• You cannot reply to this topic

Forest Clear Distance not working in X3831 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

James - Thank you fo the link in another thread to
ORTSUserPreferenceForestClearDistance ( 2 )

I have inserted this in my new Uintah route .trk file, but no joy.. trees across tracks as before.
I tried adding a changed .trk file to the OpenRails folder but no joy there either.
I am using X3831.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

Jumping in here...Timothy, take a look at the examples I posted...
The include file for the WP3 ... any include file you make should look exactly like this...spaces and all. Also it has to have an identical name to the routes original trk file.

Adding the forest clearing parameter directly to the trk file - I've found it best to add it directly before the last bracket in the file. See the Rollins Pass example.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bandicam 2017-04-20 11-03-11-897.jpg
  • Attached Image: bandicam 2017-04-20 11-05-09-863.jpg

#3 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 20 April 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

Jumping in here...Timothy, take a look at the examples I posted...
The include file for the WP3 ... any include file you make should look exactly like this...spaces and all. Also it has to have an identical name to the routes original trk file.

Adding the forest clearing parameter directly to the trk file - I've found it best to add it directly before the last bracket in the file. See the Rollins Pass example.

Hi Gerry - Thank you for your input..

See below what I have in my .trk file.
What version of OR are you successful with? I am using X3831.
What exactly do you put in your OpenRails folder? A Notepad file like the .trk without the heading?

Attached Image: ScreenShot002.jpg

#4 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

View Posttimothyskinner, on 20 April 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

What exactly do you put in your OpenRails folder? A Notepad file like the .trk without the heading?

You have three options:
  • Add the ORTSUserPreferenceForestClearDistance group the the original .trk file. Open Rails will recognize this instantly. MSTS will no longer load the route as it will error parsing the .trk file. If you still want to use the Route Editor you should not take this option.
- or -
  • Create an OpenRails folder in the route's main folder if it does not exist, and create a file with the same filename as the original .trk file in that folder. You can actually just copy/paste the original .trk file into that new folder. You can then edit the OpenRails\.trk file to add the ORTSUserPreferenceForestClearDistance group. Only Open Rails will only see and use this file, and MSTS will only see and use the original file. If you want to change route options in the .trk file you'll need to change both files.
- or -
  • You can do the same as the second option above, but edit the OpenRails\.trk file so that it only contains the ORTSUserPreferenceForestClearDistance and also has an Include reference to the original file (As R H Steele demonstrated above) with no header. The advantage of this option is that the main .trk file still has full force, and you can make most .trk changes just by editing that one file. Open Rails-specific features will still need to be edited in the OpenRails\.trk file.

#5 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

For the benefit of any route builder who has same problem - beware of "Copy of" and ".bk" files that can be read instead of the proper .trk file..

Joseph "Jovet" figured it out for me and as an ex-educator I have given him a gold star..

#6 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

View Posttimothyskinner, on 24 April 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

For the benefit of any route builder who has same problem - beware of "Copy of" and ".bk" files that can be read instead of the proper .trk file..

More specifically, it was actually the presence of multiple .trk files that was the problem. Both MSTS and OR seek out .trk files so any file ending in that extension can be called upon to be the main route data file, even if you intend it only as a backup file or such. MSTS and OR do not know that file is only supposed to be a backup file, and find it and use it. There must only be one .trk file in each route's folder. To make a backup of this file, give it a different file extension, like .~trk. Also note that .trk files in the Routes folder can also be active, so the same rules apply there. (Best to avoid putting any .trk files in the Routes folder in general, I think.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users