THREE (3) SECONDS for the same TDB save. WOW, I'm very impressed!

regards,
vince

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

Vince, if TSRE cannot do what you need use the object rotator spreadsheet. I know it will do exactly what you are asking because I once had an identical situation w/ a multi-section bridge.

#5 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 29 May 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

Vince, if TSRE cannot do what you need use the object rotator spreadsheet. I know it will do exactly what you are asking because I once had an identical situation w/ a multi-section bridge.

Thanks Dave,
Yes, I used it when I first started the route laying out the twin viaduct north out of Jamaica.
It worked okay but it's a bit clumsy as I remember which is why Derek and I developed the AlignU utility.
Now if TSRE5 could do everything AlignU does. I'd be a very happy camper. I'll settle for a way to enter an offset to a rotation.

Goku does seem to think his editor can do this now as it is. But exactly how? Need Procedure.

I keep hoping he posts a step by step procedure to align objects to track no matter how the objects axis' are setup.
Some retaining walls I found today have N-S main axis. These I can align perfectly using the TSRE Copy/Paste Rot. Buttons.
But there is a real problem; These walls have a fence along one side of the wall.

Good thing that when I aligned with TSRE the fence ended up on the side where it needed to be.
If it had aligned with the fence on the other side, wall flipped 180d, I'd have been out of luck because I can't rotate a wall with a track base on a grade. Ends up sloping the wrong way. Very frustrating.
May be moot though. RR ICHK just puked with 1789 TDB errors on the PRR-East after my mucking about with the North Philadelphia to Zoo segment, a 6 track line with many switches.
I removed all signals first but . . Looks real pretty too with nice even grades . . . sigh...
Terrain forming/adjusting with TSRE is very very nice indeed. Set brush first! It comes on FULL THROTTLE with intensity at 10! I'm wondering the reason for starting at highest setting? Quite startling when you go to tweak a little bump and end up with a mountain or deep pit. Ctrl+Z fixes that.

regards,
vince

#6 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:49 AM

View Postvince, on 29 May 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

I'd like to be able to enter an offset in degrees rotation, plus or minus from the object I copy the rotation from, in this case the double track section.

This function is available, it is this "Transform" window. I really don't know why it doesn't work for you.
Your steps are good. You can send me this shape, I will try it myself.

Ok, maybe I know. Object rotation works only for translation, not rotation. I need to check this.
edit: I made a test and it works ok.

May be moot though. RR ICHK just puked with 1789 TDB errors on the PRR-East after my mucking about with the North Philadelphia to Zoo segment, a 6 track line with many switches.
I removed all signals first but . . Looks real pretty too with nice even grades . . . sigh...

??

#7 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

Vince, why not take the path of least resistance, and rebuild the shape with a track oriented axis... I know you know how to use Sketchup... ;)

(Mostly kidding - what you're asking for is a key ObjRot style function that would be great to have in the new editor)

#8 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

Vince, I found what is wrong.
"Paste Rot" button has bug and the pasted rotation is wrong.
I always use "Paste Pos+Rot" and that is why it works for me. Please use "Copy/Paste Pos+Rot" instead.

"Paste Rot" button will be fixed in next version.
edit, fix here: http://koniec.org/ts...RE5_v0.6911.exe

#9 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

View Posteolesen, on 30 May 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

Vince, why not take the path of least resistance, and rebuild the shape with a track oriented axis... I know you know how to use Sketchup... ;)
(Mostly kidding - what you're asking for is a key ObjRot style function that would be great to have in the new editor)

Goku sez he found prob & fixed. Testing . . . . .

"... why not .......rebuild the shape with a track oriented axis.."

Because then the object can't be made snapable, a needed feature in laying out a long stretch of retaining wall. Ron Pikardi's walls are used throughout the route AND are snapable.

regards,
vince

#10 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

View PostGoku, on 30 May 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

Vince, I found what is wrong.
"Paste Rot" button has bug and the pasted rotation is wrong.
I always use "Paste Pos+Rot" and that is why it works for me. Please use "Copy/Paste Pos+Rot" instead. "Paste Rot" button will be fixed in next version.edit, fix here: http://koniec.org/ts...RE5_v0.6911.exe

Thank you Goku. Testing in an hour or so.

??

I apparently broke the alread kludged PRR-East datasbase files. RR shows 1,789 tdb errors. Ouch! Attempting fix.

Anyone know of a utility to safely remove ALL interactive objects from a route.

Just looking at the PRR in the editor shows the problem. Sound Regions are running in a zig-zag pattern wherever they are placed, sometimes a quarter mile up-down the track length. Nuts!

regards,
vince

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users