• You cannot reply to this topic

Extra Weather Request Clear, Rain, Snow &......... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Stijn D.C. 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:19 AM

Hello,

I wonna ask of it is possible to have extra weather in OpenRails.

And weather that you can handel to with ALT + P combination

You have now Clear, Rain, Snow

I will request for

* Storm Clear
* Storm Rain
* Storm Snow

Maybe it is handy that the "storm mode" can be activated if it is raining/snow/clear/Thunderlight that you use a second key commando SHIFT + (ALT) + P example for activate/deactivate "storm"

same system like vibration mod (with levels). And maybe is than 1 .sms file need for storm (it is most heavywindnoise...), or make 3 levels, with 3 SMS files (low, medium, heavy)

* Thunder & Lightning i will request for add as 4nd weather and offcourse = Clear/Rain/Snow/Thunderlight

But if i read my post maybe activate thunder & light can be made with 3 levelsystem too, and that make it easyer for mix seasons, weahter...

Otherwise if you activate thunder and storm in summer clear, normal the sky must be dark too, otherwise it is no realistic.

But i think a programmer can make that if you activated storm or thuntder that you have the same sky if you drive in rainweather...

It is just an idea

#2 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:39 AM

I would also love to see thunderstorm weather in OR. OR really needs a full weather "module" with additional parameters (e.g., lightning/thunder) to enhance the experience. This is especially true since the OR team has blessed us with the ability to have dynamic weather changes programmed into an activity. I'm eternally grateful for that awesome development in OR and I thank the OR team for making dynamic weather a reality.

#3 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/I-Agree.gif 'Full' weather patterns would be a sweet addition.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/oldstry.gif

#4 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

:I-Agree:

Robert

#5 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

:I-Agree: +3

#6 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:45 AM

Yes, dynamic weather (from sunshine to rain storm, or sunshine to light-then-heavy snow/etc) would be great, especially if it realistically affected traction as it does in the real world. More times than I can count, I've climbed aboard a very heavy "marginal" train (a train with which you just might not make it over the ruling grade even on dry rail) and had sprinkles start hitting the windshield. And yes, sometimes such has resulted in stalling on the ruling grade on account of reduced adhesion.

However, I suspect that with snow effects, one would need to start the activity in "snow/clear" mode (i.e. with snow textures already in place) for I seriously doubt it would be possible/practical to represent incremental snow accumulation.

In reality, just addressing the minor issues with the current weather effects (such as precipitation that doesn't fall all the way to the ground as well as disappears behind some objects) would be much appreciated.

#7 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

View PostCoonskin, on 25 February 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

use
However, I suspect that with snow effects, one would need to start the activity in "snow/clear" mode (i.e. with snow textures already in place) for I seriously doubt it would be possible/practical to represent incremental snow accumulation.

Yeah, not so sure. I think you could probably mess around with shaders to mimic incremental snow.

My thought was to use a snow microtex and gradually increase its opacity for ground textures, items with a terrain object flag, roads and rails.

Can the game engine distinguish between a horizontal and a vertical plane? If so, you might even be able to apply "accumulation" to surfaces that are quasi-horizontal planes like roofs, car tops, etc...

You could even simulate depth by raising up the microtex slightly so that the ties and ballast are gradually obscured and only the tops of the rails are present...

#8 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

I like that microtex idea. Might also be useful for winter and spring in places like California where snowfall varies by altitude. So going up Donner Pass one might start with green hills and somewhere around 5000 ft altitude transition to growing amounts of snow. Not sure how to simulate the canyon-in-snow effect of running at the upper levels of Donner after a storm and the rotaries/spreaders have just gone through, leaving vertical snow walls up to 30' high along the tracks.

#9 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

View PostMike B, on 25 February 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

I like that microtex idea. Might also be useful for winter and spring in places like California where snowfall varies by altitude. So going up Donner Pass one might start with green hills and somewhere around 5000 ft altitude transition to growing amounts of snow. Not sure how to simulate the canyon-in-snow effect of running at the upper levels of Donner after a storm and the rotaries/spreaders have just gone through, leaving vertical snow walls up to 30' high along the tracks.

Maybe a weather dependent shape object?...

#10 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

Although it is nice to think about different weather combinations, we do have to keep in mind that the texture system is still following MSTS. For example, we can run on a clear night(no snow option) and see the familiar night textures. We know what will happen if we run the same night run with the snow option. The night textures for buildings will be used. As it is now, OR is following the standard MSTS texture system. Not only will OR have to be changed, but a massive texture upgrade to add lit windows to snow covered buildings will need to be done.

Edward K.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users