Elvas Tower: Using DB-Tracks as DisplayBase.s in Shape Viewer - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using DB-Tracks as DisplayBase.s in Shape Viewer Problem is that base is always on a different level to train models Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Alexey_Soljenitchev 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:02 AM

Hi folks,

I am trying to figure out a way to use DB3 tracks straights, specifically the 500m single one, as the DisplayBase.s in ShapeViewer. The default Scale Rail base is not authentic for German models and besides it is way too short, even for larger single locomotives. But when I set it this way, the base is always 25cm lower than the models, making it useless as you cannot position the first shape loaded into Shape Viewer. So I tried to set the base higher with Shape File Manager, shifting it up - but the problem persists just the same way and the new height is ignored by ShapeViewer. I also noticed that the width shift settings for the display base file are also ignored, only the length shifts show correctly!

Any ideas?

I know that I could just load the DB3 track file as a regular first shape and then load the locomotives and waggons, but this makes it all very complicated and not practical for everyday use.

:wheelchair:

Attached File  Clipboard013.jpg (327.83K)
Number of downloads: 2

#2 User is offline   Alexey_Soljenitchev 

• Conductor

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:13 AM

This is what it should look like ...

Attached File  Clipboard012.jpg (528.72K)
Number of downloads: 2

#3 User is offline   Alexey_Soljenitchev 

• Conductor

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:28 AM

Curiously enough it works alright with DB Tracks of the type 1 (cement sleepers). So I will use a 500m piece of track of this type, but the question why the wooden tie version does not work remains a mystery. :buffalobill:

Attached File  Clipboard01s.jpg (297.39K)
Number of downloads: 3

#4 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

That's really odd! Is there something strange with the bounding box for the wood version?

#5 User is offline   Huecuvoe 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

Uncompress the shape file and check the matrices section to see if there is a Y shift for the MAIN shape matrix. Shape Viewer will display any shift in the MAIN matrix but MSTS simply ignores it. I have found many shape files with shifts to the MAIN matrix that display differently in Shape Viewer than they do in MSTS.

#6 User is offline   Alexey_Soljenitchev 

• Conductor

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

View Postpaulytechnic, on 01 February 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

That's really odd! Is there something strange with the bounding box for the wood version?

Maybe. I copied the shape file for the base into the program directory without the *.sd file for the bounding box, as it is not required in Shape Viewer. But then again why would it work with the DB1 track shape and not with the DB3 tracks?

You can check it out yourself by downloading the DB-Tracks from this site: http://msts-tiefbau.de/

I am done with it for the moment ... real life calling. <_<

#7 User is offline   Alexey_Soljenitchev 

• Conductor

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostHuecuvoe, on 01 February 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Uncompress the shape file and check the matrices section to see if there is a Y shift for the MAIN shape matrix. Shape Viewer will display any shift in the MAIN matrix but MSTS simply ignores it. I have found many shape files with shifts to the MAIN matrix that display differently in Shape Viewer than they do in MSTS.

OK, I will do that laters ... Thank you for this piece of insider information. :sign_thanks:

#8 User is offline   Huecuvoe 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

My bad. It has been awhile since I played with modifying track bases for Shape Viewer and I forgot that they must be shifted up (+Y) with respect to the "standard" track height in MSTS. The maximum Y for a standard MSTS track section is ~0.325m. The maximum Y for a track base in Shape Viewer should be ~0.6m. The solution is to shift the desired track base UP, Y shift = +0.275m. Shape File Manager (SFM) can do this.

My earlier comment about differences in the way Shape Viewer and MSTS display shape files with the shift in the main matrix is still true. It just probably isn't the solution to your problem.

#9 User is offline   Alexey_Soljenitchev 

• Conductor

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:40 AM

View PostHuecuvoe, on 01 February 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

My bad. It has been awhile since I played with modifying track bases for Shape Viewer and I forgot that they must be shifted up (+Y) with respect to the "standard" track height in MSTS. The maximum Y for a standard MSTS track section is ~0.325m. The maximum Y for a track base in Shape Viewer should be ~0.6m. The solution is to shift the desired track base UP, Y shift = +0.275m. Shape File Manager (SFM) can do this.

My earlier comment about differences in the way Shape Viewer and MSTS display shape files with the shift in the main matrix is still true. It just probably isn't the solution to your problem.

I did shift it up but the shift had no effect in Shape Viewer, as I tried to explain in my first post above.

I know this is not supposed to happen. I did shift the cement sleeper tracks up and it worked. But no joy with the wooden version! Not if set as the default display base.

#10 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

Just swap the concrete texture of DB1 tracks to wooden texture.... :pleasantry:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users