• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

trigger warnings in the log Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:40 AM

Warning: Trigger type of trigger number 10 in stream number 1 in file ingame.sms is not existent or not applicable.

Just a sample of the many warnings now being generated. The line referred to is
Discrete_Trigger ( 10 PlayOneShot ( 1 File ( "control_error_buzz.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( RandomSelection ) ) )

Why this error when the trigger is MSTS default. Getting lots of these warnings now. Never had a problem with them before. I note that update 3829 made a change in this area, but a bit bemused as to the source of the alleged crashes caused by bad triggers.

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

The standard ingame.sms file has lines like this one
					Skip( 11 ) Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past	 1	EnableTrigger  (  6 ) )

and this one
					Skip( 29 ) Discrete_Trigger ( 25	DisableTrigger(  6 ) )

These triggers have never worked in OR, because OR does not consider ingame.sms as a file that is linked to a locomotive, to which such trigger types are applicable.
Moreover if one of such triggers is the first one within a SoundStream within a sound source file (environmental sound), OR crashed. This happened to a station announcement .sms of an Austrian route, and this evidenced the situation.
So what x.3829 does is avoiding that crash (a contribution towards OR stability) and reporting triggers skipped by OR (a contribution towards OR knowledge).
Nex step could be automatically linking ingame.sms to the player locomotive, and therefore enabling such triggers. However this has to be studied, and as a matter of fact as of today no one has noticed that those triggers didn't work. So I don't consider urgent for myself to perform this further step.

#3 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 19 April 2017 - 02:04 AM, said:

The standard ingame.sms file has lines like this one
					Skip( 11 ) Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past	 1	EnableTrigger  (  6 ) )

and this one
					Skip( 29 ) Discrete_Trigger ( 25	DisableTrigger(  6 ) )

These triggers have never worked in OR, because OR does not consider ingame.sms as a file that is linked to a locomotive, to which such trigger types are applicable.
Moreover if one of such triggers is the first one within a SoundStream within a sound source file (environmental sound), OR crashed. This happened to a station announcement .sms of an Austrian route, and this evidenced the situation.
So what x.3829 does is avoiding that crash (a contribution towards OR stability) and reporting triggers skipped by OR (a contribution towards OR knowledge).
Nex step could be automatically linking ingame.sms to the player locomotive, and therefore enabling such triggers. However this has to be studied, and as a matter of fact as of today no one has noticed that those triggers didn't work. So I don't consider urgent for myself to perform this further step.

If ingame.sms is not considered linked to a locomotive, how come the sounds are heard anyway. Control_error_buzz.wav is one that is quite commonly heard when in the cab of a locomotive. I feel we have fetched a huge sledgehammer to crack a small nut here. I have had game crash due to station announcements but solved that by changing the call for the wav file within the sms file that calls it. Ingame.sms is also refers to AI locomotive sounds, and all those sounds are heard as well within the player cab when an AI is within range.

#4 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:46 AM

Hi,
May I add a contribution, which might just help with solving this "bug"??

Using X3829 and running the default Settle & Carlisle (Europe1) route :

The ingame.sms file contains 3 streams, stream 1 contains 9 triggers, streams 2 & 3 each have 33 triggers.

The Open Rails log shows a "Warning: Trigger type of trigger number" message for triggers 10 to 27 for Stream 1, triggers 10 to 27 for Stream 2 but no messages for Stream 3!

27 appears to be a "magic" number!!

Cheers,
Ged

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:18 AM

Ged and Merwyn,
dont worry, situation is under control!
27 is the sum of the triggers within the second and third stream that OR does not handle for this type of file, that is the two types that I indicated in post #2. They both are dependent from locomotive physics (in one case because of Variable1 and in the other one because of Discrete Trigger 25), and OR does not link this .sms file to the player locomotive. By the way you can hear sounds like "permission denied" everywhere when you run OR, not only in cab, and also far away from the player locomotive.
To state it again, what 3829 does is:
- avoiding a crash in a specific case (which didn't occur in ingame.sms)
- pinpoint trigger lines that OR discards.
What 3829 does NOT is changing behavior in managing ingame.sms sounds.

I'd add that I really aren't able to understand what the second and the third stream of ingame.sms should do:
- I listened to the sounds and wondered what they are (click-clacks?)
- at start of game the sound triggers are silenced by the Initial_trigger lines
- assuming that MSTS links these streams with the player locomotive, the sound triggers become enabled, always only one, when Variable1 increases
- Variable1 has different meanings for steam locos (wheel rotation speed) and diesel/electrics (throttle value)
- When a vigilance alarm tracer trigger (this is the definition of trigger 25 within Ralf Hagen's tutorial) occurs, all sound triggers are disabled.
???

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:27 AM

I tested these two sound streams of ingame.sms with MSTS using the sound test interface and replacing the sounds with some intellegible sounds. Neither the sound test interface showed any operation of those two sound streams nor my ears heard something. I think this is some incomplete work or some relict of tests by Kuju. Therefore probably I'll filter out those warning messages for the ingame.sms file, leaving them for other .sms files.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

With x.3835 I have selectively removed the warnings related to file ingame.sms, to avoid flooding of warnings. The fact remains however that the standard ingame.sms has the second and the third stream that don't work, and that should be removed from the file.
The warnings remain for all other .sms files.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users