Elvas Tower: Proposal to introduce 'pool' concept in timetable mode - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proposal to introduce 'pool' concept in timetable mode Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 22 March 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

I don't agree. When we're working together on something complex, we all benefit from things which are tidy and predictable - it saves a lot of time and frustration.
Overall, I think we developers are given a great deal of freedom, but some things are best done "the Open Rails way".

I am sorry if it isn't clear, but my "beef" and comment above is aimed at Microsoft. I think the alleged existence of the "Microsoft recommendation" that James describes above is beyond ridiculous. I haven't been able to find it, though.

I don't have any personal stake in the decisions that actually apply to OR in this matter, but I agree that whatever is decided should be consistent. There definitely should be an "OR-way" of doing things. And it shouldn't be up to Microsoft to micromanage things that aren't widespread problems.

#12 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 21 March 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

I do not understand your position at all; it's their OS, why would you not expect them to issue some guidance on how to use it? The most prominent stuff is UI/UX (which is backed by years of research and development, and user testing) but I don't see why it shouldn't extend to development stuff - in fact, it can be critically important for apps to stay compatible and not interfere with each other (although not so important in this case).

IIRC their recommendation was to use "type-company" so that the file extension was effectively namespaced to your company, preventing unexpected collisions - which is a real problem when people insist on creating new 3-letter extensions.

I don't know why they chose hyphens. I happen to think hyphens read better than underscores in this case, but above all else it is still just a recommendation. We can follow it or ignore it. My recommendation is to follow their recommendation, though. :)

Hopefully, a friendly comment...................

Surely though its not that difficult to parse either an "_" or a "-" as being equivalent, In script files converting text to file names I regularly treat "_" "-" and " " (a space) as indentical, this is trivial in Unix.

This would appear to save a lot of angst.

Important point, while there will be an "openrails way" it would be well to remember everyone here is a volunteer, it is wise to make it as easy as possible for anyone to contribute, this means there does need to be a good deal of flexibility. If one starts giving volunteers orders, one will quickly start losing people.

Lindsay, 30 years serving in a volunteer fire brigade.

#13 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Practicality:

Double click on a string that has hyphens or underscores results in rather differently results in many places (see Windows Explorer for one such example). Using hyphens breaks up the string where underscores do not. My use of Cal-P_Whatever instead of Cal_P_Whatever gives me nothing but grief in many situations... I really don't need/want P_Whatever selected.

As for file suffixes, yeah, occasionally you find two identical suffixes for wholly different file types so adding some sort of company code does make a bit of sense... but hyphens instead of underscores, sorry, cutting the string with hyphens is a royal PITA, everytime.

#14 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:45 AM

Let's keep this in proportion.
From a user's viewpoint, it does make sense to have a single rule for naming file extentions. As we start to introduce more and more or-specific files it would not be very helpfull to users if some files require underscores and others require hyphens. There's a lot of sense in setting a single rule. Whether that be hyphen or underscore does not really make a difference - as long as it's always the same. That makes sense. The fact that I did not follow this rule is not because I object to it, but simply because if I sit down and create files or whatever, I use underscores. Point. Nothing else to it : when I start creating new functions, my mind is focused on what is needed for those functions, everything else like naming extentions is done on 'automatic pilot'.
So closing off : the documentation will follow the official line and define hyphen only, the progam however, for both timetable-or and pool-or, will process both.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#15 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 22 March 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

Surely though its not that difficult to parse either an "_" or a "-" as being equivalent, In script files converting text to file names I regularly treat "_" "-" and " " (a space) as indentical, this is trivial in Unix.

It's easier inside files than in filenames as (at least in Windows and .NET APIs) you will ask for files matching a basic glob pattern, which doesn't support such equivalences. Nevertheless, it isn't hard to do.

View PostLindsayts, on 22 March 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

Important point, while there will be an "openrails way" it would be well to remember everyone here is a volunteer, it is wise to make it as easy as possible for anyone to contribute, this means there does need to be a good deal of flexibility. If one starts giving volunteers orders, one will quickly start losing people.

I've only been recommending it, and Rob's been kind enough to go with that recommendation.

#16 User is offline   m61 

• Fireman
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Status: Fired

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

https://youtu.be/CSfoZPNhcRg

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users