• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can we turn the lights on, in a 3D Cab...why not? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

Taking a closer look at a few 3D cabs, and playing with the time of day, it becomes apparent that most cabs go pitch black when the sun goes down. In a 2D Cab you can press the "L" key and turn on the lights, but that is NOT so in a 3D cab. The only way around this is to cheat by using half/full bright shaders in the model, but then you lose the lighting/shadow effects that you wanted with the 3D cab in the first place. I do not know how this went unnoticed, and if there is a subject heading on specific problem this please steer me to it!

I suppose that you could set up a sphere of light to fill the 3D cab somehow, but OR only supports one sphere of light at any given time. So when you engage the lights, your cab will be lit, but not the track ahead of the engine. I have not tried this idea, where a sphere of light would have its origin right inside the cab. Again OR only supports one sphere of light that I know of.

#2 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

You can use ESD_Alternative function to use a night texture. If your 3D program supports it you can bake some cab lights directly to it. This way you will have lightning at night in 3D cab

#3 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

View PostHamza97, on 22 January 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

You can use ESD_Alternative function to use a night texture. If your 3D program supports it you can bake some cab lights directly to it. This way you will have lightning at night in 3D cab

err.....if you have an example of this...THAT WORKS FOR A 3D CAB....please post it here!

Otherwise...the ESD_Alternative that I know of..only works for route items, not rolling stock.

#4 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 04 February 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

Otherwise...the ESD_Alternative that I know of..only works for route items, not rolling stock.

It does work for engines and wagons, too.

But whether it'd work for 3D cabs is another matter.

#5 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:55 AM

View PostJovet, on 06 February 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

It does work for engines and wagons, too.But whether it'd work for 3D cabs is another matter.

It works.... :dance3: :cheers3:
Made a quick test model, using cab of a WIP model. Baked the light of Lamp using Blender. Set the ESD to 256 and done. Attached is the same 3D cab.

Attached File  Night3DTest.zip (1.36MB)
Number of downloads: 292

#6 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

View PostHamza97, on 09 February 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

Made a quick test model, using cab of a WIP model. Baked the light of Lamp using Blender. Set the ESD to 256 and done.

Well done.

I took a look in the OPen Rails manual and 3D Cabs appear (14.3) though "ESD_Alternative" doesn't appear anywhere.

Would you be willing to write a few words explaining how to achieve cab lighting in 3D and I can get them included in the manual? That would be great.

Thanks for your efforts,

#7 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

It works.... :dance3: :cheers3:
A really good thing! Have to complete my 3D cabview with night textures now.

Just a little issue should be fixed. The day time when OR starts makes a difference about the transition of the textures from day to night and vice versa. When starting OR at night the switching to the day textures will happen correctly with the sunrise and again to the night textures after the dusk.
But when OR starts at a daytime and go into the night, the day textures will stay and no switching to the night textures is seen.

Edit: It only happens when the Experimental option "Load night textures only when needed" is selected.

...tunnels cause a forced change from 2D cabview to 3D cabview (when available)

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:52 AM

View Postjonas, on 09 February 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

But when OR starts at a daytime and go into the night, the day textures will stay and no switching to the night textures is seen.

Edit: It only happens when the Experimental option "Load night textures only when needed" is selected.

Fixed in x.3790.

View Postjonas, on 09 February 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

...tunnels cause a forced change from 2D cabview to 3D cabview (when available)

Fixed in x.3791.

There is a third point that needs to be fixed: switch from day 3Dcab to night 3Dcab does not occur when entering tunnel. This is probably because the 3Dcab shape is managed within the scenery objects, and they don't have a check for being underground.

#9 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 10 February 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

There is a third point that needs to be fixed: switch from day 3Dcab to night 3Dcab does not occur when entering tunnel. This is probably because the 3Dcab shape is managed within the scenery objects, and they don't have a check for being underground.

I noticed this too, but wasn't sure if it was intended not to switch to the (very darkend) night texture version in a tunnel. Could be that it looks too dark then. Don't know...
Carlo, thanks for fixing the two points above!

#10 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

It works...
Made a quick test model, using cab of a WIP model. Baked the light of Lamp using Blender. Set the ESD to 256 and done. Attached is the same 3D cab.

Excellent work! No more dark 3D Cabs at night.

Yes we better document this, as simple "hand waiving" through the OR manual omits this..as Chris has found out!

I still ask why the CabLight directory for 3D Cabs when the user presses the "L" key is not supported? This is simply transplant from the 2D cab code..n'est-ce pas?
Signor Santucci, prego?

Thanks for the perseverance!
Steve

PS: Payware/Freeware developers please take note of this simple existing enhancement.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users