• You cannot reply to this topic

Speed of headlights switching between dim & bright Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   qballbandit 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

Hello,
In the .eng file, I had adjusted all of my player engines "Sphere of Lights Dim" and Sphere of Lights Bright" FadeIn/FadeOut values as such:
FadeIn ( 1.5 )
FadeOut ( 0.75 )

This gave me a more reasonable speed for the lights when switching dim and bright lights on and off, or between dim and bright in MSTS.
I notice on OR, the speed is unrealistically fast (or defaulted away from my edited values), so do these values not get recognized by OR, or are the interpreted differently, which would lead to altering these values further?
Is there another edit for OR to get them at a comparable speed as I did for MSTS?

Thanks very much for any input.

Neil

This post has been edited by qballbandit: 20 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

View Postqballbandit, on 20 January 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

This gave me a more reasonable speed for the lights when switching dim and bright lights on and off, or between dim and bright in MSTS.
I notice on OR, the speed is unrealistically fast (or defaulted away from my edited values), so do these values not get recognized by OR, or are the interpreted differently, which would lead to altering these values further?
Is there another edit for OR to get them at a comparable speed as I did for MSTS?

We don't use the fade times when switching between different "on" states, so typically between dim & bright. They're only used for going between "on" and "off". This is probably a bug. :)

#3 User is offline   qballbandit 

• Apprentice

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:49 AM

Hello James,
Thanks very much for your reply.
Forgive my ignorance, as I am new to posting OR related questions here - when you acknowledge that it is probably a bug, is it then added to a list for future considerations for future releases?

Much appreciated,

Neil B)

#4 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

As I recall....a few years back..there was an issue that ONE and ONLY ONE headlight could be displayed at any one time. Thus unlike in MSTS, where multiple spheres of light were possible (been so long now, cannot remember exactly), it was possible to fade on sphere of light into another. Alas in OR we cannot do that, instead a sphere of light "comes on"...and transitions from dim to high are "fixed". You only get fading when the light is first turned on or lastly turned off.

#5 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

Far as I recall, even with the addition of the Bin patch, MSTS only ever allowed ONE sphere of light to be active at any time. The transition between high and low sort of gave the impression of two spheres being active, but that was just an illusion. Everything else was just a lightglow.

#6 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

View Postqballbandit, on 21 January 2017 - 05:49 AM, said:

Forgive my ignorance, as I am new to posting OR related questions here - when you acknowledge that it is probably a bug, is it then added to a list for future considerations for future releases?

It is not automatically considered, as we usually expect people to report the bug, but I've done it for you: bug #1705103. I've initially targeted the bug at version 1.3 (the next stable release). If you have any further details to add - like which value MSTS uses for the dim/bright fade - you can add a comment, or reply here and I'll transcribe to the bug.

#7 User is offline   qballbandit 

• Apprentice

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

Hello James,
I am late reading your reply, but thank you very much, I appreciate your actions taken.

Best,

Neil

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users