Elvas Tower: Proposal for print-position function - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proposal for print-position function Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:16 AM

A series of blueprints has been issued, in particular for proposals for timetable and signalling functions.
To keep some line in the discussion I will open a series of threads on the various subjects.

This is the first and it's a very simple and basic function :
blueprint for print position

It's just a little help for route-builders.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

View Postroeter, on 07 March 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

This is the first and it's a very simple and basic function :
blueprint for print position

It's just a little help for route-builders.

The idea is good, but I'd prefer we log this to the standard log file for now, and don't provide any options for it, but it can include multiple lines in the log, including marker-file format.

Additional logging settings are not going to help things when we already have the "Data logger" and "Evaluation", both of which need reworking IMHO, at which point we can integrate these log items into the reworked solution.

#3 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

One drawback with having the info in the log file is that it will get rather 'lost' among all the other information.
A more serious drawback is that the logfile is superseded if you start a new session. So you must always edit the logfile and take the data out to another file to saveguard the info.
The advantage of a separate file (which at present is always appended, not replaced) is that the information is available until you explicitly delete it. If you don't get round to dealing immediately with whatever it was, the information will still be there. Not so with the logfile.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

View Postroeter, on 20 March 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

One drawback with having the info in the log file is that it will get rather 'lost' among all the other information.
A more serious drawback is that the logfile is superseded if you start a new session. So you must always edit the logfile and take the data out to another file to saveguard the info.
The advantage of a separate file (which at present is always appended, not replaced) is that the information is available until you explicitly delete it. If you don't get round to dealing immediately with whatever it was, the information will still be there. Not so with the logfile.

That's all true...

I don't feel like the options for what format to log, etc., are that worthwhile in the grand scheme of settings-clutter (which is already fairly bad) so if we could at least start off with no settings that would make me happier.

And since we have a (hidden) setting called "LoggingPath" (which defaults to your desktop and is where the log file is put), could we start by putting a new file there, with the data is multiple formats like I suggested for the log file? Maybe OpenRailsMarkers.txt or something similar.

If people do really show an interest and, say, want a CSV-format output of this or another specific format we can look at a drop-down choice for it.

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:54 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 20 March 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

And since we have a (hidden) setting called "LoggingPath" (which defaults to your desktop and is where the log file is put), could we start by putting a new file there, with the data is multiple formats like I suggested for the log file? Maybe OpenRailsMarkers.txt or something similar.

Sounds fine, I will use that.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users