Elvas Tower: Steam effects for diesel locomotives and passenger cars - Elvas Tower

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam effects for diesel locomotives and passenger cars Additional parameter Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:50 PM

View Postxavivilla, on 04 September 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

I am trying to smoke a van with a steam boiler for heating and the effects 'HeatingSteamBoilerFX' and 'HeatingHoseFX' show nothing.
Is the rolling stock configured to allow steam heating to work?

See this page for more information.

If this is a diesel or a van, then I would need to check the code to see how it works.

#82 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:10 AM

I can confirm that SpecialEffect functions (eg HeatingHoseFX, WagonSmokeFX, etc.) do not really work with OR MonoGame. Not even with the new merged version.

#83 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:59 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 04 September 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

Is the rolling stock configured to allow steam heating to work?

See this page for more information.

If this is a diesel or a van, then I would need to check the code to see how it works.

I think we don understand each other. I try to put the Visual Effects described here in a wagon, in my case a Carriage where the head of the train is, the postal service and the heating boiler that supplies steam to the rest of Carriages. The locomotive can be a diesel or an electric one, depending on the area of ​​the route.

I attached the wag file of the Carriage in case you want to see it.

Attached File(s)

#84 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:28 AM

View PostLamplighter, on 05 September 2019 - 12:10 AM, said:

I can confirm that SpecialEffect functions (eg HeatingHoseFX, WagonSmokeFX, etc.) do not really work with OR MonoGame. Not even with the new merged version.

I have tested these in the latest unstable version, and both of these appear to work correctly (As the MG version is a derivative of the mainstream version - similar to the unstable version, I would expect the MG version will work).

I would suggest trying the unstable version first to confirm that the stock has been correctly set up, and then try the same stock in MG version.

It should be noted that the steam leaks associated with HeatingHoseFX will only appear when the steam heating is turned on from the locomotive - Alt-U and Alt-D. Also note that the locomotive has to be set up for steam heating.

View Postxavivilla, on 05 September 2019 - 03:59 AM, said:

I think we don understand each other. I try to put the Visual Effects described here in a wagon, in my case a Carriage where the head of the train is, the postal service and the heating boiler that supplies steam to the rest of Carriages. The locomotive can be a diesel or an electric one, depending on the area of ​​the route.
This was also tested in the Unstable version, and works ok if the steam generator is located in a locomotive fitted with steam heating capability.

As also suggested above it does not currently work where the generator is located in a wagon instead of the locomotive.

This will require a code change and I will have a look at it in the foreseeable future.

I hope to set up a tutorial in the near future to demonstrate these features, and allow testing of the functionality.

Thanks

#85 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for everything Peter. We will wait for that code update and the tutorial. :hi:

#86 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:58 PM

I have now created a demonstration activity that shows how some of the visual effects work for wagons.

This activity can be downloaded from this page, and uses either the MG or Unstable version of OR.

#87 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:37 PM

Steam heating features have now been further updated. Having read through this thread the new additions cover most of the things that have been discussed.

There are now additional visual effects and vehicles can be set up to have appropriate steam consumption.

Steam generators can now be added to diesel and electric locomotives. It is also possible to set up steam generator vans such as the "Cocotte-Minute" fourgons-chaudière.

Diesel and electric locomotive boiler water tanks can be replenished from water columns if needed. (For those of you that like class 40s and Deltics, refill from water troughs can also be set up!)

In addition to heating for coaching stock, it is also possible to add steam heating for goods wagons such as banana vans.

A description of the features now available is given on the Coals to Newcastle website.

There is also a demonstration activity there.

There is no "blowing off" from steam generators though - but then in recent versions of OR you rarely see steam locos blowing off except when you are the fireman.

With regard to using steam for air conditioning in the summer months - in order to get the steam effects and steam consumption you would need to set the car thermostat to a temperature above ambient.

#88 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:35 PM

View Postdarwins, on 28 May 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

With regard to using steam for air conditioning in the summer months - in order to get the steam effects and steam consumption you would need to set the car thermostat to a temperature above ambient.

Refresh my memory, is this "thermostat" functionality you speak of currently available for heating? Meaning that when the cars are hot enough, the steam for heating to that car is shut off, thereby decreasing the overall steam usage? I'm confused.

Let's also not forget that steam was needed for hot water in the coach restrooms, dining car kitchen and sleeping car shower facilities (on cars so equipped). it may seem a little pointless but in the real world, steam was needed regardless of the season...

#89 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:01 AM

The thermostat is a new function available in the latest unstable versions:

ORTSHeatingCompartmentTemperatureSet ( 16 )

The amount of steam needed to provide hot water in lavatories would be fairly small. If you turn out the steam heating then even if the ambient temperature is above thermostat temperature for the car there is still a minimal steam usage which will adequately represent this.

The concept of applying steam all year round depends on where you live and the the rules of your railway.

In UK the heating pipes were removed from the locos during the summer months and when visiting the lavatory you washed your hands with cold water. Steam from the heating system was not required by kitchen cars which were generally fuelled by gas, electricity (from dynamos and batteries), anthracite or in a few rare cases electricity from a diesel generator. The following instructions are taken from the LMS General Appendix:

https://i.imgur.com/DwK9xkK.jpg

#90 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:55 PM

Sorry to bump this thread, but I've found some more info on the heating and air conditioning of passenger cars in the US (I apologize in advance if some of these have been posted before):

Pullman AC Controls Manual
Pullman Heating Manual
Vapor Train Heating Manual
Pullman Water Raising Sysytem

Although I think this is may be of no use to us in OR, I might suggest simulating cars equipped with ice and/or electro-mechanical air conditioning, but except for simulating the extra drag and resistance that the compressor or generator drive has on the axle, or (in the case of later cars) the under-floor diesel generators used to operate the system, I see no benefit to simulating these systems. Speaking of axle-driven generators:

Pullman Spicer Drive Manual
Pullman DC Electrical Gear Manual

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users