• You cannot reply to this topic

TSRE5 TERRAIN EDITING Clarify Terrain Editing Instructions. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

Quote from tsre5 manual.

Go to Terrain Tools. Menu Tools->Terrain or F2.
+1. Use Fixed Height button and click on tile if you want to reset its height map to fixed value.
+2. Use Water level button and click on tile if you want to set water level for tile.
+3. Use Show/H Water button and click on small tile if you want to show/hide water.
+4. Use Show/H Tile button and click on small tile if you want to show/hide it.
If you wamt to show hidden tile - click on its line.
+5. If you want to make holes in terrain, use Gaps button and click where you want. You can use holes for tunel entrances. If you want to fill the holes, show water first.

Attached File  TSRE5 TERRAIN EDIT.jpg (128.56K)
Number of downloads: 19
+1. I assume the fixed height display is the value and will flatten entire tile to that value?http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gif
+I note that the Undo function does not include terrain alteration?

+2. Good! Understood and easy to use.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gif

+3. Yes! Works like a charm.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gif

+4. Well . . .I'm not so good with this one.
It's difficult to get the pointer (cursor) to 'click on it's line if I want to restore the sub-tile.
When click on sub-tile to show/hide FIRST TIME is fine but getting the tile back is a real chore.
Do I really need to have the water turned on to alter terrain patches?
There has to be a better way.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/negative.gif The water requirement? . . . no a good thing in my opinion.

+5. So if I want to make tunnel entrances (accomplished in MSRE with place cursor on vertex and press 'V') you're saying I have to set water level for a tile? Or I'll be unable to recover the 'holes'?
That seems a bit counterproductive to me.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/negative.gif

Three out of five okay is a good start. The others . . . well they work but . . . Up for discussion?

regards
vince

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

1. You can undo terrain Heightmap painting and texture painting.
5. You enable water only for a moment when you want to fill the hole. Whats bad with it? ...
If you have problem with 4, you can also load a map and showing hidden terrain will be easier.

#3 User is online   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

View PostGoku, on 02 February 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

1. You can undo terrain Heightmap painting and texture painting.
5. You enable water only for a moment when you want to fill the hole. Whats bad with it? ...
If you have problem with 4, you can also load a map and showing hidden terrain will be easier.

Hi Goku,

1. Please explain in detail the steps to do this. This is what I meant by Don't re-invent the Wheel.
MSRE had a perfectly easy to use method to do this. Why change something that works.
Improve NOT do the same thing with everything different. Maybe you have a reason but I couldn't come up with one

5. "Whats bad...?" Are you kidding? Having to first set the tile water height. enabling water ect. It's crude. What if I don't want water on the tile? Does setting water level use resources? Seems contrived. Not elegant.

4. Okay, yes I have a problem with 4. Vague instructions for one. Loading a map? What map? Please give steps to do this. Thanks,

regards,
vince

#4 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

1. Please explain in detail the steps to do this. This is what I meant by Don't re-invent the Wheel.
MSRE had a perfectly easy to use method to do this. Why change something that works.

In TSRE, use ctrl+z. What's wrong with ctrl+z?

5. "Whats bad...?" Are you kidding? Having to first set the tile water height. enabling water ect. It's crude. What if I don't want water on the tile? Does setting water level use resources? Seems contrived. Not elegant.

Oh !!! You enable only for a moment when you want to fill the hole. You don't need to set water level etc. .. how ofter are you filling holes?

4. How to is in TSRE guide.

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

Any chance you could create one or more floating toolbar(s) with icons that when clicked will invoke these functions that are at present keystroke only? The software would be easier to use when first learning it.

Also, WRT the undo, you really need to provide that for terrain mesh alteration too. It's way too easy to goof while doing that kind of editing and finding the right files to restore is difficult, esp. on a large route.

#6 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 02 February 2017 - 08:33 PM, said:

Any chance you could create one or more floating toolbar(s) with icons that when clicked will invoke these functions that are at present keystroke only? The software would be easier to use when first learning it.

I'm thinking about context menu (right click).

View PostGenma Saotome, on 02 February 2017 - 08:33 PM, said:

Also, WRT the undo, you really need to provide that for terrain mesh alteration too. It's way too easy to goof while doing that kind of editing and finding the right files to restore is difficult, esp. on a large route.

But it is available for mesh.* Why are you commenting something without trying :( It's simple ctrl+z ... Also TSRE has UNDO history of 100 actions, not jus one like MSTS RE.
Only for .T files (shaders) undo isn't available.

* Except the " Tile Fixed Height". I totally forgot about it.

#7 User is online   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

View PostGoku, on 02 February 2017 - 07:16 PM, said:

In TSRE, use ctrl+z. What's wrong with ctrl+z?
Oh !!! You enable only for a moment when you want to fill the hole. You don't need to set water level etc. .. how ofter are you filling holes?
4. How to is in TSRE guide.

Re use ctrl+z:
I see nothing in the Guide about Ctrl+Z
On page 4 of 4 of Main Window Working with Objects section:
Z - Add selected track to TDB

and below that in Terrain Keys:
Z - change heightmap painting direction + or -. ...painting? (Do you mean 'moving terrain up/down?)

On Page 1 of 4 in the Editing Terrain section Halfway down the page
Painting Terrain Heightmaps:
Item 4.- "If you want to switch between making mountains and valleys press Z"
That's it, no more references to Z's.

Re Water on to fill holes? LOL. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif
There has to be something better that that Goku.
++ In MSRE? **Right mouse click to Open terrain patch properties to set draw terrain on or off. Same thing for water ect. Simple. **edit add

++ If I don't set water level I don't get any water! Terrain is +5 meters altitude. Pointer altitude in the hole shows -3000 meters.
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_sorry.gifEDIT: Oh I see. I need to click at the very edge of the tile with the show/H water button active.
Umm... why not click anywhere in empty space to toggle? Left click terrain patch toggle, Right click for water toggle.
Also why remove terrain mesh? Would not it be easier to just not paint that sub-tile patch?

In MSRE? For making or filling holes you place terrain cursor (brush) on a mesh vertex and press the 'V' key. Toggles the terrain polygon on or off with each key press. Does the job nice & easy.
EDIT ADD: Trying the make holes in terrain, tunnel entrance and so on. I very much like your GAPS button active and click on the terrain polys to toggle & mouse is more convenient and easier to use. Using the 'V' key to 'press' the GAPS button as you did with '/' for terrain collision would be welcome.
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

To fill an empty Terrain Sub-Tile You say "Click on the Tile (sub-tile) line" Wow!
That's pretty doggone hard to do! I have to MICRO millimeter move the yellow pointer around the sub-tile edge line until I see it turn into a cross. If I'm VERY lucky the pointer wont jiggle off the line as I move my finger to press the Mouse! button. About a 50-50 fail rate doing this. 5, 6 or more tryies usually gets it. YIKES!
I DID get it to work but there must be a better way! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif Make the lines thicker? IDK.

And just a heads up to let you know I've uncovered another XZ positioning bug, this time it's a Static Object. I'll compose new post after sending this one off.
Same object shows different positions in TSRE & MSRE. Ouch! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/scarerun.gif
And again that pesky TSUtils ICHK test found it.
KUDO's to you & TSRE for showing the UID in the selected object panel. Made the object easy to find!
Best regards,
vince

#8 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

I see nothing in the Guide about Ctrl+Z

Guide is a little outdated. Lots of functions missing. I will update it for TSRE 0.7 version.

#9 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:48 AM

and below that in Terrain Keys:
Z - change heightmap painting direction + or -. ...painting? (Do you mean 'moving terrain up/down?)

On Page 1 of 4 in the Editing Terrain section Halfway down the page
Painting Terrain Heightmaps:
Item 4.- "If you want to switch between making mountains and valleys press Z"
That's it, no more references to Z's.

Both means the same.

I DID get it to work but there must be a better way! Posted Image Make the lines thicker? IDK.

You can. Set in settings.txt bigger value than 1:
oglDefaultLineWidth = 2
Or you can load map, and click easy in the Sub-Tile center.

#10 User is online   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:30 PM

View PostGoku, on 03 February 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

.............snip...............................
You can. Set in settings.txt bigger value than 1:
oglDefaultLineWidth = 2
Or you can load map, and click easy in the Sub-Tile center.

Hi Goku,

NICE!! Works like a charm with settings at oglDefaultLineWidth = 3
regards,
vince

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users