• You cannot reply to this topic

MSTS Editors & Tools on Win10 - it's possible

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Elite Member

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

Here the MSTS AE on Win10
Attached Image: MSTSAE_Win10.jpg
An Italian trainsimmer found the solution. When I have a little time I (or he) will show the procedure.

#2 User is offline   slipperman 

• Conductor
  • Group: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:24 AM

Hi Carlo,
It always has been possible to run the MSTS Editors & Tools under Windows 10, as long as the graphics card is by NVIDIA.

If the "Italian" solution involves using an AMD, or Intel, graphics system, I'm sure it'll be of world-wide interest!! Even more so, if it allows the MSTS Sim to run :)

Cheers,
Ged

#3 User is offline   RobitailleFan 

• Apprentice
  • Group: New Hire
  • Simulator:Train Simulator

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:56 AM

I'm the one who found this solution. The editors don't work in all PC with a nVidia graphic card. I tried it on HP notebook and the frame rate increase from 3 to 32 fps in simulation. All editors work fine, not at high speed but enough to work without losing your patience. This solution was also tried on other PC, and it works in almost all. I hope it works also with AMD graphics cards, the only thing is to try. As soon as possible I or Carlo (or both togheter) will write here the full solution and the software that you need.

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

Thanks Ged,
I have learned something new. In fact, by reading the instructions by RobitailleFan that I translate here below, what he suggests is something dedicated to people that aren't able to run the editors and MSTS under Win10.
Here the translation of his very detailed description.
MSTS often does not run under Windows 10. This in particular occurs for PCs with integrated graphic cards or ATI cards, while with nVidia cards (not always) MSTS seems to work. The malfunction (sorry to simplify) is due to the fact that MSTS generates calls to DirectX version 8 (the ones of 2001, the year of creation of MSTS), and such calls are no more supported by DirectX 11 used by Windows 10.

it is possible to solve this problem using a wrapper program, therefore a program that "wraps" the old software, intercepts the calls and translates them to the present operating system. The program is dgVoodooSetup.exe, which has been created to allow running 3D graphic games for the video boards Voodoo manufactured by "3Dfx Interactive" , but that can be used also for MSTS. Here how to install and setup the program.

I can't promise that this solution is valid for all PCs and all graphic boards. It works very well on many PCs, and so I propose it to allow to as many people as possible to run MSTS and their editors and tools. Moreover I can't be held responsible of any malfunction caused by following these instructions. I suggest to read ALL this tutorial before executing it, final considerations included.

The installation is very simple, it won't write nothing in the Windows Registry and if correctly performed will be completely reversible for whoever won't be satisfacted by the wrapper.

1. From the site you must download the last version of the package "dgVoodoo 2". You find it by first clicking on downloads" and in page that opens (as of today april 20th 2017)

Dynamic resolutions, GeForce4-style shadow buffering and lot of bugfixings:
dgVoodoo v2.53 (released: 11.09.2016)

identified by dgVoodoo v2.53 , that is the link to the .zip file to be downloaded.
Note by carlosanit: in the meantime release 2.54 is out. I used anyhow release 2.53, which is still downloadable. By the way some antivirus packages don't like downloading release 2.54, although an analysis of the file made by RobitailleFan showed no virus

2. Within the zip file you will find program dgVoodooSetup.exe, a couple of "readme" in html format(that I warmly suggest to read) and two folders, one called "3Dfx" and the other called "MS". You must copy the files contained in folder "MS" (D3D8.dll, D3DImm.dll, DDraw.dll) and the executable dgVoodooSetup.exe in your Train Simulator folder

3. You launch dgVoodooSetup.exe, that will appear as follows

Attached Image: dgVoodoo1.jpg

4. First thing to do is clicking on the backslash in the address line; this causes that the folder where dgVoodooSetup.exe is chosen, that is the Train Simulator folder.
Attached Image: dgVoodoo2.jpg

5. To keep the MSTS aspect ratio ( 4/3) you must force the Windowed execution type. You do this by clicking on "Windowed" and selecting on the list "Streched, 4:3 Aspect Ratio"

Attached Image: dgVoodoo3.jpg

6. You switch now to the third TAB by clicking on "DirectX"
Attached Image: dgVoodoo4.jpg

7. In the "Videocard" line you select from the list the graphics card "GeForce4 TI 4800", which was a video card dated 2001 and that worked perfectly with MSTS
Attached Image: dgVoodoo5.jpg

8. On the line right below you must uncheck "Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state"; this allows to run Train Simulator in windowed mode, and therefore to eliminate the annoying stratching in the 16/9 monitors that don't automatically correct the display ratio

Attached Image: dgVoodoo6.jpg

9. You click on "Ok" and the program dgVoodooSetup.exe will create a file called dgVoodoo.conf within the Train Simulator folder, where all changes made in the setup will be recorded.

Attached Image: dgVoodoo7.jpg

10. If you have executed everything correctly, you will find on the right botton of the Train Simulator window a "dgVoodoo" watermark. This is the confirmation that everything has been done correctly.

Attached Image: dgVoodoo8.jpg

That's all.

Some final considerations:
11. To exit from Train Simulator the "-" and "x" buttons won't work; you will need to press the "Esc" key, also more than once, up to the pop-up window requiring the confirmation to exit the program.
12. If you want to remove the watermark you must re-open dgVoodooSetup.exe, re-do all the procedure, and before clickint on "OK" (step 9) you must uncheck "dgVoodoo Watermark"

Attached Image: dgVoodoo9.jpg

13. In case you want to remove the wrapper and to return to the standard Train Simulator configuration, you can simply delete or move into another folder the files that you copied and created within the Train Simulator folder, that is dgVoodooSetup.exe, dgVoodoo.conf,D3D8.dll, D3DImm.dll e, DDraw.dll

14. This Wrapper works also with Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Only additional point is that you must download from the Download page the two dlls D3DCompiler_43.dll e D3DCompiler_47.dll that are within their related .zip files that are linked at the top of the page. Also these dlls must be unpacked in the Train Simulator folder.

15. From tests performed by various users that already had a working MSTS the wrapper improves the frame rate. Carlosanit note: in fact the author says that he has redirected to the GPU calls that originally were directed to the CPU .

16. To run the editors the related desktop Shortcut must be of type "...\train.exe" -toolset and not of type "...\launcher.exe" -runeditor (insert the path of your Train Simulator folder in place of the ...)

I repeat: it's not sure that it works on all PCs and on all graphic cards, and everyone is welcome finding a better setting and communicating it here

A nice simulation to everyone!

Carlosanit notes: This package seems to be widely used in the gaming environment; a forum addressing it can be followed here https://www.vogons.o...wforum.php?f=59 .
I see that Vittorio now is directly present on the forum. I want to thank him also here for his great procedure.

I will provide very few and very initial support on this (if I'm able by the way) because it's not my main task here. If there is some confirmation that the procedure works for someone, that's enough for me :)

Feedbacks welcome!

#5 User is offline   slipperman 

• Conductor

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:49 AM

Hi Carlo & RobitailleFan,
Many thanks for the "tutorial" :)

I'll certainly be giving it a try with an AMD card over the next week, or so!

Cheers,
Ged

#6 User is online   Ernst 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails, MSTS

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hi Carlo & RobitailleFan,

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

The TUTORIAL is "OUTSTANDING" and the program installs fast, easy and works perfect.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
MS Editor and Tools.
Also the MSTS Train Simulator works, but I have not tested it in detail. I definitely prefer OR!!!
VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (3,0 GB RAM).
ROUTE: CR_310
ACTIVITY: OS 23651 Jesenik Zlate-Hory.

That´s a mayor achievement for the OR and MSTS community.

Once more thank you for your continuous interest and help.

Kind regards

Ernst

#7 User is offline   slipperman 

• Conductor

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

Hi Carlo,
I have been able to get MSTS Sim and Editors to work with an AMD HD 5750 graphics card under Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, but there are a few elements which I've not been able to get working properly.

1. Sim : The antialiasing settings from Catalyst are not being applied, which makes running the sim "uncomfortable".
2. Route Editor : Appears to work correctly, except that the "snap to grid" information panel continually flashes on and off. Not tested, other than starting it.
3. Activity Editor : Appears to work correctly, but I've not created an activity with it.

I've tried various other settings within dgVoodooSetup.exe (v2.53) without success.

Any suggestions would be welcome :)

Cheers,
Ged

#8 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

What about the process of installing DX9 alongside the current DX? This is common if you run older games. Unless this is already done?

Edward K.

#9 User is offline   copperpen 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

View Postedwardk, on 01 July 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

What about the process of installing DX9 alongside the current DX? This is common if you run older games. Unless this is already done?

Edward K.

Just did that a couple of days ago. My MSTS refused to start. A fresh install of DX9 cured it.

#10 User is offline   slipperman 

• Conductor

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

Hi Edward,
Thanks for the reminder - I hadn't installed DX9, but the only difference seems to be that the "Snap to grid" information line now disappears for most of the time!

I've also tried adding D3DCompiler_43.dll and D3DCompiler_47.dll into the MSTS root folder, just in case, but it made no difference.

Cheers,
Ged

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users