Elvas Tower: Are we ready yet? Animating things independent of locomotive movement - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are we ready yet? Animating things independent of locomotive movement Fans, bells, etc on locomotives..etc Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

For some time now we have been able to animate things on scenery items, independently. The item is placed on a world tile and the animation just works.

For locomotives it is a different story, with the exception of wiper blades or mirrors, things that move on a locomotive are completely dependent on the speed of the same. This is great for wheels and rods but not for things like fans and bells.

You can do this: Attached File  Fanimations.txt (92.1K)
Number of downloads: 496 if you want, (it is a left as an exercise to the reader to enjoy and/or suffer with what I created some years back!) to create animations that stop on a locomotive at some point and for a period or time only or perhaps we can move forward a bit.

The idea and implementation of asynchronous animations in OR has been around for some time, eg: scenery items.

I ask would it not be possible to do the same on a locomotive? Either the fans are triggered by a key press, regardless if the trains is moving or not, or better still, are switched off and on by upper and lower trigger points related to temperature and in the case of dynamic brakes by the control/speed of the locomotive?

In the shape file we could have names such as
Fan01
Fan10

maybe

DynFan01
DynFan10 (yes of course I have only ever seen one per locomotive!!!)

maybe

Bell01

etc.

These animations would work by, example with the bell, when the "B" key is pressed, for others, as mentioned above by temperature etc. Ideally the cooling fans would not come on all at once..maybe in stages..etc.

We already have special protocols in place that allow for animation of 3D cabs in OR, adding the requested feature for a running locomotive should be rather simple.

I ask for creative thinking here, and constructive ones, as I have not fully fleshed this out. I do have my animation "script" that I have shared with you here that I can use, but if TS2016 etc can have running fans that is not dependent on the movement of the locomotive why can we not have the same or better in OR?

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Nice.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users