Elvas Tower: Proposal for attach/detach functions in timetable mode - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proposal for attach/detach functions in timetable mode Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:34 AM

This blueprint is a proposal to introduce attach/detach functions in timetable mode :
attach/detach functions in timetable mode

As indicated in this blueprint, the manual actions to (dis)connect brakehoses and open/close angle cocks are disabled, but the aim is to introduce these later, but as options.

There are several levels at which this option could be set :
  • As user option, simply to set what the user wants to do;
  • As route option, to reflect different rules in different countries (and changing over time as well) as to who is supposed or even allowed to perform these actions;
  • As an new option in .wag or .eng files, to reflect that certain types of rolling stock (e.g. MU's with EP brakes and automatic couplers) just don't have brakehoses and angle cocks;
  • As train option in the timetable definition, to reflect different ways of operation in different situations (e.g. a long passenger train of which the rear coach is detached - no way will the driver of that train walk back along the train just to work on the brakehoses and angle cocks - that's either the shunters work, or the work of the driver of the shunt engine).

Most of these options will require new definitions in the related files, so it will take some time before all this will be available.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#2 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:03 AM

Hello Rob! I`m ecstatic that you have been able to develop attach/detach functions. These will give enormous scope to timetables. Thank you!

In my 1950s historical timetable I aim to reproduce a complete loco diagram ( or roster). Typically a light engine leaves the depot, attaches to stock, runs to destination, detaches stock, and as light engine ,stables or moves to the next train. Reading the blue print, it looks like all this will be possible. Right now I $form a new train for each stage. But the wagons/ coaches appear and disappear.

A question if I may? Will loose consists, no loco, just wagons, be able to exist? I`m thinking that the loose consists would be $created and remain static till their attaching loco arrives. And detached consists ( no loco) can remain static too?

Thanks again, rick

#3 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:52 AM

Loose consists can be created as $static, and become 'active' when picked up by an engine (using $pickup /static).
It's also possible to define a loose consist as a normal train, which will then remain static until an engine is attached (using $attach, the engine then becomes part of the train).
The same options are available when the train terminates. The coaches can either be detached as a static consist, and become the next train when the next engine picks them up, or the coaches can be formed into the new train, without engine, using $attach to attach the next engine to this train.

Details on how to define these options will be included in the documentation.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#4 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:43 AM

Thanks Rob for your reply. It looks like the functions you describe will cover all requirements for loose consists. Excellent news!
Together with your other proposals, Timetables will be very powerful.
But it must be a lot of work, so I will wait happily!
Thanks again, rick

#5 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:32 AM

I'm assuming there will be sub-options, i.e. ability to disconnect the last Y number of cars, or break the consist after consist ID# X?

#6 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

View Posteolesen, on 13 March 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

I'm assuming there will be sub-options, i.e. ability to disconnect the last Y number of cars, or break the consist after consist ID# X?

The list below shows the options available for the detach command. Some of these are also available for the transfer command, but others make no sense for transfer, i.e. if 'give' is set for transfer (units are transfered from this train to the other train), there is no use to define anything which relates to the rear of the train - it's clearly not possible to transfer units from the rear of the approaching train to the waiting train, those units would have to jump over the rest of the train to get there.

Consist ID numbers are not available for detach nor transfer commands - that is because these numbers are generated automatically using the train's sequence number, but this number is not readily available to the user. It cannot be set by the user, it is simply the sequence in which trains are read from the timetable files.

Here is the list :
  • unit : no. of units; if positive, units are detached at the front of the train, negative number defines units detached at the rear
  • leadingpower : front engine of the train
  • allleadingpower : all power units at the front of the train
  • trailingpower : rear engine of the train
  • alltrailingpower : all power units at the rear of the train

The following options should only be used if there are power units at one end of the train only, otherwise things may not go as intended :
  • power : all power units are detached - the program will detect at which end the power units are located
  • nonpower : as above, except the power units will continue as defined, the rest is detached

Finally, there is another interesting option but it should be used with care.
As known, consists in timetables can be defined as a combination of multiple parts, e.g. "loco + wagons".
These consist parts can be references in detach and transfer commands as definition of what is to be detached or transfered.
But - the train may not be formed of the consist (or consist parts) as defined for that train.
When a train is created (using $create or $static), the name of the consist(s) will be set for all units in that train, and these units will keep that name troughout their entire 'live' - regardless of any actions on that train. Any consist definition for a train which is $formed out of another train, or which is formed through a $detach command, will be ignored as the new train will inherit the consist definition from the train out of which is was created.
If 'pools' are used, then of course there is no knowing of what train will be made available, and unless all trains in that pool will always have the same consist, the use of the consist option for detach and transfer should not be used in combination with pools.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users