• You cannot reply to this topic

OR 1.2.3766 crashes while saving Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:51 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 18 September 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

There is no video recording in the save file.

Right,
I'm not using the right word, but while I know it is not a video file, you could have guessed what I meant, that all the data recorded from the start that allows you to replay the whole thing. I used the term video for not knowing the right word and because I've known the word video was used in the past in simulators to do exactly the same job. One example is Microsoft Flight Simulator, you could save your flight (the snapshot of everything) but you could also record your flight and while it was not a real video file, you could replay your flight whenever you wanted but within the simulator only, and in the menu it was called "Flight Video".

So while I appreciate you correcting me about it, and knowing the save file grows bigger as we play, telling me "There is no video recording in the save file." is OK, but it is also a bit like saying you're wrong but I'm not telling you why or what it is and at the end it brings no help to the problem.

Cheers
Daniel

#22 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:08 PM

View Postvince, on 18 September 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

Is this a case of running Open Rails with Options > Data Logging turned on and not reading the warning there?

The "Logging" checkbox on the opening screen is not what I mention above and should be checked to provide a log to help diagnose problems.

regards,
vince

OK, yes the "Logging" checkbox has always been checked but I realized the "Start logging with the simulation start" was not checked and as I have not finished studying the book, I just realized, in that case, I would have had to press <F12>.
So I'll try it again tomorrow with that option.
Thank you Vince

Daniel

#23 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:31 PM

View PostCNfan, on 18 September 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

OK, yes the "Logging" checkbox has always been checked but I realized the "Start logging with the simulation start" was not checked and as I have not finished studying the book, I just realized, in that case, I would have had to press <F12>.So I'll try it again tomorrow with that option.Thank you Vince. Daniel

Hi Daniel,
Yes you DO want the 'Logging' check box but NO!! you do not want the 'Data Logger' on the Options > Datalogger Tab enabled at all!

Please read the warning on the Options > 'Data Logger Tab.

If you have this enabled the log will grow hugely in size as you run the Sim! You do not want that on at all.
Only the 'Logging' checkbox on the OR opening screen should be checked . . . Nothing Else.

This was confusing to me also when I first began using Open Rails.The Logging checkbox and the Data Logger in options art two completely different log processes in Open Rails.
regards.
vince

#24 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:15 AM

View Postvince, on 18 September 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

Hi Daniel,
Yes you DO want the 'Logging' check box but NO!! you do not want the 'Data Logger' on the Options > Datalogger Tab enabled at all!

Please read the warning on the Options > 'Data Logger Tab.

If you have this enabled the log will grow hugely in size as you run the Sim! You do not want that on at all.
Only the 'Logging' checkbox on the OR opening screen should be checked . . . Nothing Else.

This was confusing to me also when I first began using Open Rails.The Logging checkbox and the Data Logger in options art two completely different log processes in Open Rails.
regards.
vince

Vince, thank you very much for making it more clear for me. I just realized I misinterpreted what you said in the previous post, about the Logging checkbox. English is not my mother tongue and sometimes I can understand the wrong way.
So I'll test this today.

Daniel

#25 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:09 AM

View PostCNfan, on 18 September 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

Right,
I'm not using the right word, but while I know it is not a video file, you could have guessed what I meant, that all the data recorded from the start that allows you to replay the whole thing. I used the term video for not knowing the right word and because I've known the word video was used in the past in simulators to do exactly the same job. One example is Microsoft Flight Simulator, you could save your flight (the snapshot of everything) but you could also record your flight and while it was not a real video file, you could replay your flight whenever you wanted but within the simulator only, and in the menu it was called "Flight Video".

So while I appreciate you correcting me about it, and knowing the save file grows bigger as we play, telling me "There is no video recording in the save file." is OK, but it is also a bit like saying you're wrong but I'm not telling you why or what it is and at the end it brings no help to the problem.

Cheers
Daniel

Daniel, if you write "video" I can't know you mean something other, sorry. No intention to act as a teacher correcting the pupil, but instead trying to provide useful info.
By the way it's the first time I read that the dimension of the save file causes a problem (although there always is a first time...) As Vince says, if you attach the OpenRailsLog.txt file you get at the moment you are thrown back to the menu windonw, that can help to understand what is occurring.

#26 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:39 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 19 September 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

Daniel, if you write "video" I can't know you mean something other, sorry. No intention to act as a teacher correcting the pupil, but instead trying to provide useful info.
By the way it's the first time I read that the dimension of the save file causes a problem (although there always is a first time...) As Vince says, if you attach the OpenRailsLog.txt file you get at the moment you are thrown back to the menu windonw, that can help to understand what is occurring.

It's OK Csantucci, thank you, that was kind of you. For the size of the file causing problem, it looks like it but who knows if something else is the real cause and it fools me.
I test it now so in a minute I'll post the file.
Thanks

Daniel

#27 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:49 AM

Wow!
It shows a lot of warning about the rolling stock I downloaded from trainsim.com a couple of years ago. Up to now, I've learnt to change the cab files and the sound files but I can see I'll have to find many files that were not in the downloads. There is quite a lot to learn to correct in the right way my locos and cars.
Well here is the file. I wish I could understand everything, this file speaks a lot.
Thank you
Daniel

Attached File(s)

#28 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:53 AM

The logfile shows that there has been a thread hang, which means that the execution of a part of the code has been too long, and the watchdog has interrupted the execution of the program, supposing an endless loop. Instead there is no endless loop, because the thread hang has occurred during this code part
                // Copy the logfile to the save folder
                CopyLog(Path.Combine(UserSettings.UserDataFolder, fileStem + ".txt"));

That's interesting: being the logfile so long, the copy operation is so long that the watchdog interrupts the program. There are two solutions to that: reducing the dimension of the logfile or restarting the program with the OR NewYear MG version (see specific thread for download link) after having unchecked the "Watchdog" general option. Pls note that in this case you can't use old saves, because the OR NewYear MG saves are not compatible with the saves of the standard OR version.
If you instead want to try reducing the dimension of the logfile you have a first fast thing to do, that is unchecking the experimental option "Show shape warnings". If that is not enough (it should be enough) you must try reducing the number of warnings about the .wag files. This would mean replace the "n/m" strings in the .wag file lines indicated in the log with "n/m/s".

#29 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:19 AM

Is this perhaps a problem arising from the Replay facility which saves all the user's instructions since the start or a previous save? They start small but grow without limit.

These files are saved in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails\*.replay Just a thought.

#30 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 20 September 2019 - 12:53 AM, said:

The logfile shows that there has been a thread hang, which means that the execution of a part of the code has been too long, and the watchdog has interrupted the execution of the program, supposing an endless loop. Instead there is no endless loop, because the thread hang has occurred during this code part
                // Copy the logfile to the save folder
                CopyLog(Path.Combine(UserSettings.UserDataFolder, fileStem + ".txt"));

That's interesting: being the logfile so long, the copy operation is so long that the watchdog interrupts the program. There are two solutions to that: reducing the dimension of the logfile or restarting the program with the OR NewYear MG version (see specific thread for download link) after having unchecked the "Watchdog" general option. Pls note that in this case you can't use old saves, because the OR NewYear MG saves are not compatible with the saves of the standard OR version.
If you instead want to try reducing the dimension of the logfile you have a first fast thing to do, that is unchecking the experimental option "Show shape warnings". If that is not enough (it should be enough) you must try reducing the number of warnings about the .wag files. This would mean replace the "n/m" strings in the .wag file lines indicated in the log with "n/m/s".

I'll try that (unchecking the "Show shape warning") also now I know what to do about "n/m" warnings, I'll also fix that in my .wag files. I think I will also install the OR NewYear MG version, which I didn't know about that.
Thank you, I'll share the result.

Daniel

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users