• You cannot reply to this topic

Displaying markers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

Kuju provided three different display types for markers -- only one of which was really useful -- and did so via the final digit of the data line.

AFAIK there is no reason why that final digit shouldn't be put to better use, specifically having different colors associated with different values. You are using magenta for a value of 2... why not 9 other colors for so everything between 0 and 9 can be put to use.

A person could set one color for track of this railroad, a different color for track of some other road, a third color for streets and so on. Some other person could use one color for 1t tracks, a different color for 2t and so on. I rather doubt there is any need for standardization... each route builder will have his own, individual needs.

Seeing as the editor can handle multiple marker files another enhancement later on could allow the user to chose which marker file(s) are to be displayed. Turning off those that are not relevant to the task at hand would be welcome.

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:07 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 28 May 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

A person could set one color for track of this railroad, a different color for track of some other road, a third color for streets and so on. Some other person could use one color for 1t tracks, a different color for 2t and so on. I rather doubt there is any need for standardization... each route builder will have his own, individual needs.

Why not use different marker files instead? One marker file for tracks, one for roads etc. I think it's better than colors.
Of course more colors may be done in the future, but I think it is bad idea because .mkr files are obsolete. New users will use kml/gpx/map layers, not difficult to create msts format.

View PostGenma Saotome, on 28 May 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

Seeing as the editor can handle multiple marker files another enhancement later on could allow the user to chose which marker file(s) are to be displayed. Turning off those that are not relevant to the task at hand would be welcome.

Only selected marker file is displayed.

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

View PostGoku, on 29 May 2017 - 02:07 AM, said:

Why not use different marker files instead? One marker file for tracks, one for roads etc. I think it's better than colors.
Of course more colors may be done in the future, but I think it is bad idea because .mkr files are obsolete. New users will use kml/gpx/map layers, not difficult to create msts format.

Only selected marker file is displayed.

I am using multiple marker files... have done so for many years, exactly as I described above. Does TSRE show markers from all of the files or just one?

As for map layers, yeah, I understand where things are going. The advantage of markers is they have a specific location that can be used mathematically, either in relation with another marker (direction) or to their X and Z position and from there reference to other positions.

The MSTS marker file format is pretty simply... I'm converting GIS paths to markers and it's no big deal. Doesn't mean it needs to stay long term but it is still useful, IMO.

WRT different colors... it would help the route builder keep track of which file is being displayed, esp. if multiple files are displayed at the same time.

#4 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 29 May 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

I am using multiple marker files... have done so for many years, exactly as I described above. Does TSRE show markers from all of the files or just one?

Just one - selected on the list in Navi Window.

it would help the route builder keep track of which file is being displayed, esp. if multiple files are displayed at the same time.

You see the name of displayed file.

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

If the software is going to display just the one marker file then color isn't quite as important -- I think it would be very helpful but not essential. If you enable the ability to display several (user selected) marker files then I think color would be a requirement.

Something else about the long term utility of markers... when the camera is low, close to the terrain, the vertical marker will be seen more clearly than anything in a map layer. A fatter line, larger text would help as well.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users