• You cannot reply to this topic

OR 1.2.3766 crashes while saving Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:19 AM

View PostCNfan, on 14 March 2017 - 07:30 AM, said:

Where the folder is concerned, I feel I'm going to learn something new through your suggestion. I've always sorted out my computer myself including the settings in the system, but I would admit I have never experimented this one before, having moved from Windows XP (with no SSD) directly to Windows 10, I never needed something this way.
Now with your suggestion and cjakeman's one, that gives me plenty to sort this out.

I've used the trick on XP computers before. Why have "C:\Documents and Settings\Jovet\My Documents" when you could just have C:\Docs? I know I use the Command Prompt a lot more than most people do, but burying everything 18 folders deep is inconvenient and takes longer to type/click. The C:\Docs folder is a junction, which is essentially a folder, which simply points at the actual folder. Looking at the contents of one is the same as looking at the contents of the other. Deleting files in the one deletes the files in both, since they're the same. It's very handy. Windows Vista and 7 and beyond make common use of junctions. For example, there's a "legacy" C:\Documents and Settings folder which is a junction that points at C:\Users to accommodate poorly designed software which is "hard-coded" to look at the older XP-style folder arrangement.

It's kind-of hard to explain without getting too technical and showing good examples, but I hope you get the idea. If you find you need any more specific advice or instructions on how to do it, just let me know.

#12 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

Hello everybody, I'm sorry I have left this subject unfinished from my part, but I've been kept away from my train sim for a long while. Jovet, I used your idea in creating a junction and actually it is very easy. Windows (apparently Vista and above) offer this command: MKLINK [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] Link Target. (for junction use the "/J" switch)

So to help anyone who, like me, wish to move the Saved files from the folder in the C:\Users, I proceeded like this:
1- In my case, I created my new folder on my disk "E": E:\Open Rails
2- I transfered all the files from the original open rails folder (from disk "C") into my new folder "E:\Open Rails"
3- I deleted the original Open Rails folder in the C:\Users\...
4- I then created the junction like this:
a- Starting "Command Prompt" Administrative level"
b- just use the command "MKLINK /J Link Target". Link is the name of the junction. For the Open Rails folder (at least in windows 8 to 10) it is: "Open Rails", we must keep the same as the old deleted folder. If we are not already in the path where to create, we have to include the path with the junction name as "Link".
So in my case "Link" is: "C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails"
and "Target" is: "E:\Open Rails"
So in my case it was: MKLINK /J "C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails" "E:\Open Rails"
that's it, done, just exit Command Prompt.

For those who prefer there is another way, which I didn't use. This is a little software to download, here is the link to the page where you can download and in the page they also explain how to do:

https://technet.micr...s/bb896768.aspx

I hope that helps anyone who are not technical.
And I thank you Jovet for leading me to that.

Daniel

#13 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

cjakeman, I haven't tried your idea by creating an "ini" file in the Open Rails folder of the program as I don't know the coding of it by I'll also do some research about that as it can be very helpful.
Thank you.

Daniel

#14 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:39 AM

View PostCNfan, on 13 April 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

So in my case "Link" is: "C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails"
and "Target" is: "E:\Open Rails"
So in my case it was: MKLINK /J C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails E:\Open Rails.

Glad I could help, Daniel. Looks like you got your problem solved. FYI, there are non-command-prompt utilities that can do this too, which can be web searched easily if one is interested.... but nothing wrong with working with what comes with Windows.

One point about your instructions: It's important that paths with special characters such as spaces have double-quotation marks around them when referring to them in a Command Prompt. So, your ultimate command line above should look like:
MKLINK /J "C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails" "E:\Open Rails"

And in case anyone is also wondering, the capitalization does not matter.

#15 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostJovet, on 14 April 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

Glad I could help, Daniel. Looks like you got your problem solved. FYI, there are non-command-prompt utilities that can do this too, which can be web searched easily if one is interested.... but nothing wrong with working with what comes with Windows.

One point about your instructions: It's important that paths with special characters such as spaces have double-quotation marks around them when referring to them in a Command Prompt. So, your ultimate command line above should look like:
MKLINK /J "C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails" "E:\Open Rails"

And in case anyone is also wondering, the capitalization does not matter.

Thanks Jovet, I've missed that point and I corrected it on my post.

Daniel

#16 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

Hello everybody, I've been a long time not being able to use the simulator but at last, I could have some time now. I've been learning to tweak a bit in my cars files.
I now have a little bit more precise details about the problem I mentioned here a couple of years ago.
It seems OR starts failing to save properly when the save file reaches around 1Gbytes, it jumps out of the activity back into the main OR menu and when I try to resume from that last save, which the png file is inexistent, trying to load it crashes showing the message (the short one) that I posted before.
Thanks, I hope it can help if it is a bug.

#17 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

Hi CNfan,
The first question is, if you're using v1.2.3766, why?? You should be using the stable version v1.3.1, at least!

The second question : Are you running out of RAM? Computer specs might be useful.

The .png file is only an image and 1GB is HUGE for a save file!! What route are you running?

Cheers,
Ged

#18 User is offline   CNfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

View Postslipperman, on 18 September 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

Hi CNfan,
The first question is, if you're using v1.2.3766, why?? You should be using the stable version v1.3.1, at least!

The second question : Are you running out of RAM? Computer specs might be useful.

The .png file is only an image and 1GB is HUGE for a save file!! What route are you running?

Cheers,
Ged

Hi Slipperman,
Sorry about that! I am, since the original post, with v1.3.1.4328.
No problem of memory amount.
Computer spec:
Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz
32 Gbyte of memory
Windows 10 64-bits
I mentioned the .png picture file only to say that when this happens, OR doesn't reach that step of creating it.
The problem isn't related with a specific route, I've had it with a Whitefish route in the past, Quebec-Charlevoix, and since, with the Arizona route.
I use a lot of static cars, over 20 locomotives in my player which I then split for different tasks, in different trains. I do a lot of local road switching, full distance with different long trains and so play as an open activity which ends only when I encounter this problem.
Thank you for your help and I hope this will help others.
I guess I am the fanatic type who would need a save without the whole video recording if that is the problem.
Thank you Ged
Daniel

#19 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

There is no video recording in the save file.

#20 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

Is this a case of running Open Rails with Options > Data Logging turned on and not reading the warning there?

The "Logging" checkbox on the opening screen is not what I mention above and should be checked to provide a log to help diagnose problems.

regards,
vince

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users